Matthew Perry -- I'm 'Going Away' to Focus On Sobriety

5/12/2011 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Matthew Perry tells TMZ he's making plans to "go away for a month to focus on [his] sobriety" ... as a proactive measure in his battle with substance abuse.

Matthew Perry

The "Friends" star issued a statement to TMZ ... saying, "I’m making plans to go away for a month to focus on my sobriety and to continue my life in recovery. Please enjoy making fun of me on the world wide web.”

We're told Perry has not suffered any sort of relapse -- but has planned the trip as a proactive measure.

Perry has struggled with substance abuse in the past -- checking into rehab for a prescription pill addiction in 1997 and again in 2001.

Amy

I wish him nothing but the absolute best! Good luck to you Matthew!!

joey _ I love TMZ 'til ya piss me off!

Hey Matt, if for some reason, for the little entertainment value it contains, you or you pals read these. I do know 2 very well-known people, here at the studio where I work who do,and you did speak to TMZ so...... I Think you're funny as hell and enjoy the movies and tv shows you do, so I won't be making fun of you. There too many people that "deserve" to be made fun of. Good luck to you! And come back to media!!!
Still lmao at the whole 9 yards
p.s. Please stay away from Sheen though

David

Finally someone who is responsible for himself. I will keep him and his family in my prayers.

joey _ I love TMZ 'til ya piss me off!

Oh yeah, I will make fun of you only IF you don't come back to entertain us!
best wishes

BB in CA

Perry, Take care - we love you. Reach out to your friends when you need them.

kitkat66

Good for you, Matthew!!! We love you-- take care of yourself! :)

Allen Ridak

A face lift wouldn't go astray either

Justsay Nohan

I'll miss "Mr. Sunshine" for awhile but you're doing the right thing and you came to that decision without being forced. It takes a lot of courage to admit you have a problem and then do something about it before it becomes an even BIGGER problem.

Take as much time as you need. Good luck and best wishes.

anonymous

this might just be the BEST.MEDIA.RELEASE.EVAR!!!!

Wedlsx

That sounds great.

chris

Matthew all good. you can do it.

Tara

‎@MatthewPerry is at 260...,738 followers on twitter. Will rehab increase his numbers? We'll be following. (it has increased other celebs)

w

Aw Mathew Perry, you are my Favorite friends character, always have been, I wish you the best of luck and there is nothing about you that anyone can make fun of, you are the funniest friend on the show, God Bless you sir and good luck.

sincerly,
A HUGE fan, W.

CyndiChainsaW

He's not even that old. Drugs make you look like crap!!

Carla

It's too bad that the media is so cruel that MP thinks he'll be made fun of. He's right unfortunately, but hopefully, he will be left alone to work it out.