Matthew Perry -- I'm 'Going Away' to Focus On Sobriety

5/12/2011 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Matthew Perry tells TMZ he's making plans to "go away for a month to focus on [his] sobriety" ... as a proactive measure in his battle with substance abuse.

Matthew Perry

The "Friends" star issued a statement to TMZ ... saying, "I’m making plans to go away for a month to focus on my sobriety and to continue my life in recovery. Please enjoy making fun of me on the world wide web.”

We're told Perry has not suffered any sort of relapse -- but has planned the trip as a proactive measure.

Perry has struggled with substance abuse in the past -- checking into rehab for a prescription pill addiction in 1997 and again in 2001.

EarthAngel

Love to you my friend! Your honesty, openness and willingness has such a ripple effect you will probably never be able to fully comprehend.....and healing through humor is such an awesome gift! May you connect with your amusement once again so that you can continue to share it with every heart that you touch. Einstein said "Great Spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds"....and the only REAL conflict in our life is to accept that we are both and get on with it.....

luaxanh07

I love him,he is a talent, I updated him on my web http://diendan.mientay.net

real deal

And it's important that we all know what Matt Perry is doing because ...?

Shar

I5 seems like everyone in Hollywood need rehab. Not a good place to live, apparently.

real deal

Sounds like he's applying for TAHM. Picking up right where Charlie left off. Too funny.

And Charlie Sheen is saying, "if only I had Matt Perry for my best friend 3 months ago, things would be sooooo different."

Wocka

Who cares? Has been from Friends.

leslie

MATTHEW- CONGRATULATIONS FOR TAKING YOUR SOBRIETY SERIOUSLY. TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF HELPS YOU TO CARE FOR OTHERS. CONTINUED SUCCESS ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Rayna

No one has any reason to make fun of him. He's a class act that just needs the right vehicle to showcase his charming talent.

Becky

Good for him. I think that when a person realizes they need to take a break and take time to get their life back together then he is going in the right direction to keep himself healthy and alive.

David

How old is this guy 55?

Sandra

His career has been in the toilet since Friends ended! Hope he can get clean and enjoy life!!

anonymous

i really despise these blatant liars...like matthew perry and all the rest of them...admit you blew it again, and again..you dont go in for a tune up...you were drinking, and/or drugging...you are an addict matthew, and you know it...family or not, it doesnt matter. why make yourself out to be better than human...admit that you are an addict and you went off the wagon...lying and denial keeps you in your addiction WHAT AN IDIOT. we do not respect you matthew..hope it is inpatient, and not like whitney and brookes crack cocaine out patient rehab to tune up their sobriety.

anonymous

90% of you posters need rehab for your DENIAL wake up and smell the coffee.. are you buying this crap????? matthew perry is an addict that has fallen off the wagon, and is denying it, and wanting to have you all believe how greater than thou he is..he is NOT..he is going into treatment because he has been using drugs and alcohol AGAIN, AND HE IS AN ADDICT, AND HE HAS A FAMILY...so, all you people that say atta guy,,,go for it...great going,,,good going...get realll...the guy, cant stop...get it...no matter what is at stake.this is his THIRD TIME...AND HE IS REALLY YOUNG...LETS SEE HOW LONG HE MAKES IT AT THIS RATE.

John Tyler

Too bad He couldn't have put a period after away.

Sunny247

I find it highly un-likely that he is going back to rehab without using but what ever his reason glad he's going back. Mtg's are cheaper just throw a buck in the basket and pick up the spiritual tools laid at your feet Mr. Perry. "It works, It really does"