Etta James -- Hospitalized with Low White Blood Cells

5/13/2011 6:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

R&B legend Etta James was rushed to the hospital last night with an extremely low white blood cell count ... TMZ has learned -- where doctors treated her for a potentially life-threatening infection.

0513_etta_james_exd_getty

Etta's manager Lupe De Leon tells TMZ, the singer's doctor was checking her white blood cell levels and discovered they were extremely low.

According to several reports, doctors at a Southern California hospital treated the 73-year-old singer for sepsis ... a potentially fatal blood infection -- but we're told doctors have since stabilized the situation ... and believe she'll be just fine.

According to her manager, Etta -- who was recently diagnosed with leukemia and dementia -- "will be home soon. She is a very strong woman and will probably live to be 100 years old."

Fawn

God Bless you Etta!

XDrinker

This woman is a legend in the singing world...she paved the way for others to come forward, like Beyonce, Lopez, and countless other blues, rock, and pop singers.

When Etta was in her heyday, women had to be 'perfect' and 'pretty' robots like Doris Day, blonde with a perky nose (oh wait, except Etta DID sport a blonde wig for a long time!) I saw one of her last performances in Boston, and she was AMAZING. I cried when she sang "Tell Mama"; a song that Janis Joplin adored and often sang at HER concerts.

Be well, Etta...your fans will never forget you...

THIN LIZZY

Get well Etta. God I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when she was at Chess records with all the other legends.

Truth

SHE MAY LIVE TO 100 BUT WHAT'S THE POINT WHEN THE QUALITY OF LIFE ISNT THERE ANYMORE. I DOUBT ETTA WOULD WANT TO BE BED RIDDEN FOR THE NEXT 27YRS. SHE RATHER BE DOING CONCERTS. SUCKS WHEN SHIET HAPPENS TO TALENTED PEOPLE AND NOTHING HAPPENS TO THEIR COPYCATS (BEYAAAWNCE).

Lizzie

SAD that only 4 people commented on THE MISS ETTA JAMES, THE BEST SINGER TO NO END!!!!! I PRAY that MISS ETTA JAMES
IS,IS, IS, IS able to live a good, healthy & SERENE life...

gossipgirl86

Get well soon LEGEND! LOVE YOU!

Jess

I hate to say this and bring bad news but sepsis is bad news. my grandma got it and she died from it. especially if it is in the blood. the doctor said because of the age it is very serious, the doctor said even if a person in their 20 or 30s would have to be hospitalized. it could start in other parts of the body. The fact she has leukemia and dementia dosen't look good. my grandma also had dementia. they can stabilize her but that really dosent change much, they stablize my grandma. The doctor did say there was like a 10 percent chance she would come out of it but her quality of life would be diffcult and not anywhere to what it used to be. I hope etta is in that 5 percent that makes it though but my grandmas doctor said it is rare.

Muppet

Awww good luck to her for a speedy recovery!
Get well soon!!

Ih8Taxes

Hope she gets better, I really like her voice.