'Idol' Finalist Gets $61,000 Homecoming Bash

5/14/2011 2:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"American Idol" top three finalist Scotty McCreery is so beloved in his small hometown of Garner, NC -- the locals have dropped more than $61 THOUSAND to throw him a homecoming bash today!!!

0513_scotty_ex_tmz_

We're told the town has already raised $45 thousand in CASH for the event ... and local companies have donated roughly 8 grand in services.

The event will include a traditional pork barbeque, local entertainment, crafts, a parade and a concert by the country crooner himself!

As a thank you for all the local love, Scotty is expected to take his acoustic guitar and sing a whopping SIX songs -- compared to the usual two or three he belts out on Idol.

Fun Fact: Census records show the total population of Garner is less than 30 thousand people -- and we're guessing every last one will be at the big party to support their hometown superstar.

Heilige Bimbam

Dear God, please, anybody but that godawful Haley. We have had enough of her screaming. It is all that rubbish talk from Lopez, who can't sing either, that a girl should win.Haley should have been kicked out ages ago.

Vickie Moody

Those of you that are angry that Durbin was voted off, he will do well. I read an article where he was interviewed in his hometown. He said at first he thought, "Gee, I've lost." Now he knows it is just "The Begining." He is ready to make his first CD...So I don't know why all the hateful coments about Scotty. Scotty deserves to be in the finals too.

NORTH CAROLINA LOVES YOU SCOTTY AND WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!
Hold your head high, keep your faith and always be true to yourself as I know you will. You are NC's son. I know Garner is so proud of their native son.
s

Luci

Scotty got to the final 4 by doing what he loves and appearently doing it pretty darn well. It's not everyone's style, but that's the beautiful thing about music..

Garner's population is less than 30 thousand people...I'm guessing every last one voted for him and will be at the big party to support their hometown superstar....

Carolina IS THE BEST!!!!

Jewel

Scotty, I luv him as he is..he is a winner already!

Phishsteak

I've watched every episode of Idol since it started. When I watched the first episode of The Voice, I realized just how ho-hum Idol really is. The judges have more chemistry from the 1st show than any of the Idol judges ever had. Randy seemed ticked off when Scotty made it farther than James, but he was constantly spraying his shorts over every one of his performances, "Feels like I'm at a Scotty Mc Creery concert" blah blah blah...He can definitely hold a tune, but not to be mean, he doesn't have the charisma or good enough looks and performance ability to be a star. I predict his career will pattern that of Taylor Hicks. I wonder if the judges will look back and feel like they over-praised most of the singers. When it comes to parting with their money, fans will support James Durbin, who will have more success than any of the other contestants of this season.

Pamela

Everyone has the right to voice there opinion. SO HERE IS MINE! Scotty did NOT have a smirk on his face when James got voted off. He cried...how do I know???I watched it..what were you watching??? Scotty is NOT boring! He does sing country and he has fun with it. He is trying just as hard as all the competitors that are in it. I think its just wrong (SERIOUSLY) for people to come on here and put a 17 year old guy down, WHAT?? You think he doesnt have feelings??? He is trying to do like all the rest of them and follow his dream..when he does he gets beat up. Thats just ugly!! Im disappointed with what some of you wrote in so many ways! Scotty all of your fans believe in you!

Jessica

Scotty is great. I went to this little shindig yesterday and it was great! Josh Turner showed up and sang with him and it was wonderful. Sad to see all these hate-filled comment on here. But again, this is TMZ...no more needs to be said!

Diane

I am so disappointed at the SMIRK on Lauren's face when James got booted!! What a little evil witch!! Maybe she is too young to win. Guess she knew he was her biggest competitor...

Bella

I think a few facts are in order here. Scotty's hometown concert 25,000 fans possibly 35,000, Haley's 12,000 (Town only gave out that many so if more wanted to go, guess they were sol), Lauren's 10,000 ($20 Lauren Tshirts were sold to raise money for family's LA trips). No mention that the anyone other than Scotty sang with someone else. He got to sing with Josh Turner who showed up as he began singing what is now known as his "theme song" surprising him. Who's REALLY the most popular? The numbers don't lie!

Asher

The story is about how the town had to raise money for the hometown concert. What choice did they have if American Idol was not going to pay for it. What??? Why not?? That is what should outrage you morons. This town is in a hurting economy like every other small town.
I live and love in Garner. I did not go yesterday because it is not my thing. I am very proud of Scotty. He goes to my church, my daughters high school...worked at our neighborhood grocery store. If it was your town you would think it was cool too.
What is outrageous is that Garner had to come up with the money to pay for the homecoming that Scotty deserved to have. Yep I said it he deserved a hometown celebration and we gave him a big one1 Go Scotty!

Camille

I live in North Carolina and I know James Durbin is 1000 times better than any of the other 3. James Durbin's elimination is ridiculous!

cathy

ALFRED E. NEUMAN!!!

Beverly from Oz

What is wrong with you Americans? If Scotty wins it just confirms what we think of the majority of you - all red neck good ol' boys christians - James was the winner.

Sharon

Scotty for only being 17 is a very good singer and he will have a great futre.He has a great personality.It should have been Scotty and James final 2 and to me they both are winners no matter what.I will buy cd's from both of these guys.
Haley is a snot,cant sing and should have went home weeks ago.
Lauren acts phony, yes she is only 16 but still she acts childish.
All the best to you Scotty..in winning it all and to a GREAT futre.

Brenda

All the kids are good. Scotty is my pick. They work hard to
sing the best they had.