Jon Cryer -- "Jazzed" About Future of "Men"

5/14/2011 4:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jon Cryer still has a job -- thanks in no small part to Ashton Kutcher -- and from the sound of things ... he's quite happy about it.

0514_jon_cryer_ashton_kutcher_REG
The "Two and a Half Men" star made his first comments yesterday about Ashton coming on board, joking, "Ashton is an extraordinarily talented guy, and his presence will be an asset to our show. We are old friends from our male modeling days, and we're both looking forward to being judged for our comedic artistry, as opposed to our exceptional physical beauty."

Cryer said he is "jazzed" the show is coming back -- and, despite all the recent upheaval, thanked Charlie Sheen, saying, "I'm extremely proud of the work we've done together, and I will miss him. But I'm also looking forward to this new beginning."

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

ksis

@Cally

Well, others who called Charlie after the whole thing started have families too. That's no excuse, imo.

And yes, he expressed his positive feelings towards his brother and Ashton Lutcher, which pretty much shoots down a lot of "sour grapes" theories.

Cally

@ksis, I think we're on the same page even if it doesn't seem so: I agree that some friends will have called, some won't (I'm speculating, of course, but based on life as I know it, that's how it goes) ... I would just question whether it's a black and white case of "no excuse" or not. I would be more inclined to think each person would have their own reasoning ... it would be a case of reasons to call/not to call rather than excuses. Some reasoning may be very well thought through and well-intentioned, others not. I'll never know in this case, but I just think that statistically it's likely that friends of Charlie reacted differently based on their own ideas of what would be helpful.

I have read many of these posts, and I find it quite dehumanising to see how people appear so willing to write off others. I don't defend Charlie Sheen and his record with women at all, but I do like to look at the wider picture, and I am heartened to see how his family love and support him, they know him best, why would they do that if he was as evil as these posts make him out to be?

It could be misplaced loyalty, it could be truth, it could be blatant lies ... I don't know, but I am inclined to think that ripping people apart for sport just becos you can is not ... sport. I hope Mr Sheen takes this time to re-engage with children, his family, his friends ... there's no reason that couldn't happen right now. The TV show (which I never watched) is just a tv show, this is a real person with real children and a real family, and I think that's all that matters, and it's all in front of the dad in this case.

ksis

Nothing is black and white, sure. But I look at this from my point of view that can only be formed by what I saw and heard from Charlie, because we have heard nothing from Cryer. Friendship is one of the most important and precious things for me, and since from what I heard from Charlie I gathered that he saw Cryer as his friend, I think that calling him was something that Jon should have done. In difficult times, even a small gesture counts.

Cally

Again ksis, I still think we're on the same page. In world of shades of grey, how can anyone actually KNOW what someone thought, what their reason was for that? I agree, it doesn't look good for Jon Cryer not supporting Charlie Sheen on the surface; but if Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer were truly good friends (and who knows, I certainly don't!), then Charlie will contact Jon, they'll talk, no problem. Expecting Jon Cryer to quit his pay on behalf of Charlies' principles (where his wife would have had very conflicting views)is not realistic. Did Charlie ever consider the consequences of his own decisions on his friend, did Charlie ever consider the conflict his friend would be put in? Did Charlie ever phone his friend to ask how HE was coping with the show (ostensibly) being axed?

I don't know, but again, I think it's a two-way deal ... and I think if Charlie were to talk to Jon Cryer about how it was for both of them, then maybe we wouldn't be having this conversation at all.

Autumn_in_Michigan

@Cally,

In one of the early videotaped interviews that Charlie did, I'm not certain but I think it was the one that he had TMZ tape at his house, he mentioned that he did get a personal call from Jon. I saw that mention at the time the interview was first aired.

He said that Jon had called him to see how he was doing and to send him well wishes. Charlie dismissed it as being weak. He was miffed at that point that what Jon hadn't done was to make a statement that he 'had his back" - or was on Charlie's side. This is how he says it in one interview online (below).

So, it comes across like he is saying that Jon never called him but that's not the case based on his earlier statements. He just never got the call that he wanted from Jon - the call that said "You are right Charlie and I have your back". We have no way to know for sure what Jon actually thinks, but its possible that Jon simply thinks like the majority of the people in the US that Charlie was not right. If so, then why would Jon be willing to back him up?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

"I'll apologize to Jon right now, I was in a mood and I threw that out to somebody [E! News]. I didn't know they—well I kinda knew they were gonna print it, yeah I knew they were gonna print it. I confuse myself," said Sheen. "It's a little bit a half apology. An apol. The reason I was upset I didn't get a text or a phone call or anything saying, "Hey, dude, back off, I got your back, or you got my back or there's a back involved.' "

mary

Charlie is why I watched...his one liners would break you up. He could just set on the couch and watch the TV and with a single nod or just faling to sleep you would crack up....I'm not saying he is perfect...but in the TV industry you are supported by sponsers who make money from their commercials...Charlie drew top dollar for the time slot...thats over if you let Charlie go. Your sponser will start to drop off one by one......

ksis

@Cally

No, we don't know how things really look, but that's why we have to rely on what those people say while making our judgements. Charlie felt like he should have gotten more support from Jon and that's why he jumped on him. He apologized later and case is closed. However I lost a lot of respect for Jon Cryer. But that's just me.

Jack DaCarup

That's for sure.

ksis

Oh why don't you just go back "there"? Obviously you are unable to discuss things with me and agree to disagree peacefully and respectfully so why do you even bother answering?

Jack DaCarup

I was just saying "That's for sure" to the fact that NOBODY really knows went on. I admit, it looks like I was referring to you but sorry I wasn't, just forgot to paste the original post.

Jack DaCarup

Then again, it's a free world, and I am allowed to post on these boards to just much as you are.

ksis

Sorry if I misunderstood. And sure you are, just like I am allowed to be sick and tired of people jumping on me for having an opinion.

Dorothy

Two and 1/2 Men is so OVER! Writing has been lame for AWHILE and now with Charlie, no reason to tune in now!

grace

Im looking forward to the new two and a half men. I would watch it even if it sucked just to send charlie sheen a message that he is washed up!! I think jon and angus could keep the show going on there own but ashton is just icing on the cake.

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10