Jon Cryer -- "Jazzed" About Future of "Men"

5/14/2011 4:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jon Cryer still has a job -- thanks in no small part to Ashton Kutcher -- and from the sound of things ... he's quite happy about it.

0514_jon_cryer_ashton_kutcher_REG
The "Two and a Half Men" star made his first comments yesterday about Ashton coming on board, joking, "Ashton is an extraordinarily talented guy, and his presence will be an asset to our show. We are old friends from our male modeling days, and we're both looking forward to being judged for our comedic artistry, as opposed to our exceptional physical beauty."

Cryer said he is "jazzed" the show is coming back -- and, despite all the recent upheaval, thanked Charlie Sheen, saying, "I'm extremely proud of the work we've done together, and I will miss him. But I'm also looking forward to this new beginning."

Kristen

I definitely do not agree with the Ashton decision but Chuck Lorre is a great writer nonetheless so I'm betting it will be a good show and he sees something we don't. For example, Sheen was never talented and look what Mr.Lorre did for him. At least it's clear Ashton isn't going to put all these people through what Sheen has put them through and they can all have somewhat drama-free jobs again. Jon probably put a lot of thought into what he said here and he came out a winner. Now can I get a woot woot?!?!

NYeratheart

AK is a funny dude, but his style of comedy (slap stick) seems to become stale with time. People will tune in, but I wonder for how long. Writing will be very important to the survival of this show. Anyway, will AK actually replace or just come on in another role, killing off the Charlie character?

Butterfly

JON CRYER is quite a gentleman who has remained neutral during this entire fiasco and goes about playing his part as a talented actor and carries his private life with utmost "class." As I said, "quite a gentleman!"

R

Loved the old Two and 1/2. Will watch the new Two and 1/2. Hope they make Alan a little more exciting/manly/effective. Love the kid, love the mom, love Rose, love Roberta.

Jodi

LOL...Jon is such a gentlemen in his "own" way...."We are old friends from our male modeling days, and we're both looking forward to being judged for our comedic artistry, as opposed to our exceptional physical beauty.".

I'm sure he had to bite his tongue to say something nice about the crackhead.

Autumn_in_Michigan

woot woot!

Kristen 31 minutes ago

ksis

Jon Cryer is an ASSSS. NOW he is proud???? Why couldn't he have said that to Charlie weeks agi when Charlie needed that more than anything?? JERK.

Jodi

NYeratheart 14 minutes ago

________________________________________________________________
Ashton is coming in as another character. I don't know if any reference will be made to Charlie's character or if it is how it will be explained why he is not longer around.

I know what you mean about Ashton's brand of humor and 2 1/2 Men is not that type of show. Chuck knows what he is doing so I'm betting Ashton is going to play his character in a way that will be different from anything we have seen him do.

I know Chuck would not have hired Ashton if he could not pull it off and make it believable as well as funny.

dianne

If anyone can pull this show off, Aston Kutcher can. He is a natural at comedy, and he's mighty easy to look at, as well. I'm just glad I can start watching the show again.

Pat

The show will tank before the year is out. It's Charlie that makes the show.

jxtr

Once again, John Cryer shows that he is funny and has class.

Jack DaCarup

GO JON!!

He's proud to have a job and not have to deal with an erratic crackhead for a co-star.

Nostradamus

Not only did Sheen take over the lead role in Spin City, he won a Golden Globe the first year.

angeleyes

I'm jazzed too Jon - Kudos to you for the classy comical comments - I never was a fan of the show but have been watching reruns and to me you did the heavy lifting in the acting category - I like all the cast and now will be watching how the writers create a part for Ashton - It should be fun going to work again!

Jon Cryer

Cryer was nothing before 2 and a half men. Sheen made the show. Cryer is a weasel.

This show is going to have a short shelf-life now. Nobody wants to see that girly-man Cryer.