Stephen Hawking Declares

'There Is No Heaven'

5/16/2011 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Renowned scientist Stephen Hawking doesn't want to rain on your parade or anything -- but he'd like you to know there is no such thing as heaven when you die. Debbie Downer!

0516_steven_hawking_heaven_TMZ_composite_2
In an interview with the Guardian, Hawking explained, "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

If there is no heaven ... how does he explain bacon, Bar Refaeli, and the iPad?

Different Rules Apply

Computers don't have souls!! I feel so sad for those of you human beings who are so closed that you don't see what is really going on here - we are all connected and part of a much bigger story. God doesn't mind, he loves you anyway. Just sorry that you have that emptiness to carry through your day, must be very dark and lonely.

JJ

that's why he's in a wheelchair because he does not believe in God.

jack-55d79

No. I think it's a great literary concept though. And whether there's some Roger Penrose-esque elements to consciousness are another question, but at the moment quite unlikely. I think that all that will be left after our minuscule lives, by cosmic standards, is what we've done, who we met, and the memories we create for other people. If that's not a reason not to be a **** you're doomed to be remembered as one. I'm not a strident atheist who gives a damn about what other people believe though. I don't shove my beliefs down their throat or view someone as less than me because I disagree with them.

peoplearesilly

Delusional, religious fanatics with no scientific evidence to back it up whatsoever expect the rest of us to believe it too.

Good for you if you think your life is better because you believe in God. I have a great life and I don't go to church or give my money to churches. If there is a God, you don't have to do that for him to believe in you. Church people are the most hypocritical group of people I know. Back stabbers who say behind your back you're going to hell. Ant they are holy? Please. Guess what? They're going to hell for saying stuff like that. There is nothing respectable or Godly about that. Until I see CONCRETE proof I will not believe it. If religious fanatics weren't so judgmental I might believe it more, but they are the most pathetic people on the planet as far as being judgmental.

The Observer

Interested to read what he thinks about all those disconnected but still similar stories from people who die and come back to life, or what is known as the near-death experience.

Durp

If I looked like hawking I wouldn't believe in god either.

Sherms

Such a sad story. Canon hits it on the nose in his/her post

sweetdee88

"If there is no heaven ... how does he explain bacon, Bar Refaeli, and the iPad?"

i can answer these...science, science, and science

science wins again; take that magic sky man

Rayna

He'll find out on Saturday. wecanknow.com

jj

This guy is a FOOL. I experienced AFTERLIFE and this guy will be sorry that there is a HEAVEN! I am a million times positive!

Areader

This guy needs Jesus!

Jay

I disagree, I think we are more than just our brains. We are a spirit as our animals not just humans. Think about it, all humans are differnt not two humans are alike. When you look into someones eyes you can see thier soul who they truly are. The brain is just yet another organ in our body just like a lung, kidney, heart. All of our organs function in the same way as does the brain. While its true some brains are effected by illnesses while others are not and while some brains can be higher functioning that can go for any organ also. Also as I said no two animals are alike either. If you look at a dog or a cat or any other animal its thier spirit that carries them not thier brain.

The brain does not make you who you are your spirit does. When the brain shuts down the spirit may or may not go on, that is a question that only a dead person can answer. I just think the brain gets too much credit.

LOL hope that makes sense. There have been cases of people who could remember their past life. All the facts actually checked out and were proven to be true. Also if you just die what about hauntings? I lived in a haunted house and I could feel the spirits that were there lucky for me they werent mean ones.

M

There's a direct correlation between IQ and religiosity. The higher your intelligence, the less likely that you will believe in God. Harvard and Yale have the highest numbers of athiests, while low-ranking colleges usually have the lowest.

Jay

Also Dondald Trump isnt running for president so there must be a God!

NatTxn

The scriptures tells us there will be life after death. I think Stephen will be pleasantly surprised. :)