Stephen Hawking Declares

'There Is No Heaven'

5/16/2011 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Renowned scientist Stephen Hawking doesn't want to rain on your parade or anything -- but he'd like you to know there is no such thing as heaven when you die. Debbie Downer!

0516_steven_hawking_heaven_TMZ_composite_2
In an interview with the Guardian, Hawking explained, "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

If there is no heaven ... how does he explain bacon, Bar Refaeli, and the iPad?

Tracy

hey JJ, I'd like to hear about your experience-I love to hear hopeful stories such as this.

Jay T

Why did it take so long to come to this conclusion? I always thought that the religion is for the uneducated masses to be controlled and coerced; It is definitely not for people who can think for themselves rationally.

Infidel

...and who the "F" is Stephen Hawkings?!?!?!

why should I believe anything this fool has to say, how's he qualified?

F*&% this dude!

Mike

Memory is stored bio-chemically in the brain.
So even if the brain's energy continues on without the body you will have no memory of anything from your corporeal being.

And without memory of who you were it's just the same as never have existing. You will be a new form of life.

scarface

you have a God given soul
do not allow Hawkings bitterness to influence you
someday it will be you all alone standing before your Creator
Jesus died for your sins

Leslie Jones

Proverbs 16:22

[22]A fountain of life is understanding to its possessors, The instruction of fools is folly.

Cinderf*ckinrella

confused in k-town 18 hours ago

>>And I don't think you were dropped on your head as a baby, it appears you have an urge to astral travel to different places that your physical body could/can never go. Why wait until you are dead?<<

The dropped on head as a baby is a feeble attempt at humor :) I've been astral travelling my whole life as well as lucid dreaming, which are very closely related. The first lucid dream occured at age 7. I told myself 3 times before falling asleep that I wanted to have a dream that night in which Ii realized I was dreaming and then I wanted to shake my head in the dream to wake myself up, and that is exactly what I did. While dreaming I remembered the conscious thought, was totally aware I was dreaming, proceeded to shake my head in my dream and thus awoke never looking back.

To astral travel my spirit passes through a glass window, and once I had the conscious thought while doing this to reverse my spirit and reenter my body. At once I felt really stuck and cold so I knew it was impossible to reenter in this manner, and so continued out through the center of the window to a landscape very similiar to the earthly landscape, but everything in beautiful pure brilliant colors. It is easier to astral travel when one is really tired. Not sure why this is so. I've travelled to the moon and back and far out into deep space where I looked behind my spirit to see a long silvery cord extending back to earth. This freaked me out a little. Other times I've shot out of my body so fast and high like riding a really cool ride.
____________________________________________
Confused in k-town
Thank you for your response about astral travel. I have brought stuff like this up before on here and usually just get called names and told I need to see a Shrink and get medication because I am crazy. Have you ever gone through the worm holes to other galaxies/realms? Like the one's in the movie, "Contact" with Jodie Foster. I have, so I am curious if others have done so or have attempted it.

Monojo

Over 1400 years ago it was emphatically announced and recorded in the Koran ( muslim holy book) that the world came into being with a big bang out of nothing and Hawking and others only came to confirm the big bang theory recently.Surely Hawking must realise that if the Koran confirmed the big bang theory over 1400 years ago and it could only have been from a divine source most definitely.

A man like himself who studies the universe surely knows by now that somebody up there confirmed his big bang theory 1400 years ago and beat him to it, now maybe out of jealousy he is denying Heaven and Hell and Gods words.

There are so many things confirmed in the Koran 1400 years ago
that scientist only discovered recently,in actual fact scientist if they are familiar with the Koran should be the first people to confirm Gods existence.

Monojo

There are so many things confirmed in the Koran 1400 years ago

Monojo

There are so many things confirmed in the Koran 1400 years ago

Cindi

No matter what your religion is or whether you have one or not, to declare that there is no heaven in non-sensical. No one has died, experienced heaven (or not) and come back to tell us. People that believe in heaven do just that: believe. They don't need to prove it. That is their faith.
But to actually scientifically state that there is no heaven defeats the whole belief in heaven: Faith! Something that Hawking does not have no matter how intelligent his computered brain is.

Victor Smith

Psalm 14:1 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”

I guess when he dies, he will burn in HELL forever and then he will know that there is truly a God. Oh, well, when he gets there, tell satan that I am not coming. Burn Baby Burn for all ETERNITY! OR REPENT FOR THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS AT HAND!

Michael Nelson

Stephen has it right, science and dicoveries of the last 1500 yrs really show how silly all religions are. So many humans need the crutch of religion, because they truely are weak minded. Most religious people(more than half)haven't even read the bible, they just believe what they are told because it makes them feel warm and fuzzy....
What fools....

doobeedoobeedoo

I just keep replaying his quote in my head in that strange C3PO voice.

Flower

He was all pro G-d when everyone fell on his every word. However, once he became the best known, but not the most respected scientist and his following faltered he suddenly claims there's no G-d! Apparently, even geniuses will do just about anything to gain the spotlight once they've felt its warm glow.

Previous 15 Comments | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments