Stephen Hawking Declares

'There Is No Heaven'

5/16/2011 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Renowned scientist Stephen Hawking doesn't want to rain on your parade or anything -- but he'd like you to know there is no such thing as heaven when you die. Debbie Downer!

0516_steven_hawking_heaven_TMZ_composite_2
In an interview with the Guardian, Hawking explained, "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

If there is no heaven ... how does he explain bacon, Bar Refaeli, and the iPad?

Mirosa

I'm not surprised this man has no belief system whatsoever. I guess given his physical disability and the emotional discomfort that must bring to his life it's easy to see how he might be sad and not have any room for a positive outlook on life or death. I feel sorry for him. I for one "choose" to believe in God (it's PC to say higher power...it's God to me.) there is something waiting for me after this life which has been a very blessed and good life. Yes, I thank God and my belief is what keeps me going and what has taught me to have compassion for others and from doing harm to others and in essence has made my life very happy. I have a wonderful family whom I taught love to, for themselves and others. I'm not embarassed that I believe in God and that seems to be taboo these days. It's not PC these days to have any kind beliefs system, other than in our selfishness that is, or to believe in a better life either here on earth nor in an afterlife and I find that very sad.

DR Tiamo

i have been previlaged to have met christ and saint christopher after to major man made accidents to my spine . there is a hgeaven Dr hawkings , please experiment with christ you will hear his voice and he will come to you and we will all be in heaven together

Tony

We do not even understand the ""Universe""'. which we are part of..... therefore what can be said about anything else?
Perhaps we might just consider that fact for a while..
before making any bold decisions..

Tony

VIVI

I met ghosts several times while I Lived at dark, old apartment in Los Angeles. Who can say no heaven? If ghosts exist, God definitely exists.

Sabina

Makes me so sad to look at Steven Hawkins in that poor twisted body, where nothing else really works but the left side of his brain, stuck in the material world... There is nothing more magical then Infinity, and the tickling thought, that everything is possible in this mindboglingly complex, yet amaizingly simple Universe. Everything is energy, and vibration rules the matrix, which is infused from beginnig to beginning with the constiousness traveling through Light, manifesting in love. Yes, there is a life continuum after the fall away of the material shell, in new awereness and challenges. He will find out soon enough, and will rejoyce finally leting this cripled body fall away from his real beautiful, perfect self. I'll see you later Steven :)

PraoWolf

I appreciate all your work in science Mr Hawking, but I must somewhat disagree. While I dont believe heaven is all roses like the bible or quran, I do believe there is some sort of afterlife. We are just bits of matter held together by gravity. I think there is some merit in my idea that dark matter is some sort of universal consciousness and it's this dark matter that somehow imbues life into us, so when we die our particles scatter throughout the heavens until they come together to create a new form of life, and once that life is capable our "soul" as it were, can enter that life and we have consciousness. There is a reason for everything, even if we can't see it.

Leo

what a pity, may be thats why GOD made him this way...

robert smith

If that is true I feel sorry for Muslims they won't get 17 virgins there.What a Pity? LOL

Zan

It doesn't take someone as intelligent as Mr. Hawking to know this one...

danielle

there is absolutely no proof of heaven. if there was, don't you think the church would put it out there? you can't prove what doesn't exist. how narcissistic to think you live on forever.kill yourself and come back and tell me all about it. oh wait you'll be rotting in the ground, you precious thing. i could just as easily say there is a place called creightanopia where everyone goes and eats lolly pops into eternity. i read it in a book so it has to be true. in fact i died for 2 minutes and went there. if you want the super treatment when you die, you must cut off you genitalia while you are still here. oh and no procreating, dirty birds! what would your god think of you judging, mr. hawking? to hell with you!

danielle

danielle

there is absolutely no proof of heaven. if there was, don't you think the church would put it out there? you can't prove nothing. i could just as easily say there is a place called creightanopia where everyone goes and eats lolly pops into eternity. i read it in a book so it has to be true. in fact i died for 2 minutes and went there. if you want the super treatment when you d, you must cut off you genitalia while you are still here. oh and no procreating, dirty birds!

9inch

Was God a Deadbeat Dad to Jesus?

Do Holy Ghoust only visit beleivers?

Did Adam and Eves children start incest?

Does the vatican look gay and over the top?

Will Hitler be in heaven if he gave his soul to christ?

Janis

What a dweeb. Who cares what he thinks, I dont kow why Kirt is even giving this jamope a second thought.

keyslammer

I myself am a believer that there is life after death, but I do have to say if I had been dealt the life he was dealt I would probably find it hard to believe.

Previous 15 Comments | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments