Charlie Sheen

Borrows $10 Mil

from Warner Bros.

5/17/2011 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Charlie Sheen -- who scored the biggest paycheck in TV before getting the boot -- had to borrow a huge amount of money from Warner Bros. during his last season on "Two and a Half Men."

0215-charlie-twomen-logo-ex
TMZ has obtained Charlie's contract for Season 7 (2010 - 2011).  The document -- dated May 17, 2010 -- requires Warner Bros. to pay Charlie $10 million within 10 days of the date Charlie signed.  Charlie was then obligated to pay the money back during the first 13 episodes.

To repay the loan, Sheen -- who was getting a base pay of $1.25 million a show -- had $769,230.77 deducted from each paycheck for the first 13 episodes.   But then there's this pesky issue of interest.  Under the deal, the interest -- calculated at the prime commercial rate -- would be deducted from the 14th paycheck.

Charlie was fired after the 16th episode, so Warner Bros. got its $$$ back.

As for why Charlie needed the money ... unclear.  With his profit participation, Charlie was raking in more than $2 million an episode, but it seems he was still burning a hole in his pocket.

On the bright side for Charlie, he was doing really well.  We got a copy of his original contract, and in Season 1, he made $160,000 an episode, and under the original deal he only got a 4% raise for additional seasons.  That contract was renegotiated after the show became successful.

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

angeleyes

Yes SIM - Life is about changes. Seems every decade of our lives there is something we must give up but it also opens a new decade of learning and doing. I've never been great at doing the heavy lift and carry work myself but being a designer I've always been the creator of something - last year I had all my decks, fences, pergolas and stonework redone - so I can relate to your project - it takes some time for the vines to regrow over the latticework but spring brings rebirth and the joys of accomplishment.

I admit I find more of a sense of peace and tranquility working in the gardens than anything I do inside the house - inside once changes are made they are static - outside there is a sense of wonderment as things grow.

So back to Charlie - I agree - this is an opportunity for a new beginning for his life - to decide what is of real value and what to discard. The past can be relegated to the dustbin and like the proverbial phoenix he can rise from the ashes of the past to a happier and healthier tomorrow. I hope he makes those choices for his betterment.

I'm sure TMZ will be on top of whatever happens and we'll wait and see. Enjoy your days!

Autumn_in_Michigan

@angeleyes,

I'm not very optimistic about Charlie, truthfully. He may survive financially - but he has so much rage and vindictiveness. Just not a good sign for health or happiness. But, as you say we'll all just have to see what actually happens.

The nice thing about a house interior being relatively static is that we then have more time to enjoy the outdoors. I'm with you on watching things grow.

Hope you enjoy your days, too.

angeleyes

Ha - a change of dinner plans and rain, means I can indulge in one of my guilty pleasures - the TMZ gossip comments -

I'm with you on the lack of optimism for Charlie - the rage is not a good sign - but he did seem to be curbing some of that towards the end of his tour - If he remains adamant about blaming everyone but himself for his misfortune I doubt that he will make better decisions in the future.

I was surprised by the new thread but think it's a publicity seeking move by the company that made the Offer to him as it's both too low and too restrictive to be of any value IMO. I'm sure there are many what I would term "bottom feeders" who will now be making him similar Offers.

It could mean the many distractions will prevent rational thought and planning - I guess its what prompted my suggestions in the business avenues of thought - taking him out of the public arena for income sources until he got a handle on his psychological issues and then hopefully land an acting job - I'd suggest a movie role as in spite of my earlier negativity to his talent I have seen skill in his acting abilities.

Autumn_in_Michigan

@angeleyes,

I agree with you that the other story is publicity seeking by the company, that they are bottom feeders, etc.

I don't actually have an opinion on Charlie's acting talent based on my own observation. If I ever saw him in a movie, I don't recall. I didn't watch Spin City or 2.5 Men. I guess Charlie Sheen was just never my cuppa tea. I only became interested in the "story" when WBs renewed his contract following the Aspen incident. I've been watching for the meltdown since then.

Assuming that he has the chops to act in an A grade movie, if he could land a role that would probably be best for turning the situation around. I'm not very optimistic about that possibility either for two reasons.

If he ever had a movie role that wasn't somehow related to his father's involvement I am not aware of it. His reputation as a serious actor was never that good. He REALLY lucked out with 2.5 Men at that point in his career. I don't see his father helping him out again unless and until Charlie has serious changes of heart.

The other reason is that Charlie is poison now in Hollywood. Even with his father's help, he may not be able to get a serious part in a quality movie.

Basically, I think that Lorre is right, he is now stuck with the bottom feeders. But, since Charlie really does seem to like sleaze, as long as there is enough money in it he probably won't care too much. Btw, have you seen the latest pics of Natty with the pink hair? Now, THAT's a class act.

Autumn_in_Michigan

P.S. Actually, I caught a few episodes of Spin City with Michael J. Fox, but not with Charlie. I also caught a few episode of 2.5 Men - usually when someone else was watching it - and if the episode seemed interesting I would watch too. I was tickled to see the episode with Rose's father and grandmother - gave the show some contextual history. I enjoyed watching Berta the housekeeper's put downs. She often struck me as the smartest character of the whole bunch. The whole scam with Courtney and her father had merit. But, I never watched the show for Charlie as much as despite Charlie - his role seemed 2-dimensional and predictably boring to me.

angeleyes

Well SIM I never saw Charlie in anything until the "meltdown" then I started watching the reruns of 2.5 Men - they got boring to me after a while but I did catch one - I think it was #195 that made me think well the guy actually can act - Never saw him in any movies either -
I do like the rest of the cast tho' - most seemed to have a more demanding role to play and like you found Charlie's role somewhat boring as time went on. I've got great hopes for the reworked show being fun to watch.

I'll check out the pink hair - thx! I did some searching on the business angle - seems Charlie registered a few companies on March 30, 2011 - so maybe something will happen in that regards - Masheen Inc. did have a patent application in 1999 for a dispenser for Chapstick dispenser - Actually I thought it was a good idea if it worked like a lighter with a slideback top and retracting lip balm feature.

I agree Hollywood will be wary of him for some time to come - he's burnt too many bridges to be invited back to the head table IMO -

I was once a stunt double for a principal actress in a major movie - the actress acted out on a location shooting - she caused the whole cast and crew to stand around and wait while she got her rocks off with a grip in a nearby ditch - the producer and director were fuming as they watched the light go on the shot and money being burned up but when she came back to the set - everyone was ever so nice to her - Miss this and Miss that - cowtowing to her, it put me off so much I had no further use for the business and I was only 20 something at the time. In time that "diva" also suc***bed to drug and booze obscurity also -

That may well be Charlie's future result from this episode.

Autumn_in_Michigan

@angeleyes,

Your stunt double experience is pretty much the way that I imagine things were on set with Charlie. I really wouldn't be surprised if he is facing obscurity, whatever comes from his business ventures.

Green Fairy

@SiM, Angel Eyes
I've been following Charlie's story as I work at a Rehabilition Facility and have seen a few 'charlie's'. From what I've seen, unless he decides once and forever to clean his life up, no amount of rehab etc will ever work. All his previous rehab stints didn't work because he didn't go off of his own bat - they were usually as part of sentencing, parole or a damage limitation exercise. We've had people like that through our doors and, quite frankly, it's a waste of everyone's time, work and patience. They come in, serve their 'time' and go out and back to their old life. We know they're going to do it, they know they're going to do it and it's disheartening to say the least. Until Charlie says the words 'I need help' I don't see much happening differently in the future I'm afraid. His family look to be giving up and any real friends have probably backed away now, you can only push people aside so many times, and at the moment he's rendered himself pretty much unemployable. The big danger sign now is that with the tour ended + he's been overtaken in the media scrum by Arnie, that he'll now have a lot of time on his hands with not much to fill it. The latest girlfriend / paid escort / whatever doesn't seem too bright or the source of intelligent company (tho' I'm sure that's not what she was employed for!). The fact that he has actually been replaced - and by someone younger, better looking and with all his own teeth - must be smarting, I don't think he thought they ever would replace him so that certainly must have come as a slap in the chops. He needs time out of the public eye to think through what he really wants, what made him go down the road he has, and just what he is / and always seems to have been so bloody angry about.
Just finished a night shift so off to bed now, have a good one!

angeleyes

@Green Fairy - I hope you got a good sleep as you do a hard job for sure! I agree with your observations. Having been in rehab previously Charlie likely knew the drill and didn't like how it limited his desires to do whatever he wanted and not taking his problems seriously or doing any soul searching he refused the help this time around. He pushed his family away and yes after some time both family and friends do "let go and let God" take Charlie down whatever path he chooses. For everyone's mental health they do have to let go of trying to control his life or cover up for him.
I actually don't hold much confidence in him doing the soul searching and getting the help he needs - he has been on this path since he was 15 and now he's 45 - So it seems like an ingrained habit by now. There are many good actors who have built solid careers and lives by that age - Charlie has lots of competition for acting jobs and his current unreliability and rage at his last employer works against him. He does not have a stand-up routine to do a tour with nor a vehicle to keep him in the public eye which seems to be his desire. There is a reckoning also that he is aging and his lifestyle hasn't promoted a healthy aging either. From what I've read he's been "party-boy" most of his adult life and to get the "zest" he seems to crave out of life it's likely he will continue down this path until he destructs - Sad to observe that a man at the pinnacle of his career would choose this path but that seems to be the one he's currently on.
Yes he seems so angry, casting blame on everyone else and unable to take responsibility for his part in the demise of his relationships with anyone which to me signals a lost cause.
He needed that realization that he is indeed replaceable and nows he's got it - Perhaps its the "wake-up" call to turn his life around but I wouldn't place money on that bet.
Enjoy your day!

Autumn_in_Michigan

@Green Fairy,

Well, thank you, thank you! That is a great summation given by someone who obviously knows what they are talking about.

That is exactly how I view his rehab stints as well. As his father Martin, who has over 20 years clean and sober, has said - real rehabilitation requires accountability. Accountability is exactly what Charlie DOESN'T have.

Moreover, unless there has been a recent firing, his personal assistant Rick Calamaro is still on board. Rick was in the midst of all of Charlie's more recent misbehavior - including the Plaza Hotel incident involving drugs, alcohol, and hookers for Charlie AND for his entourage; the winter holiday 40 lbs lost mega party; and so on right up to today. There are some people who feel that Rick is not only a bad influence on Charlie, but he was the one who supplied him with drugs, and gives him advice now on how to play his sobriety? WTF?

Not only has Ashton replaced him at 2.5 Men, now whenever I do a Charlie Sheen news search I get articles on Ashton more than Charlie. These articles further rub it in that now instead of being all about Charlie, its all about Ashton - as more than one article stated.

I agree that now would be a good time to lay low and to reflect - to do a mid life life review. But, he doesn't seem to be doing that, if recent events are true. Once I have checked a few things I may have more to post.

Roxanne Stones

Rick Calamaro gives me the heebie jeebies!

MIKE

CHARLIE IS A TALENTED ACTOR. BUT DRUGS CAN CAUSE PEOPLE TO DO
CRAZY THING. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE, OR EVER HAD A DRUG PROBLEM
THEN YOU CAN NOT JUDGE HIM, FOR IT IS A SICKNESS. I HOPE HE GET
HELP SOON. HE WILL BE MISS ON TWO AND THE HALF MEN.

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12