« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

MLB Legend Harmon Killebrew -- Dead at 74

5/17/2011 7:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Minnesota Twins Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew passed away this morning after a battle with esophageal cancer.

Harmon Killebrew Cancer

The baseball legend died in his home in Scottsdale, Arizona with his wife Nita at his side.

Killebrew was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in December.

He announced in a press release last week that he was stopping treatment for the disease -- which had "progressed beyond [his] doctors’ expectation of cure."

He was 74.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Monix

In response to:

"WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU SMOKE AND CHEW THAT DAMN TOBACCO. NOT A SURPRISE... "

This was written by "Truth" a little while ago and I want to let him know that you don't have to smoke or chew tobacco to get this form of cancer. What a nasty thing to say. This type of cancer is a horrible death and I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. He needs to google esophageal cancer and find out the other contributing factors such as acid reflux disease or exposure to harmful chemicals. My mother died of this disease and she never smoked or drank a day in her life. Get a clue before posting your messages of hate. Not all baseball players chew tobacco either DUMBASS!

CCC

To poster Monix - Thank you. I wanted to comment on that also, but you said everything I was going to say. So sad about your mother, but your happy memories of her will carry you through the rest of your life. Keep your chin up.

world_ends_soon

Can we please find a cure for cancer?

sgm

Mr. Killebrew was a great guy! I had the great opportunity to meet him. RIP

Russ Stichler

Rest in peace, Harmon. I treasure the experience of watching you play the great game of baseball. You made this old Senators fans life a better experience and I will never forget you.

Hughster

A great player, a better man. One of the things he stressed to today's players was having a legible autograph. When you sign something for a kid, he or she should know who signed it.

Vonarie

I grew up near him and his family. He was a class act through and through. One of my funniest childhood memories is when his son Cam was trying to teach my brother how to hit a baseball in our back yard and ended up sending it right through my parent's dining room window. Rest in Peace Harm - I only wish today's athletes were half as classy as you always were.

Back2TheFutureFan

TMZ, am so very proud of you posting this article about an athlete every person can be proud to look up to, both on AND off the field. I had the honor and privilege of meeting Mr. Killebrew at a convention in my area. He could not have been more gracious, accommodating, and nicer to all of the fans who attended. Am so glad to see others are echoing their sentiments and memories. My warmest and deepest sympathies, prayers, and well wishes to Mr. Killebrew's family during this difficult time.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2