Mel Gibson -- Booed at Cannes for Something New

5/18/2011 12:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson was booed like crazy while tooling around the Cannes Film Festival -- but it's TOTALLY not for the reason you would think ... or the OTHER reason you would think. Or the other ...

Check out TMZ on TV -- click here to see your local listings!

Puckett

Well I see Mel is perpetuating the European stereotype of the fat uncouth American while in France.

little aussie reader

Um, Jesus drank. Drinking is not a sin, I don't think gambling is one either, smoking is not illegal and I'm pretty sure there's more than a few catholic priests who indulge in all three.

I do seem to recall reading judge not, lest ye be judged.

Puckett, you must live an amazingly pious life to be so sure in your condemnation. Yet here you are, on a gossip website.

Paul said that gossips and bad-mouthers were in the same league as murderers, sexual perverts, and God haters - and that such sins were worthy of a death sentence!

Uh-oh! Puckett, doomed - check!

kali

Hi Little, great post!

Puckett

Sorry Little Aussie but i'm not the one going around pretending to be a pious devout Catholic all of my life. You know, like Mel.

I'm not a hypocrite like that. I'm all too human and have the common sense to not publicly set myself up for failure and ridicule like that.

little aussie reader

Hiya kali! Thanks :o) How's you? How's the window licker?

kali

Window licker is good, hows Maggie?

This place has become hard to stomach though with fools and their holier than thou foolishness. Who the heck do they think they are??

little aussie reader

Now Puckett, if being catholic meant you were without sin, well there wouldn't be the concept of confession now would there? Mel is not the Pope. The Christian religion preaches forgiveness.

In this latest instance it was not Mel who set himself up for ridicule, it was Oksana. You can't really believe that what she did was in line with the faith she professed to convert to.
Can you?

Puckett

And by the way i'm pretty sure heavily drinking throughout life to the point that you've picked up a couple of DUIs is sinful.

Mel's publicly admitted that he has battled with alcoholism throughout his life.

""I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested," the actor said in a statement issued by his publicist. "I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse." - Mel Gibson 2009

little aussie reader

kali - Mags has had a relapse. Had to go to Sydney for a funeral a few weeks ago. Very short notice and the only person we could get to dog-sit brought her own dog along (against our advisement). They played and played and Maggie has injured herself again. :o(

Know exactly what you mean about the holier than thou and agree completely. It's gag-worthy the standards these people want to hold others to, without holding themselves to the same.

Puckett

Sorry again Little Aussie but Oksana's failings as a human being do not excuse Mel's own shortcomings. He choose to react the way he did of his own volition. Oksana didn't make him do anything.

kali

Little, hopefully she heals up quickly :(

Sometimes I think its stupidity but then sometimes I think some live to argue.

little aussie reader

Puckett - I don't remember reading anything about riding your camel under the influence. Oh believe me, there are some women in this world who know how to push buttons. I don't blame Mel in the slightest for reacting the way he did in private. I blame Oksana for taking, what was probably, a mans lowest moment and making it public.

little aussie reader

Thanks kali, I'm hoping so too.

Yes indeedy, some do live to argue. I can only argue with stupidity for so long. And on that note - it's time to start dinner. See you soon I hope kali. :o)

kali

lol! cya later :)

Puckett

"Puckett what is the REAL issue with hiring Robert Downey, Jr. other than he's another genius who deserved a break in Follywood."

Actually when it's a business proposition and there are millions of dollars on the line, "deserving a break" as a recovering drug addict isn't good enough for a lot of investors.

So Mel gambled and it paid off. Why should i fault "Follywood" for not gambling their money on a recovering drug addict who had a history of relapsing? They had good reasons not too, and plenty of other less risky options.