University

THREATENS Students

Over 'Jersey Shore'

5/19/2011 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Officials running a study abroad program in Italy are FURIOUS over rumblings that one of their students partied ON CAMERA with the "Jersey Shore" crew ... and now the school has issued an ultimatum -- stay away from the guidos or be expelled from the program!

0518_jersey_shore_uof_ex_2
The University of Florida sent out an email to students participating in their study abroad program in Italy -- which states "any student who does agree to participate in the filming of the show, or who signs a waiver or legal agreement of any sort with MTV, will be dismissed from the program immediately."

TMZ obtained the email -- warning the students that any action deemed potentially embarrassing to the school "will not be tolerated."

The school has also threatened to contact the student's parental units to inform them why the school would be kicking them to the curb.

Funny, we thought the U of F mascot was the Gator ... not the Rat.

UPDATE: The UF is now changing their tune ... TMZ spoke with Janine Sikes, UF Director of Public Affairs, who tells us, "Generally speaking, students may participate in activities outside their Study Abroad program as long as they meet the academic and living requirements of that program."

Sikes explained ... the university acknowledges that a school administrator DID send the original email to students ... but now states, "This is a reversal of the UF administrator’s position."

KG

Sounds like BS, let them kick out a few students, I am sure they will get a huge settlement after they file suit...the University has no right to control the students to that level

Gatanegra

Legally the school is NOT allowed to contact parents if the students are over 18 years of age. Good luck with that threat.

GatorTruth

There's a follow-up from the University of Florida. This is a non-story:

From the University of Florida spokesperson Janine Sikes:
"Federal law prohibits the University of Florida from discussing specific matters relating to our students. However generally speaking, students may participate in activities outside their Study Abroad program as long as they meet the academic and living requirements of that program.

Signing a contract as described by TMZ would not violate UF’s Student Conduct Code and students would not be subject to any discipline."

I am Spartacus

theres no way they could do this, they would be sued. So its ok for kids to go out and party on their free time while studying abroad as long as they don't end up on that tv show? Give me a break.

Ro

How is that legal?? Here or there, if they are over 18 (an adult), how can they do that?? Plus, as someone just stated above, I'm sure these kids party just as hard at Univ. of Florida as they do in Italy!! Don't really care WHO they are partying w/ but think it's ridiculous this school thinks they should have a say-so in how they entertain themselves anywhere off campus!!

DDelano

Let me guess...all of you saying negative things about UF even went to college? Before you start saying ANYTHING about Florida, get your facts straight you morons.

UF is one of the LARGEST CANCER RESEARCH foundations, #53 in US News ranking, won MULTIPLE national championships, one of the top MBA programs (literally top 25) and it is currently the 7th best public university in the nation.

Yes, its a party school but Gators play hard AND work hard.

Maria

Srsly, DDelano. This isn't FSU. Some fools hear "Florida" in the name and think, "Oh yeah, that school in Tallahassee . . . "

Carriss

I was gonna say... you can't forbid them from hanging out with anyone, so long as they meet the requirements of the study program. But, the backpeddling administrator said it for me.

Sherms

A college?? Trying to enforce rules that are given to elementary students of a private school?? It's one thing if the students did something derogatory to come back negatively on the school (I guess hanging out with the crew could be perceived as derogatory enough...haha), otherwise - they are adults, and she be able to make that decision on their own.

danny

If you are a football player at FU then you can beat on and rape your girlfriend and you still get to play football, but if you are a regular student then they will kick your ass out if you do anything to embarass the school. I guess sexual perversions are not embarassing to the school or is maybe money the issue.

A Fish Called Wanda

-Damon,
Actually, they can expell. If they are a part of an overseas program, they, as representatives of their school, must act accordingly to regulations they agreed upon before joining the program.

Ms. Jennifer

"Jersey Shore" ???
They are an embarressment to the American Culture in general. They LOOK ridiculous, ACT uneducated..and GENERALLY are gross. But the funny thing is...they make more than me!..and I went to college, and have a "real" job. Now even more horrifying for me is that I am Italian American, and buy no means to they represent me or my culture. Nor would I want to..UGLY! They are what? Early twenties..imagine what they will look like at 30? 40? Did you imagine a dried up prune? Because I did!

Our society has to stop idolizing these baffoons. I mean really "NONE" of those guys are attractive..They look slimey..I mean if you touched them they would leave some type of residue, that I am not sure would come off...

MTV..will do anything for money..What is that damn channel about anymore? Controversy...it used to be about Music.

Superman

The officials of the Study Abroad Program did the right thing. And now, immoral lowlifes higher-up the chain are doing the university a disservice by catering to the POS of the world!!!

weird al yankovich

I don't know why there is so much hatred for these fools. I actually thought worse of guidos before watching the show. The show actually made me see they have some good hearts and are kinda cool .

Don't get me wrong they're idiots and ****y but whatever no one is perfect and I applaud these dodo heads for making the cash most of us want and can't ever make.

Go ahead gudios get your 15 minutes in. I wish I even had 1.5 minutes to shine lol and most others do to that's why they hating ..

Peace

Weird

tlcmk

In other words, the University's lawyers pointed out that telling people what they can do on their own time is against the law. Unless I am missing something, these kids are paying to go to school.

And, these are the intelligent people educating out kids? May god help us.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments