« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Macho Man Randy Savage Dies In Car Accident

5/20/2011 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Macho Man Randy Savage -- one of the greatest wrestlers of all-time -- died today in a car accident in Seminole, Florida ... TMZ has learned.

Randy Savage Car Accident Dead

TMZ spoke with Randy's brother, Lanny Poffo, who tells us the wrestling legend suffered a heart attack while he was behind the wheel around 9:25 AM ... and lost control of his vehicle.

Earlier this month, Savage celebrated his 1-year anniversary with his new wife Lynn.

Savage was 58.

Macho Man began wrestling in the WWF in 1985 and became a superstar with his trademark catchphrase "Ooooooh Yeaahhhhh." Savage was so popular, he became the spokesperson for Slim Jim in the mid '90s ... and became virtually synonymous with the brand.

UPDATE: Florida Highway Patrol tells TMZ ... Savage was driving his 2009 Jeep Wrangler when he veered across a concrete median ... through oncoming traffic ... and "collided head-on with a tree."

Savage was transported to Largo Medical center, where he died from his injuries.

Savage's wife was a passenger in the vehicle during the collision -- but survived with "minor injuries." She was transported to a different local hospital where she was treated.

0520_randy_savage_wife_lynne_payne_getty_swipe_2

According to officials, Randy and Lynn were both wearing their seatbelts at the time of the accident.

Cops say alcohol was NOT a factor.

An investigation into the accident is underway.

Randy Savage

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Bordiss

Maybe the Undertaker can bring him back?

Mary Kay

One of my most favorite wrestlers of all time--we go way back Randy and I--I will miss him terribly-Rest in peace my "Macho Man".

Rafael

GONNA MISS YOU RANDY MOST UNDERRATED WRESLTER OF ALL TIME!!!!!!

Ben

Truly sad. Randy Savage DID NOT start wrestling in 1985 for the WWF...By 1985 he had wrestled for 12 years.

Kagome

My Prayers go out to his wife and family and Friends. RIP Macho Man! It`s a shame he died so young.

jpm4444

this sucks so bad; who would ever forget jake the snakes cobra biting macho man.

Chris O

TreeMileZune is an idiot ladies and gentlemen as is Midnight Toker, I hope you BOTH die in car accidents, and I hope you two Suffer before you die.

Sue

R.I.P. Macho Man. You gave me many great hours of entertainment. You will be missed.

TMZ dont like me

OH NO! FAREWELL MACHO MAN! GODSPEED, BROTHER. I know Hulk, Roddy Piper, Ricky Steamboat, and Ric Flair are all bawling their eyes out at hearing about this tragic news....

anonymous

Why were they transported to different hospitals?? And why is TMZ the only "news" source reporting this info, before even the local news of the area???

Mimmala

Ms. Elizabeth, Andre the Giant, The Junk Yard Dog and Ravishing Rick Rude will be waiting at the gate to greet you - R.I.P. Randy - you will be missed!!!

Michael

Sad day. One half of the Mega Powers is gone. RIP Randy!

ralphie the one-eyed

No more Bonesaw?
MST3K will need new source material. A sad day for us all.
~meow

ronna collins

R.I.P. RANDY YOU WILL TRULY BE MISSED, I WATCHED YOU AS A LITTLE GIRL WHEN I WAS GROWING UP YOU WERE ONE OF MY FAVORITES. LOVE AND MISS YOU ALWAYS. AND TO YOUR WIFE MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOU.

sc1432