« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Macho Man Randy Savage Dies In Car Accident

5/20/2011 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Macho Man Randy Savage -- one of the greatest wrestlers of all-time -- died today in a car accident in Seminole, Florida ... TMZ has learned.

Randy Savage Car Accident Dead

TMZ spoke with Randy's brother, Lanny Poffo, who tells us the wrestling legend suffered a heart attack while he was behind the wheel around 9:25 AM ... and lost control of his vehicle.

Earlier this month, Savage celebrated his 1-year anniversary with his new wife Lynn.

Savage was 58.

Macho Man began wrestling in the WWF in 1985 and became a superstar with his trademark catchphrase "Ooooooh Yeaahhhhh." Savage was so popular, he became the spokesperson for Slim Jim in the mid '90s ... and became virtually synonymous with the brand.

UPDATE: Florida Highway Patrol tells TMZ ... Savage was driving his 2009 Jeep Wrangler when he veered across a concrete median ... through oncoming traffic ... and "collided head-on with a tree."

Savage was transported to Largo Medical center, where he died from his injuries.

Savage's wife was a passenger in the vehicle during the collision -- but survived with "minor injuries." She was transported to a different local hospital where she was treated.

0520_randy_savage_wife_lynne_payne_getty_swipe_2

According to officials, Randy and Lynn were both wearing their seatbelts at the time of the accident.

Cops say alcohol was NOT a factor.

An investigation into the accident is underway.

Randy Savage

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Brian Hubartt

You are in a much bigger and better ring now Macho Man. "OHHHHHH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Lauren

i think some of you need to have a little more better manners! this was a human being who had feelings, a family, friends, and fans who really respected him. the man is dead, yall could be a little more sympothetic! plus you wait till he is not here to defend himself to talk crap about him. im sure that none of you knew him personally, and if you did, then i know your not the ones who are talking badly about him. yall should be ashamed of yourselves! what if you died people said things like that about you? im sure you dont want anything like that to go on when you pass on!

TMZ - SUCKS!!!!

HEY TMZ HOW BOUT YOU DON'T USE BLACK HAT TECHNIQUES TO SEO http://www.tmz.com/2011/05/20/randy-savage-car-accident-macho-man-DEAD-DIES-DIED-KILLED-wwe-wrestler-florida/
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
SERIOUSLY???????

Pete

I remember seeing you live wrestle the Million dollar man and honkey tonk man in the late 80's. RIP.....

Russ Sukut

R.I.P Randy you will be missed. Thanks for everything you did in WWF/WWE, and WcW. I keep getting ppl coming up to me and ask how do i feel about his death. Like Shawn Michaels once said coming into your living room every week it's like your been my family all these years and i would love to say to all of you that i love you and thank you. No matter if you are in WWE or TNA. Yeah it's sad he died but he will always live in our hearts. Before i go i just want to say, wrestlers are just like you and me they love Wrestling and they love this great country we live.. Thanks Randy for giving it all you had in the ring. W will miss you.

johnjoseph Smith

this was an awsome guy.gave his all. for the fans vince youer an ass hole i hate you
hope to see you in hell.

starasia

Rip Randy Savage you will be missed and we all love you and will miss you and I am going to a prayer for his wife because I know this is a sad moment for her and Randy parents of they lost and I am sorry and hope his famuily can be strong for him.

amiwright

R.I.P. Macho Man Randy Savage. My condolences to his wife, family, friends and fans. I am one of them. My son and I use to watch him everytime he was up to wrestle. Ooooohhhh Yeahhhhhh. He will be missed. He did voice overs also.

patty

our prayers are with lynn and the family.god be with all of you.
patty

patty

our prayers are with lynn and the family.god be with all of you.
patty

Hugh Grimmett

I love to watch the macho man westle when i was a kid all i can say is rest in peace macho man we love brother.

Hugh Grimmett

I watched the Macho Man westle when i was a kid rip macho

mohd ali

he is still in our heartz he is real ohh yeah!!!!!!!

walter williams

hi i was watching wrestling back in 1970 i was about 7yrs.when i was was watching wrestling i love all the wrestler back then i watch from the 70's until now i will never miss one wrestling at all

Bernadette

Wow! that's so sad. My best goes out to his family. These wrestler's work so hard, and achieve respect you hate to see anybody that works this hard in life end up so tragic in death.

Previous 15 Comments | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments