« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Macho Man Randy Savage Dies In Car Accident

5/20/2011 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Macho Man Randy Savage -- one of the greatest wrestlers of all-time -- died today in a car accident in Seminole, Florida ... TMZ has learned.

Randy Savage Car Accident Dead

TMZ spoke with Randy's brother, Lanny Poffo, who tells us the wrestling legend suffered a heart attack while he was behind the wheel around 9:25 AM ... and lost control of his vehicle.

Earlier this month, Savage celebrated his 1-year anniversary with his new wife Lynn.

Savage was 58.

Macho Man began wrestling in the WWF in 1985 and became a superstar with his trademark catchphrase "Ooooooh Yeaahhhhh." Savage was so popular, he became the spokesperson for Slim Jim in the mid '90s ... and became virtually synonymous with the brand.

UPDATE: Florida Highway Patrol tells TMZ ... Savage was driving his 2009 Jeep Wrangler when he veered across a concrete median ... through oncoming traffic ... and "collided head-on with a tree."

Savage was transported to Largo Medical center, where he died from his injuries.

Savage's wife was a passenger in the vehicle during the collision -- but survived with "minor injuries." She was transported to a different local hospital where she was treated.

0520_randy_savage_wife_lynne_payne_getty_swipe_2

According to officials, Randy and Lynn were both wearing their seatbelts at the time of the accident.

Cops say alcohol was NOT a factor.

An investigation into the accident is underway.

Randy Savage

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60

john

Fella's The name for a wig over a a womens love spot is called a MERKAM.........Or a Cammale toe saddle...Please forgive the spelling.......

Mrs SamanthaSamanth

I used to have the biggest crush on the macho man. RIP My son and I will miss you

gustavo salas

we will all miss you randy macho man oooooooooooooooooooooooooh yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa r i p u will be missed 4life

Brandon Fields

I loved mocho man. I use to watch him as a kid and as a adult he will be missed buy me. I was won of his biggist fans. And my heart goes out to his family.

Ignatius Begumanya

Ohhhhhh yeahhhhhhhh we shall miss that.May his soul rest in peace.

Don

Their are far and few men that keep us entertain as he did as a child I would trued to talk like him , in my twenties I wanted to look like him thank u for so much u gave us

Joseffa

I remember Randy well, he was great and always gave us a great show. telefonkonferenz

Troy Zakrzewski

i miss him soo much cry cry lov you

when?

when did he die?what year

CalebsGramma126

Macho Man was an amazing wrestler and entertainer. He , like a lot of other wrestlers, unfortunately, die just after they finally get their life on track and finally back on track. I feel so sad for his new wife. So tragic.

Previous 15 Comments | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60