« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kyle Busch on Speeding Bust -- 'I Got Carried Away'

5/24/2011 4:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kyle Busch just issued a sort-of apology for his 128 mph speeding ticket -- chalking up his ridiculous speed to a test drive gone wrong, and the blatantly obvious ... "I got carried away."

0524_Kyle_Busch_GETTY_BN

In his statement Busch says , "I was test driving a new sports car and I got carried away. I went  beyond the speed I should have been going on a public road. I apologize to the public, my fans, sponsors, and race teams for my lack of judgment."

The NASCAR bad boy was driving a Lexus LFA when cops in Troutman, NC pulled him over today ... doing 128 mph in a 45 mph zone. BTW ... the LFA packs about 552 horses!

Busch added, "I take responsibility for my actions and I can assure you that something like this will never happen again."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

lukebandit

Well, Kyle, while you say you got carried away, yada, yada, yada, would you still use the same babble when someone you hit and killed while you were driving 128 mph was being carried away in a body bag? You should of been arrested! It is insane that you were not arrested. If you want to drive that car to test it, you should of took it to a race track, not in the community. What a jerk! Can't believe M and M's is his sponsor!

Rhubino

Where I'm from driving 30 mph over the speed limit is called "stunting" by law enforcement. It can, and usually does, get you a $2500 fine and loss of your car and license for 7 days.

kinser

Kyle should Google 'Robby Moroso' to see what happens to d-bags that speed when they're not on the track.

Cardinal Ximenez

I'm guessing most people commenting haven't driven a car designed for that kind of performance. I'm also guessing most don't have his driving skill. He broke the law, yes. No question. But 128mph in that type of car is probably safer than 60mph in a ford Explorer. It also only takes about 12 seconds or so for that car to reach that speed and same to return to zero. Undoubtedly he punched it and quickly decelerated.

That being said, I don't think he was seconds away from mowing over baby carriages and school children. That is forum hype from people that hate anyone that drives a car that cost more than $15k.

He could pull of the same speed easily on the freeway and no one would give a rats ass. Bottom line, poor choice of location.

Laugh at Cella

Cella so I guess you never sped? #hypocrite #sychophant

shelly

mmmmmmmm baby i love ya kyle . wish i was in the car with him ..lol #18 kicks ass

L

I hate Kyle Busch, period. Who doesn't hate Kyle Busch?

mustanggirl

What???No jail?? That is where all the rest of would be..Horseface is a jerk!!!

RICK

This is to Heather, he might be able to out drive and outrun the police cars but he can't outrun the radio or the spike strips that will disable his tires.

PRO US

@Cardinal:

At 128 mph, according to

Kyle Busch's stopping distance would be over 300 feet if he started to brake within 1 second of seeing an obstacle in front of him. If anyone was less than 300 feet in front of him and stationary in relation to him, that person would become his new hood ornament.

I agree with you that the problem was location. Kyle's brain was up his ass and he should have tested his new sports car on a closed race track, not on a public road at almost 3 times the posted speed limit.

He should have been suspended from driving on the spot and his sports car should have been impounded because of his reckless driving.

I couldn't care less if he wants to drive cars worth millions of dollars as long as he drives responsibly and prudently.

Not everyone who is upset by his stupid stunt is a Communist or just jealous, you know.

He earned the car. He earned the ticket too.

SGibbs

He could have killed someone....and the last time I checked going over 100mph will get you thrown straight into jail.... He is no better than anyone else and he should have been arrested.

knitgirl

This wasn't in Troutman, this was on Perth rd in Mooresville. There are some part of this road that are 35 mph. It is very populated and a cuvy road right on Lake Norman. Its B$ that he didn't get arrested.

sandy

Yes, he should have been arrested. This is beyond ridiculous. What do you expect in NC? Redneckery all around.

To be charged with reckless driving in the State of North Carolina, you do not have to be driving erratically. There are two different ways to meet the criteria of reckless driving:

1. Driving “carelessly and heedlessly in willful or wanton disregard” of the rights and safety of others, or

2. Driving without due caution and at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property.

Ref: Reckless Driving, NCGS 20-140

How fast is “in a manner to endanger”?
According to North Carolina Courts, if you are caught driving at least 15 miles per hour over the speed limit where the speed limit is less than 55 miles per hour you can be charged with reckless driving.

However, as the speed limit increases, the threshold decreases. This means that if the speed limit is under 70 miles per hour and you are caught doing over 75 miles per hours, you can be charged with reckless driving.

If you go 75 in a 65 mph zone, you may get pulled over and charged with reckless driving.

Can I go to Jail for Reckless Driving?
The short answer is yes. Reckless driving is a Class 2 misdemeanor. Under North Carolina laws, reckless driving is punishable by up to 60 days in jail.

Jail time isn’t the only punishment you may face with your reckless driving charge. A conviction can bring 4 points on your driver’s license as well as driver’s license suspension up to 12 months. You may also face fines of up to $1,000.

jhenn

Does anyone know what time of day this happened ??? Everyone is worried he may have hit kids or someone but they have no idea when it happened ?!?!?

I'm not crazy about him as a driver but I refuse to jump on the "freak out" band wagon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sam

You have no fans you idiot. Grow a chin.