Cheryl Cole's Accent

Too Thick for 'X-Factor'

5/25/2011 4:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Cheryl Cole was dropped from the judging panel on "X-Factor" largely because producers were  concerned her English accent would be too difficult for an American audience to understand ... sources close to the production tell TMZ. .

0525-cheryl-cole-getty-ex
There were other issues too -- we're told Cheryl and fellow judge Paula Abdul had a "lack of chemistry" ... and Cheryl was more expendable.

Producers now want Cheryl to return to the UK version of the show -- but according to sources, Cheryl's royally pissed over how this situation was handled ... and may sever ties with "X-Factor" entirely.

Steve Jones will now be the only host on the show -- which debuts in September -- since Nicole Scherzinger will be filling Cheryl's seat on the judging panel.

Calls to Simon Cowell still haven't been returned.

MoonDust

I don't believe her accent was the issue, I've seen videos of her talking and I understand what she says, granted there are some slang I don't understand but no big deal.

kww

Actually I have heard her accent and it is not difficult to understand. I can understand her. But I have lived in the UK (England and Scotland so never mind...) anyway, not sure what they are going on about she sounds fine to me.

Jmac

Poor old yanks,they just can't understand the Pommie Sheila when she talking the queens english....well woe is me.

george fudge!

The only things that are Too Thick on X-Factor would be Paula Abdul's behind and Simon Cowell's head.

A bad decision, they can now rename the show Z List-Factor, and Lohan will show up to audition.

JRM

I question whether I will now watch the American X-Factor. I watch clips of the UK edition specifically because of Cheryl Cole. I love her look, her style, her intelligence, and more. She was my impetus to await the American version. I guess I will just have to stick with the UK version. I am saddened by this news!

I am Spartacus

so they get rid of her and keep drunk Paula who will just sit there and tell everyone theyre beautiful... yea thats a great choice.

Cheryl Cole

whos Cheryl Cole?

MoonDust

TMZ Put up a poll, I don't think her accent is too thick!!!!

JJ

something aint right. THEY have known all along Cheryl had a thick accent...but now...all of a sudden, they decide nobody can understand her? THAT IS BS.

jolee

i think paula got insecure when she saw ms coles good looks

EHM

I understand her fine...weak excuse they are using. I feel bad for her to be treated like this publicly. The *****cat doll singer is totally fake. The guy judge I have never heard of and Paula is sorry to say...a has been.
I agree with the other person who stated this will be the Zzzzz-Factor.
Did anyone else notice since Simon got engaged he has had bad luck?

Sliver

lol I checked out a YouTube interview of hers, and when she gets excited i can't understand what she was saying. Happy i don't have to hit the CC button to watch that show.

Southern

I wish people would stop comparing southern accents to English: Geordie accents. Two different parts of the world. Hopefully she will find something bigger and better.

FLO

Bottom line is that she is too thick to speak in a manner required so people can understand her.
She had time to study with a voice coach,take elocution lessons and do what was needed to succeed, she underestimated her audience.

dizzydiana

Mu first time in Cancun (i'm English) talking to my daughter,this guy popped up oh keep talking,keep talking,i love your accent.i'm from Yorkshire that's a diff accent from Newcastle lol the next village to me says some words different,like i'd say tea they say teah.I love accents of the world,they are to be embraced,it's wrong to judge a person on their accents.Get Chezza back.