Dr. Drew -- Conaway Did NOT Die From an Overdose

5/27/2011 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Despite widespread reports, "Grease" star Jeff Conaway did NOT die from a drug overdose -- but rather his body gave out after long-term prescription drug abuse ... this according to Dr. Drew.

0527_dr_drew_jeff_conaway_tmz_ex

Drew -- who treated Conaway on "Celebrity Rehab" -- tells us there is no evidence showing Jeff died from an overdose ... saying, "This was aspiration with overwhelming pneumonia and sepsis."

Drew tells us Jeff's condition was inevitable because the actor had been a serious pill popper for years and the constant substance abuse wore down his body.

Drew explains, "Jeff is another pharmaceutical death from the overutilization of prescription drugs. Please continue to pray for friends and family. They appreciate your support.”

rad

Most deaths from drug and alcohol intoxication are the result of aspiration. To say his death was not due to a drug overdose is nonsense. It's called cause and effect! Seems "Dr. Drew" should go back to medical school?

Vicki in Monterey

bless you, Jeff. NOW you can feel God's sun on your face. Rest in Peace.

soulflower

Ok, must say this.....this guy from what I can gather, was just not happy in his skin. As "sad" as this is I'm hoping dudes in a better place, RIP.

soulflower

Dr. Drew.....not clear about you.....

tlcmk

He died from getting his medical advice from a TV show.

Steve

Dr. drew is a media whore who has made a fortune off the misery of addicted once famous people. Who has he helped that is still sober?? He needs to go away, he's made enough money hiding behind his "rehabilition" practices. He's no better than a convicted murderer except for the fact that he is still getting away with his Bulls@*t.

devon

i have no sympathy for drug addicts. they are weak f'n cowards. choosing to do drugs instead of facing life head-on is a cop out. grow some balls and DEAL w/life! drug addicts should overdose--you're a waste of human life and not doing anything to benefit society. you choose to abuse the body that you were given. go visit ppl who are handicapped, homeless or live in a 3rd world country. then MAYBE you'll appreciate the life you have and stop the f'n pity party.

devon

AND i'm sick of ppl blaming dr. drew. these f'ups have CHOICES to make. they choose to go on this show. the treatment WORKS for ppl who want the help. the problem lies w/these "celebrities" who go back into their "yes man" lives. they never hear the word no from ppl around them. the bottom line--they have to WANT the sobriety bad enough and do the WORK for it to stick. and grow some BALLS so it does! dr. drew offers them after-care programs and any help these ppl need. how many of them CARE enough to follow through and DO THE WORK?

fran

RIP Jeff....no more pain now ..condolences to his family

marjiscott

I don't know why Dr. Drew is splitting hairs on this topic. Jeff Conaway's long term out of control drug use caused his death. Period. No one abuses major heavy drugs for years without consequences. Septicemia doesn't come out of nowhere. It was long term uncontrolled drugs that always kills long term users. It's offensive that the Dr. uses this opportunity to gather more publicity for himself.

Ryan

rehab is a PERSONAL & PRIVATE healing process! (celeb or not) these celebs are paid to be on this show right? if i am wrong, then my apologies, but i remember reading that they are paid to be there. name me one celeb that has actually stayed clean since being on this "reality" show. so far 2 have passed away to my knowledge, mike starr and now jeff conaway. how many more celebs are going to die before dr. drew realizes that he is doing more harm than he is doing good?

Ryan

p.s. tmz, that is a horrible picture of jeff conaway, the man (god rest his soul) has just passed away can't you put a more flattering picture up there?

PhightinPhil

He wanted to die.

wendeee

I think at this point the only thing that can be done is send our prayers out to Jeff's family,friends and fans. Stop the negitivity and the blame on Dr. Drew and his Crew. He was only trying to share awareness of what the disease can do to someone and that someone happend to be a celebrity. Look at all the NON celebrity's that this happens to. Thank the lord I never followed in my father's footsteps. I made that choice not and I also had hip surgurys that went wrong that paralized my leg and caused RSD. Talk about pain .....look RSD up and that will tell you but I choose not to drink,or to over abuse simply because I dont want to be an addict. I think clearly about my choices thats all and not everyone can do that unfortunatly. MAY GOD be with you Jeff and to those who tried to help him through his struggling days

joey _ I love TMZ 'til ya piss me off!

Everybody wants to point the finger on individuals, but it truly comes down to Jeff's demons. I have had 2 friends that were treated at the hospital grounds, where Dr. Drew's office is (at least the only one I know). A family member of mine was seeing Dr. Hayes, who passed away from an Embolism or Aneurysm roughly, 12 years ago. The treatment facility was amazing as was the care. A lot of people look up to celebrities, which we know is not always a great idea. By showing some of those people, other worshippers realize that not only can it happen to the person next door, it can also happen to someone who is somewhat well known so they realize "celebrity" doesn't fix your problems. I have seen Dr. Drew's patients at the Pasadena grounds and his assistance has helped many people so you can blame him if you want, but it would be a waste of time.