Dr. Drew -- Conaway Did NOT Die From an Overdose

5/27/2011 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Despite widespread reports, "Grease" star Jeff Conaway did NOT die from a drug overdose -- but rather his body gave out after long-term prescription drug abuse ... this according to Dr. Drew.

0527_dr_drew_jeff_conaway_tmz_ex

Drew -- who treated Conaway on "Celebrity Rehab" -- tells us there is no evidence showing Jeff died from an overdose ... saying, "This was aspiration with overwhelming pneumonia and sepsis."

Drew tells us Jeff's condition was inevitable because the actor had been a serious pill popper for years and the constant substance abuse wore down his body.

Drew explains, "Jeff is another pharmaceutical death from the overutilization of prescription drugs. Please continue to pray for friends and family. They appreciate your support.”

amoschristina

so sad. just a shame he was never able to get clean and sober and heal...for his friends and family's sake. I hope he is free of all pain now and in a much better place.

Sonja

I hate this take on things.. Cory Haim, Brittany Murphy...now Jeff Conway.. no they did not OD but make no mistake.. DRUGS killed them all. Cronic abuse of pills and booze for years then.. oopsy oh no it's pneumonia that killed them. Please, it' doesn't have to be an OD for drugs or booze to kill you.

Majestik

R.I.P. Jeff.

Marty G

Jeff was a very fine actor. He had a truly magnetic personality and added much to any production he took part in. Although he is most famous for Grease or Taxi, I think his very best work was on Babylon 5 with his excellent portrayal of Security Officer and then Security Chief Zack Allen.
He really brought a LOT to that show and I have enjoyed his performances for years and I am sure for many years to come. GOD BLESS YOU JEFF !

maggie mae

Dr. Drew is a fame whore! His show sucks and his rehab is a joke and just another way to seek out celebrity fame. He is a nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

MAry

Dr. Dro is a sicko obsessed with Lohan, why doesn't anyone ask him why half of his patients have relapsed or died?

Cooper

Does Dr. Drew have the "right" to talk about Jeff's condition and his death? Shouldn't Jeff's rights be protected under the HIPPA laws? I realize that Jeff's family may have designated Dr. Drew as their spokesperson, but I don't think that gives him the right or the family the right to speak about Jeff's cause of death, if the family even knows at this point.

Fifty Shades of WTF

"aspiration with overwhelming pneumonia and sepsis": I lost my brother at age 49 from the exact same thing in 2008. I also had to sign to have life support stopped after the doctors said there was not a shread of hope and he was brain dead. It is heart wrenching. My brother had never touched drugs or alcohol his entire life. This type of thing happens to people of all lifestyles. My sympathy to Jeff's family and friends. It is hard to say good-bye no matter what the cir***stances.

AQ

Um, it would seem to me that if his drug problem broke down his system to make him prone to illnesses then yes, drugs did ultimately kill him. Sorry, again no sympathy for the drug abusers of the world. They chose to do it, it is NOT a disease - that is simply the excuse given to make people feel better about themselves and not make them responsible for their own choices.

heidi

To Overit-if you google image Marty Rackham, you'll see him. But man-good pull! They do look really really similar!

Sarafina

Loved him in Taxi and Grease...such a good actor. I feel sorry that he was not able to beat his addiction. R.I.P. and condolences to his family.

mjl

He should have been in private rehab. celebrity rehab is to close to hollywood where jeff may have acquired his addictions in the first place. and this are for the other celebritys too. i don't think it does much good and may very well be dangerous to their current conditions.

Think of some of the shame and embarrassment that goes along with being on celebrity rehab. but money is money.

But hey it gets the worse of them back in front of a camera now doesn't it? i think that's part of too.

LoudMouth

AQ. You are a moronic idiot.

MsMaribel

Oh yeah the whole Patty playin the race card on the affair is bullsh** !!!!!

HB

Sorry, Drew. It was an OD. He passed out, vomited, then breathed it in. The OD caused him to lose his basic protective respiratory reflexes, leading to a nasty aspiration pneumonia. He probably had an anoxic brain injury as well. I've seen many die the same way. His OD caused his death. Stick to psych. You have no idea what you're talking about.