Dr. Drew -- Conaway Did NOT Die From an Overdose

5/27/2011 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Despite widespread reports, "Grease" star Jeff Conaway did NOT die from a drug overdose -- but rather his body gave out after long-term prescription drug abuse ... this according to Dr. Drew.

0527_dr_drew_jeff_conaway_tmz_ex

Drew -- who treated Conaway on "Celebrity Rehab" -- tells us there is no evidence showing Jeff died from an overdose ... saying, "This was aspiration with overwhelming pneumonia and sepsis."

Drew tells us Jeff's condition was inevitable because the actor had been a serious pill popper for years and the constant substance abuse wore down his body.

Drew explains, "Jeff is another pharmaceutical death from the overutilization of prescription drugs. Please continue to pray for friends and family. They appreciate your support.”

Sue

It was sad and painful to watch Jeff on Celebrity Rehab. I am thankful that his truggles have ended. May God have mercy on his soul.

Melanie

RIP, as a recovering addict I know that no one chooses this path to go down. He was a good man with a demon on his shoulder egging him on. trust me. I know

Rob Base

Thanks for clearing that up Dr. Dud. Lets just say that he died from the longest overdose ever. I feel bad for anybody who dies but I will save my sympathy for people that give to society instead of taking!

suz

Anyone who attempts to garner publicity from the death of another is despicable. RIP Mr. Conaway.

415 Style

Am sad. RIP. We loved him.

Ghoster

And who the hell is "Dr." Drew?
Did he even know, Conaway?
This is just another prime example of whoring for attention from someone who wasn't even familiar with the case and yet wanted to be in the spotlight. I question Dr. Drew's motives and his ethics....or lack thereof.

Emily

TMZ you HAVE to take that photo of Dr. Drew and post it next to a photo of Chip Coffey! They look like they could be brothers!

Dee

When will restrictions get harder for physicians to create "legal" drug addicts...even celebrity ones? It is an abosolute tragedy in our society that this goes on.

Sandra

How sad that people and the industry made money off this poor guy and didn't help him.

NickSunset

Drew is an *******!! forty years of abusing drugs contributed to his early DEATH. For those that drugs did not contribute to his death go back to smoking crack.

en Todo Momento!!

@ dr drew:

porkey, why don't you just SHUT THE EFFF! UP???

(porque tu no te quies???!)

Alyson

Has it occurred to any of you Dr. Drew-bashers that journalists covering the story come to HIM for a comment? Both his knowledge of addiction and his personal experience treating Mr. Conaway make him an obvious choice. What could possibly be wrong with pointing out that sudden overdose is not the only way drug abuse kills? That just because you're OK THIS time doesn't mean you always will be? People battling addiction need all the reminders they can get, believe me. R.I.P.,Jeff

truth and mercy

My prayer for ALL substance abusers is NEW hope and awareness about the nature of addiction. I DO NOT think addiction is a moral judgement any more than autism, diabetes,epilepsy,etc... I would LOVE to see an enlightened America TREAT addictions with: subliminal/subconscious positive affirmations, talk therapy, anger issue treatment, oppression and suppression release, and spirituality. Thank you Dr. Drew for your continued assistance and please keep fighting the GOOD fight! RIP Jeff God Bless +

Melanie

I cant believe how harsh some of you are. You said we take from society instead of give. Have any of you ever been addicted to drugs, alcohol etc.? In a million years i never thought i would be addicted to alcohol. I never blamed anyone but it is this constant demon that keeps calling out to you. It sucks. I do everything i can to be sober for the past year.

MyOpinionOnly

I truly hope that Jeff is in peace as he fought a very public battle with his demons for years. Dr. Drew isn't evil and he's not doing these for the publicity. I think that he gets tired of all the misinformation about drug abuse and especially with prescription drugs. He has been an advocate for years over the over prescribing of hard pills and look at how many deaths have come from it in recent years? I truly believe that Dr. Drew only wants to help, but there will always be some who disagree with him. RIP Jeff. Kinicky was always MY fave on Grease. ;)