Paula Abdul -- I Was Traveling When Cheryl Got Let Go

5/28/2011 1:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Time zones and air travel combined to leave Paula Abdul out of the loop -- because when she arrived in Singapore to promote "The X Factor" ... she had no idea what was going on with Cheryl Cole.

0528_paula_abdul_video
Paula seemed to have just heard the news when she took the stage earlier this week to face reporters. When asked about Cheryl leaving the show, Paula responded, "This apparently has captured the news while I was traveling so I'm just finding out things as you are ... You probably know more than I do."

As TMZ first reported, Cole was replaced as a judge on the show by Nicole Scherzinger ... because producers feared Cole's British accent would be unintelligible to American viewers.

reily

Yeah right !! just more lies... This was not going to that great to watch before now it's a non brainer ...Dont bother. More crap from that dumb ass Cowell ..
Cheryl's was at least good took look at !!

Cheryl is torn between Simon and Paula, who are still very together, on who stays and goes, since Idol days.

coco

Like most Americans I have never heard of her. Don't care.

FLO

She mumbles in a thick accent, is too hard to understand, would need a translator for the contestants and subtitles for the viewers. I read that she refused the elocution/dialect coach she was offered so it serves her right.

Jim in Cali

Lame. Nobody wants to look at Paula and she wasn't a good judge on Idol. Bring back cherly.

Mary Bailey

Not surprised Paula wasn't aware of Cheryl's firing. Is Paula aware of much of anything anymore?

Of course X Factor will be fine without Cheryl and with boring, zero-personality having Nichole, I just won't be watching.

OliviaLeeds

My goodness, really? Cheryl's British accent? I'm not British and I can understand her perfectly like any other British accent. American's are that dumb or what? Cheryl's from Newcastle and so what? I knew that Americans aren't so clever but they sure should be able to cope with a British accent... It's a shame. Cheryl's a real singer unlike that Nicole.

Jesus Krishna

@lisa

PCD is OVER! Get a clue. Nicole is the black-mailer; trust me. I know her.

brittney hash

with her accent, I could barely understand a word she was saying. they did the right thing

-------

Poster under the name of Cheryl Cole - what you on about anyone can release a single in the usa, it isnt any big achievement it only becomes an achievement if it does well. Which is very unlikely, and Cheryl is popular in the uk but has her haters too. I dont understand why haters have to try and convince other people she is unanimously hated.

Barb

Yeah, sure, Paula. I hope the damn show tanks.

anon

So what if Cheryl has a regional English accent.

It's not as strong as it was when she first started out almost ten years ago and she refused elocution lessons to lose her accent because she's proud of her roots.

She was apparently nervous which didn't help but it would have gotten softer and softer. Besides everybody seems convinced that there is a such a thing as a British accent in the first place.

Would anybody say that a Scottish person or a Welsh person has a British accent?

Get ready for Steve Jones the host by the way.

me

cheryl who?
love paula! she a sweetheart.

Sue

Cheryl who? and Nicole who cares? are both waste. Simon and Paula the stars of the show and LA will be a bad ass. The other person is just eye candy and filler same with the host Steve. I wish Simon would give the job to someone more famous than Cheryl or Nicole like Mariah,Shania, or even Jessica Simpson.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2