BET Won't Kill Rihanna 'Murder' Video

6/2/2011 1:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

BET is sticking to their guns after airing Rihanna's new "Man Down" music video -- which contains a brutal murder scene -- telling TMZ, they will continue to air it ... despite one really angry group of parents.

0602_rihanna_bet_ptc_EX

A rep for BET tells us the network refuses to pull the video -- explaining, BET "has a comprehensive set of standards and guidelines that are applied to all of our content.  The Rihanna 'Man Down' video complied with these guidelines and was approved for air."

As we previously reported, the Parents Television Council called on BET to pull the video yesterday -- claiming it depicted a "cold, calculated execution of murder" ... and wasn't suitable for television.

0602_rihanna_video_launch2But the people have decided -- the rep for BET tells us, the video has already made today's top 10 countdown.

Snooki

To me this is more about female empowerment than murder. So yeah I'm ok with it. Especially when murder is a very common topic in tv shows, movies, and oh yeah, the nightly news!

Snooki

Mikey

Mike w 3 minutes ago

Mikey the term "Rockstar" has a double entendre meaning these days. Rihanna is a worldwide superstar, hence being a rock star

----------------------------------------------------------------
BS - she's a Popstar not a Rockstar....

Jean

2 years ago she told Diane Sawyer:
"I just didn’t realize how much of an an impact I had on these young girls' lives until that happened.", speaking about being beaten by Chris Brown and why she left him and pressed charges. I guess she's only a role model when she feels like it.

Alex

BET needs to understand the term "Artist"!!! What is all the fuss...Let her express herself...Who is she hurting......

jae

Parents are mad at the murder scene but what about the cause of the murder.. Clearly it portrays and attack or RAPE in the alley during a party after she leaves. Which happens to women too often. So rape is okay but shooting him isn't ?

Mikey

Where's Chris Brown when you need him.

Brandee Holmes

I don't know Rhianna's music, but I do follow her thru TMZ, People, etc. In my opinion, her video is no different than Aerosmith's "Janie's Got a Gun" from the early 1990's in which a teenage girl kills her father who had been raping her. A woman killing her abuser is not new, and seeing the photo on TMZ from the 'body' laying on the ground looks no different than what we see in movies or shows such as CSI, Law and Order, etc.

Barock Obama

BET is doing a service by teaching them to thin the herd.
_________________________________________________________

Couldnt have said it better

Ben

Watched it, didn't care much for the video or the song. Worst killing on TV then this video. I would not play it because she is a hypocrite. Here a man beats her and she shoots him. In real life a man beats her and she runs back to him. Give me a Break.

Man Down

Mikey, is obviously not educated, anyway before I give an idiot too much attention Man down does not push any limits, Everyone won't be happy with everything, plain and simple, the song is great and the video depicts the realities of rape. Rihanna is doing a great job.

nicaw

How is that video different than any of the shows on television. You can similar murder scenes on Criminal Minds, Law & Order SVU (or Criminal Intent), CSI (all of them), etc. Not to mention the stuff that plays on MTV, VHI, and the local news.

I'm not a parent but my mom was diligent about making sure she raised me and not the content on television. She took the time to screen what I watched on television and at the movies. If I had a question about the content, she explained it.

Parents, if you stop letting television raise your children or stop being afraid to tell them what's what, they will be adults you can be proud of.

Jay

Ben

One other thing. That ARTIST sh*t is getting old.

Over half of the people making songs have no idea what the life is.

If you ARTISTIC expressions offend people. Tough they have the right to no like it, not by it and not support it.

Just ask the Dixie Chicks.

tigress

I side with BET on this issue. An artist should have the freedom to express themselves through their work. We see much worse than that on television. Anyone who finds it offensive doesn't have to buy it or watch it.