Rihanna -- I'm a Rockstar, NOT A PARENT!!!

6/2/2011 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Rihanna is lashing back at the people criticizing her violent new music video for "Man Down" -- scoffing at the notion she's a role model ... saying, "What's up with everybody wantin me to be a parent?"

0602_rihanna_BN_Getty_01

RiRi went to her Twitter page today after the Parents Television Council condemned the "Man Down" video for depicting a premeditated murder and implying killing someone is an acceptable form of revenge.

Rihanna tweeted, "I'm a 23 year old rockstar with NO KIDS! What's up with everybody wantin me to be a parent? I'm just a girl, I can only be your/our voice!"

She continued, "We have the freedom to make art, LET US! Its your job to make sure they dont turn out like US."

"U can't hide your kids from society, or they'll never learn how to adapt! This is the REAL WORLD."

dc

She is no ROCK STAR. Get a life you fool...

jack-55d79

I suppose my counter to that argument is I don't know many adults who are mad keen on Rihanna, and she seems to be heavily marketed at an impressionable age group.

But, actually, I agree with her. I don't think artists should hold themselves back because of what may happen when ill or stupid people view their work. I don't see that they're solely responsible for a personality that could be negatively influenced by their work, there's too many factors, and art is only a small part of the jigsaw. I don't think people should sugarcoat though. Her present stuff isn't something I'm keen on listening to.

I don't think she's a rockstar though. I think she turns out above average, fairly mediocre, pop music, which is then mercilessly marketed at kids. Rihanna is talented, and deserves her success, but her music is so slick and generically produced it's like audio fast food.

Cheryl

Am so bored with her.

texasknight1

i find it totally amazing how these young stars want to throw away their responsibility of being a star.. talk about selfish.. this is a reaction remark coming from her to say.. hey i do not want anyone to look up to be and consider me to be their role-model, but i do want them to buy her albums.

this is talk from a youngster.. a dumb youngster at that.. you pay a price for fame you little snobbish twit.. and like it or not.. you're in the spotlight/media/awards shows/etc you will be considered a role-model.. if you do not like it.. then simply quit singing!..

i am now totally fed up with her delusional state of mind. chicks see you on a vid they try their damn best to look like you, talk like you, FCK other guys looking like chris brown because of YOU!..

get out of the freakin spotlight if you dont want them to "follow" you..

pathetic

mannequin

NOT a star.

Jim in Cali

A rockstar? Okay let's not take it too far. You are a pop star Rihanna, nothing more.

KELLY

" rock star " looks like she needs a another smackdown ...

Starla

The only reason that this has become such talk is because of the Chris Brown/Rihanna assault issue.

Had it not happend, this would NOT be news.

I agree with Rihanna in that she shouldn't have to justify her "Art". But she should remember that she DID claim to be a role model "to young girls" who listen to her music when she decided not to stay in a relationship with Chris Brown.

I really like Rihanna, but I think she should do a little less responding to BS an a little more doing her and enjoying her career without justifying a damn thing. Either you like her or you don't. Period.

AAAAaaah, the pressures of Hollywood.

AnnieSH

Hmm I wonder how many of you would be saying the same thing if this was a MALE singer?

Effing hypocrites.

John

Rockstar? Pfft. Keith Richards is a rock star. Rhianna is a no-range, one trick pony. And honey, nobody wants you to be a parant for God's sake! Anyone with a gun tattooed on their leg is hardly up for the job.

Amanda

I seriously hate this bitch more and more every single day. Rock Star???? What a ****ing JOKE.

cezanne

It would have been better if she just didn't respond. Sorry - first you are not a "Rock Star" and second you do have some accountability.

John

Please, go on Amanda.

Princess

You're damned Rihanna you may think you're powerful and all being rich and famous but you also have to be the Illuminati princess to get all this which only exists in our mortal world when your body dies your immortal soul will suffer forever in hell for your satanic ways and worship that please Lucifer as will others who do the same as you.

Kate

Dear RiRi,

You make your living in the public eye and that comes with responsibility. Suck it up and remember that it's kids' parents who PAY for the music they buy. Just how successful do you think you'd be if those parents decided not to spend their hard-earned money supporting your 'art'?