Jack Kevorkian Dies

6/3/2011 4:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dr. Jack Kevorkian, who became known as Dr. Death for his work performing assisted suicides for terminally ill patients, died early Friday morning. He was 83.

0603_jack_kevorkian_getty
According to his lawyer, Kevorkian passed away at Beaumont Hospital in Michigan, where he had been hospitalized for the past two weeks because of kidney and heart problems.

Kevorkian was believed to have assisted in 130 suicides and was convicted of second-degree murder in 1999. He was sentenced to 10-25 years in prison, but was released in 2007.

Al Pacino portrayed Kevorkian in an HBO movie last year, "You Don't Know Jack." Pacino won an Emmy and a Golden Globe for the role.

Wicked

Mind Cramp - Reading posts from people who honestly believe when people die they go to a fantasyland and are judged by their imaginary man in the sky.

Jack was one of the few who dared to stand up to religion, politicians and doctors who claim ownership over us all. He should have a holiday named after him.

blondie

I really wonder if he signed a DNR, or he grasped for the last breath that he so enjoyed
extinguishing in so many people?

Karen

Rest in peace, Dr. Jack Kevorkian.

Athina

Jack was a hero. I hope there will be more like him to stand up for human dignity and an end to suffering. After seeing a relative moaning and screaming in pain with bone cancer and begging to die, you wonder why? Just why?

cindy

MightyMad and Midnight Toker: People are calling Jack "A Hero". I disagree. and I disagree with Both of your comments! And that's MY RIGHT!

JenM

It is so sad that people see what he did as murder. Wait until you see one of your family members in pain 24 hours a day. Nothing helps,no amount of pain meds will take it away. You say its in God's hands..that only he can make the final call and say when its time for someone to go....you all think you are above what he did....but you will never NEVER know what it is like in that dying persons mind...when the pain is so horrible that you are unable to breathe without wanting to cry..where you PRAY for death daily...when you are in that postion I would love for you to come back on here...and say what he did was wrong. RIP Jack...you helped people..who apparently god couldnt.

Christina

@ Lindsay, I completely agree. Probably most of the people who are claiming that you shouldn't play God have yet to experience any sort of painful death.

Doctors play God on a daily basis. We give antibiotics, which can save lives - we're playing God. Doctors who have patients in a coma and continue to keep them on life support are playing God. Heck, in the future we'll probably live forever...but most likely in a vegetable state. What then of God? Where would he be?

Kevorkian did amazing things when he tried to fight for a suffering person's choice to pass away peacefully. It's a lot better than suffering and slowly withering away on a cold hospital bed.

Charles Winter

Crazy to hear the news about Dr. Jack. One of the most notorious figures of our time.
I always enjoyed listening to his interviews though. Check out my favorite of his interviews from the Forum Film Festival: http://www.forumonlawcultureandsociety.org/blog/2011/05/25/happy-birthday-dr-death/

IBS

May Jack Kevorkian walk amongst the beauty of above. I always felt he had empathy for other's: more for the people in severe pain than those of his own.

I often wonder why people wouldn't let their pets suffer, and we euthanize them to be able to move on, yet humans must live in a body, coma, cancer, dementia, which destroys who they were.

R.I.P. Dr. Kevorkian, for becoming a pioneer for respecting a person's decision in a very humane way of leaving this earth in dignity.

marciagg

Once again, I watched my very private dignified father be taken care of by my mother and numerous home health care people. My proud father would NOT have wanted to live the last 8 years of his life like he did, bedridden, diapered, unable to speak or communicate his needs or wants. The last thing my Dad would have wanted was to have his loving wife/my mom of 47 years watch him waste away and take care of him. He would have never wanted to be a burden on my mother or the family....but he was powerless.... Many people thought we were strange that we celebrated my Dad's passing....as it was finally a moment he was no longer suffering...

I only wish there were more people like Dr Kevorkian in this world.....

Sunset Strip Dealer

Cindy, save your religious bull**** for somewhere else.

Joe

Jack had the right idea, but let his own ego overshadow the cause for which he fought. He could have brought change, but his blatant disrespect for the law cost him his freedom and unfortunately, didn't result in a change in legislature.

Eventually, he will probably be viewed as a visionary, but for now he'll be remembered as Dr Death.

jessemosslover

cindy 7 hours ago what is wrong with you people! He still took people's lives,regardless! Only God has a right to do that!
--------------------------------------------------------------
Not only do we share the same name but we share the same belief. The guy killed people and now others are telling him to rest in peace. I say RIH (Rot in Hell)

blondie

Dr. Death will be viewed as a visionary when the choice to die is no longer a choice, it's
a requirement for the elderly and sick.
Hero, not in my opinion.

CINEMA

Rot in hell... and rot you will, along with the tormented souls in which you murdered.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments