Jack Kevorkian Dies

6/3/2011 4:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dr. Jack Kevorkian, who became known as Dr. Death for his work performing assisted suicides for terminally ill patients, died early Friday morning. He was 83.

0603_jack_kevorkian_getty
According to his lawyer, Kevorkian passed away at Beaumont Hospital in Michigan, where he had been hospitalized for the past two weeks because of kidney and heart problems.

Kevorkian was believed to have assisted in 130 suicides and was convicted of second-degree murder in 1999. He was sentenced to 10-25 years in prison, but was released in 2007.

Al Pacino portrayed Kevorkian in an HBO movie last year, "You Don't Know Jack." Pacino won an Emmy and a Golden Globe for the role.

Kartrashian Klown

Wow, I totally agree with Cindy on this one...

Andrew

Rest in peace to a beloved genius and crusader of truth

Victoria

@Lindsay - I couldn't agree more.

Rest in peace, Jack.

Kabala

He must have just whitened his teeth - they're beautiful...

Liz

After my husband died i was watching the trial of jack Kevorian.i was hoping that the verdict would be not guilty.you spend all that money,and your family member is going to die anyway.so what is the difference if you are drugged to death or peacely put to sleep.i published a book and jack kevorian is part of my story.i wished he could have read it.i also stated in the book if anything ever happens to me,i hope there is another Dr.Kevorkian.because in the hospital you are only a number, not a person.you need to see a person suffer and then die Dr.Kevorian cares for the his people didnt want suffering or pain .when their is no quality of life left.all you pay is a huge bill and the person dies anyway.Great Doctor

Dan

@cindy: The "idiot" in question here would be the one who believes in fairy tales and doesn't know 1st grade grammar (it's "who's", not "whose"). Go back to school and leave the real conversations for the adults.

ron k

hey jack
rest in peace ,, u did the right thing
gave the people their choice
thanks for the helping had that god
gave u the wisdom to help him and us
ron k

VectorWega

Anyone that has ever seen a loved one suffer through a terminal illness knows that this man is a hero. The people that speak against him just reinforce the horror that religion brings to this world.

Roxanne Stones

R.I.P. Jack.

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

Let me guess... He died from gingivitis?

jlk

This man was a hero to many people,myself & family included.I saw my parents linger through painful deaths & I at 62 wish that I had a Dr. or lived in a state that allowed Dr. assisted deaths.
If become terminally ill,or suffer from severe dementia,I pray that my death comes swiftly & painlessly.I also don't want my family to live through it with me.We are humane to our animals,& I hold them when their time comes.It is fast & quick.
We have the death penalty for murderers,but won't help end a human's suffering.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4