Jesse James Pays Up After Bloody Dog Attack

6/8/2011 4:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A pitbull belonging to Jesse James escaped from the reality star's Texas bike shop this weekend and
attacked another dog being walked in the area -- nearly killing the innocent animal ... TMZ has learned.

0607_jesse_james_dog_ex

TMZ spoke with a rep from Animal Control in Austin, TX -- who confirms cops were dispatched to the scene after Jesse's dog -- not Cinnabun -- went after a corgi named Buckley and chomped down on his neck.

We're told the person walking Buckley freaked out -- and began punching the pit bull in the face because it wouldn't let go of the corgi.

Eventually, cops arrived to the scene and freed Buckley -- who was rushed to a nearby vet for emergency care. Buckley had to be sedated and stitched up -- and doctors inserted a drainage tube into his neck to prevent infection.

After the incident, Buckley's owner got in touch with Jesse's assistant -- who eventually forked over $250 to cover the vet bill. We're told Jesse has also promised to cover any additional medical expenses.

kbn310

250.00 for the Vet bill? Seriously??? Same thing happened to mine and our vet charged me a few bucks shy of 1000.00....worth it to save my dog - but wow - what a difference. Guess we're paying hollywood prices here in virginia.

SUN

No one loves dogs more than me... I too, use to believe the myth that its the owners, and not the dogs, but after seeing the difference between my three dogs who were raised the same; I am 100% convinced that certain breeds have certain traits... People who like me, have a more aggresive type dog; need to be more responsible pet owners... I would never, ever, let my shepherd get that close to a strange dog, because I already know that she would bite the other dog... I also know she may potentially bite a stranger who apporaches; where as my other two woul****** a person to death. Sadly, you have idiots who exploit these dogs who already have a protective nature, and owners who do not train/watch these types of dogs... Certain breeds HAVE to be watched around small children, strangers, other dogs period, and pit bulls are one of those breeds.

Michell

Tammy LM...I agree the dog should be put down. Once they have a taste for blood, they are no longer a pet. I have friends who have awesome pit bulls, but I don't trust them fully.

Michell

Talked with the assistant...really??? Be a MAN Jesse! Your dog, take care of it yourself. People who think their people should take care of everything get under my skin. Jesse should have contacted these people himself offering a sincere apology and paying all cost. Grow up rich boy!

Suki

I'm a dog lover and have owner all breeds my entire life... but I hate pitbulls. I've NEVER come across a pitbull that wasn't aggressive. My lab, who was leashed, was attacked by 2 pitbulls who were loose. It was horrible, they came from opposite sides and attacked her. Almost as if they were trained to attack. I don't want to hear any BS about how it's about the owner, not the dog. I'm thankful for the 6 grown men who came to our aid and got those pitbulls off my lab. They saved her life and a potential attack on me. If I see those little f*ckers again, I'll kill them myself.

TracySan21

I have two rescue pits and work for a pit bull rescue. It's not " always pit bulls", but they are the ones that will get media coverage because of the popular ignorance toward the type of dog. Jesse is a bad owner, if you have a pit that is dog aggressive, you have to be responsible that the dog doesnt get out or escape. If he did the right thing, by exercising, training, and properly containing his dog, this wouldn't be a story! Thanks Jesse for giving ALL the dog prejudice morons something to talk about! Pits are already battling a public image, because of owners like yourself! Just think before you post here, are you perpetuating a myth about a type of dog you really have no knowledge of? Are you casting judgment on the dog, or owner? My dogs (pits) are loving to people, babies, other dogs, cats.... They are c.g.c ( cainine good citizen ) certified by the akc, and one is in training to be a a.d.a dog ( Americans with disabilities act ). I wish everyone could meet the pits that are owned by the "right" people, your mind would be changed. They are not " bad dogs"!

sylvie

For Tammy re: pit bulls
Actually, in the city and province that I live in pit bulls are by law to be muzzled when out and now it's illegal to purchase one here and own one. It's unfortunate but there's too many issues regarding pit bulls.

dory canalizo

Really, Jesse. This is not the first time one of your dogs has gotten out. You are not a responsible dog owner at all. Stop worrying about getting laid and tattoos.

CEE

And whitetrash? WOW, bunch of ignorant people who love to sterotype. Hello, I am a 32 year old, middle class, woman. I own my own home, I drive a nice car AND I have the sweetest pitbull on earth. I would adopt another in a heartbeat.

Billy

Pit Bulls are just a horrible breed of dog. I'm sure there are decent ones but the bad ones overshadow the good and it seems like all you hear about them is they cause death, damage and destruction. I'm not sure if that breed should be stopped.

Meanie

Sorry Tracy, ignorance and non education about the breed has NOTHING to do with it. It has to do with a breed that attracts certain types of people - many most shouldn't be allowed to breed, let alone, own a dog. Jesse being a poster boy for just such a person.

THIN LIZZY

Sorry, can't buy the pittbull killer thing. Dobermans, Rotwielers, Shepards, Alaskan Huskies are just as deadly. It comes down to the owner, if the dog was abused and inbreeding.Pitbulls get a bad rap for whatever reason. Any dog that suffers from arthritis bone spurs or senility will turn on you and bite in a heartbeat. Dalmations are notorious for that.Been around dogs my whole life and the only breed I've never seen get agressive is the beagle.

Cleveland Gal

This guy needs his rights taken away as a pet owner, he obviously has no clue on how to care for them his dogs are always getting loose and this time it is an attack on another dog, one day it will be a child but, of course he is a celebrity and he will get away with it with a slap on the wrist. Why wasn't he charged this time? Why is he not paying any vet bills for the innocent dog? Jesse needs help.

Amy

The dog had to be sedated and stitched up -- and doctors inserted a drainage tube into his neck to prevent infection. All that for $250? That's quite a deal!

paigehop

I see a lawsuit coming, and I think it'd be great, and deserved! The pitbull could have just as easily mauled a person. Sock it to Jesse!