Gay Cop

Fights for Right

to March in Uniform

6/7/2011 10:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A gay correctional officer is outraged that his department thinks marching in uniform in the West Hollywood gay pride parade is a "discredit" to the department ... and he's taking legal action to fight for his rights.

0607_gloria_andrew_BN_TMZ_06

Andrew Johnson works as a correctional officer for the California Institution for Women in Chino, CA.  He's also a member of the Gay Peace Officers Association.  Johnson asked his superiors at the Department of Corrections for permission to march in uniform on Sunday, but was told he couldn't do it because of a law that prohibits officers from marching in uniform if it would bring "discredit" to the department.

Johnson's lawyer, Gloria Allred, said at a news conference that other departments -- including the LAPD, L.A. County Sheriff's Department and the CHP -- allow officers to march in uniform in the parade.

Allred says the Department of Corrections allows officers to march in uniform in other parades, including the Christmas parade and the Carrot Festival.

Allred says she's filed a complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, alleging discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Allred wouldn't let Johnson speak, because of fear of retaliation.

She wants the warden to reverse his position so Johnson can march.

rotti

When on duty wear your uniform. This is why departments don't allow officers to wear their uniforms on private jobs. If he wants to march....march but the uniform should only be worn on duty period.

Albert D'Orazio

Neko:

Stop putting your decision to be a hetero on everyone else. Just because you say that you choose to be hetero doesn't mean everyone else choses their sexual orientation. You're being a martyr for your agenda.

This is America, so stop forcing your anti-gay agenda on everyone. I am not forcing anyone to believe in any fantasy they wish to believe but merely demanding you don't let your delusions affect my rights and equality.

tgrfan42069

Albert D'Orazio 7 minutes ago

tgrfan42069:

Stop being a smartazz, there is a difference between a gay pride parade and a KKK parade or Nazi parade. Or are you stupid and ignorant to comprehend this fact?
------------
not really if he is proud to be a cop he should be able to wear it anywhere..cant have it both ways..point is either way it discredits the department..that is a UNIFORM not a costume

Big Daddy

This gentleman is just trying to rock the boat. He knew what his departments answer to that question was going to be, before he asked. March in your parade, just don't wear a uniform from any company. This isn't unusual. When I was in the military, we weren't allowed to wear our uniforms for any function, that was was not the business of of the military. This included taking political sides. I see no problem with there demands, once again he appears to want to rock the boat. May ruin his career doing so...

Albert D'Orazio

You people don't get it. It should be his right, if he chooses to wear his uniform at any parade as long as he does not misrepresent not abuse his title and he recognizes he his not on duty.

Albert D'Orazio

Neko:

Oh please I have no desire to be like you. Yuck. The only arrogant and ignorant fool is you and the rest of you homophobic bigots. You bigots are the Hitler-like fascists, trying to regulate peoples clothing. God, get a life, losers. And in case you haven't noticed your own bigotry and discrimination makes us gay folks the victims. Not you primitive bigots.

And yes, I have one sister, and three brothers thank you :)

Leo

Cops and firefighters can wear their uniforms in parades. Rose Parade has Marines and other uniformed personnel marching. Some are on duty, some just participating. There's no legal justification for prohibiting this guy from doing the same.

What if he marched in a Nazi or KKK parade? That would probably be another civil liberties case if he were prohibited. Freedom of expression means just that -- no matter what is the message being expressed.

Khate sucks

I AM IN LAW ENFORCEMENT AND WE ARE "NOT" ALLOWED TO WEAR OUR UNIFORMS IN PUBLIC IF WE ARE NOT ON DUTY! HE KNOWS THIS AS A COP!!!

Albert D'Orazio

neko:

Stop twisting my analogy. Is that what you like to do for your agenda? Lie, and manipulate? I was clearly stating that I am gay all the way and will never embrace and pretend to become the heterosexual "lifestyle" you bigots like to call it. I never condemned nor said heterosexuality is immoral nor wrong like you homophobic bigots use to try and demonize God's gay people. You bigots are the fascists with an anti-gay agenda.

Albert D'Orazio

Neko

The only anti anything I am is anti-bigotry. Clearly you have a more sinister agenda. Keep twisting my words and moral beliefs around for your anti-gay agenda. God you're pathetic.

Albert D'Orazio

Neko

If you would have read my post correctly I said, "TO ME HETEROSEXUALITY IS DISGUSTING AND APPALLING". Gee, I wonder why. BECAUSE I AM GAY YOU IGNORAMUS!!

Again, stop using your choice to be a hetero as justification that you believe we all choose what gender we are attracted to. Extreme agenda you have, extreme.

And the that's because there was no understanding and meaning of sexual orientation in the Bible as there is today. The prohibitions against same-sex sex (not to be confused with same-sex love and same-sex attraction) was written by mortal man who thought it was unclean and displeasing to God.

Albert D'Orazio

Neko

Keep calling me stupid, but I think you're just saying that to make you're ignorance a little less of a blow on your part. If people can wear their uniforms at other parades like the Rose's parade and countless others, then leave this man alone. Stop targeting him because he is gay and wants to wear his work uniform at a gay pride parade. Are you hating on him because of the fact he is gay of because he is going to a gay pride parade? i think it's both. He is not hurting any one by wearing his uniform at a parade so leave the poor guy alone.

Albert D'Orazio

neko:

Again, putting words in my mouth for your agenda. I never said being a hetero was wrong. I said the prospect of me and heterosexuality is revolting because I am not attracted to the opposite sex. Sexuality is a God-given gift and we all are beautiful human beings, white, brown, black, red, green, blue, purple, short, tall, skinny, fat, young, old, disabled, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian and transgender. Sexuality is natural but you can't say you like sushi if you don't like it. That's all I was getting it: To me being straight is not normal for me because I was not born to be hard-wired that way I, was born gay.

Albert D'Orazio

Neko:

Im not talking about hurting of feelings you fool. I was talking physically. Is he physically hurting any one by wearing his uniform at a parade? No he is not. So therefore he should, if he so desires, wear what ever he wants to at the parade, even the uniform. If you don't care about gay people then why are against this? As long as if he recognizes on the record that he is not on duty and he physically hurts no one by wearing the uniform, he should have all the right to wear it at the parade.

Joao

There's Gloria Allred representing women everywhere, just look at her poor client... she looks down right indignant.. I can see her stomping out in outrage when she was told she couldn't march. I mean her client, silly.