Anti-Pitbull Activist -- Jesse James' Dog Should Die

6/10/2011 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

One of Texas' most outspoken anti-pitbull advocates is lashing out at Jesse James' dog -- after it nearly killed another pooch last weekend -- telling TMZ, Jesse's pit "should be put down without exception."

0609_man_jesse_james_ex_tmz_2

As we previously reported, one of Jesse's pitbulls escaped his bike shop in Texas and attacked another dog (below) ... which then had to be rushed to a nearby vet for emergency care.

0609_james_dog_wm

Douglas Wolfe -- one of the leading advocates for banning pitbulls across the state of Texas -- tells us, "This attack shows that even seemingly responsible owners with the means to manage and care for their animals cannot control this unpredictable and inherently dangerous type of dog."

Wolfe adds, "Any animal that attacks and kills or injures another animal or a person should be put down without exception and tested for rabies regardless of who or what the owner is."

"No animal's life is worth the life of any person."

Pitbull ownership is a VERY heated issue in Texas right now, where Douglas and other activists have proposed a bill to ban pits throughout the state.

LeeLoo

I am not against banning the entire breed. Pit bulls are actually quite gentle when trained and cared for properly. However I think that ANY dog that attacks another person or animal should be euthanized and I think the owners should have any other animals taken out of their care and be prevented from owning animals again.

GreyWolf

I love animals, but after seeing that drainage put in that little dogs neck from the attack, and the article stating that this was the 2nd attack that Jesse's pit has done, I would vote to have him put down. I mean how long did it take to get the pit off of that little dog? I worked in animal shelter and we had a pit bull that attacked other dogs because of his owner. He was the sweetest dog with people, but he just hated all dogs. He got lose and attacked another dog that was in it's cage. The pit got a hold of the dogs muzzle and tore it in half. We tried to get the pit off by hosing it, and trying to pull him off of the other dog. Finally a vet tech came and gave him a shot. Eventually, the pit had to be put down, because he was just too dangerous to have around and risk it it getting into another fight with another dog. I blame the owners, but sometimes the pit has that history of attacking and you may get lucky and have a perfect pit who will never attack any animal or person. Sorry, if I was rambling. :)

joey _ I love TMZ 'til ya piss me off!

I was a Vet Tech and handled many different breeds, as well as some scary-ass exotic animals. I have been bitten a few times and have no doubt of the capabilities that some breeds possess over others. Yes, there are exceptions to every species, but my anger is mostly directed at the owners. There is an arrogant & pervasive attitude among people, who truly believe they have complete control over whatever animal they deal with and it will never turn on them.
Remember that idiot - Timothy Treadwell, who spent his life with Grizzly Bears? After all that time, he became overly-confident and he & his girlfriend were killed &, well, you know. Granted, that is an OBVIOUS situation, but certain breeds of Dogs have difficulty at times, controlling their reactions, more than others. I have seen my share of loving pit bulls, even having a sweet one next door, but I never take ANY breed of dog forgranted. When I saw a Golden Retriever flip out on it's owner after 6 years, for no obvious reason, I truly realized that caution & common sense should be exercised with ANY animal living in your home.

namers

I am a very well-respected Canine Behaviorist for 14 years in the dog capital of the world. I personally have been bit 3x: one big-old St. Bernard (4 years of being the dominant dog in the household w/his own chair you DON'T dare to sit on); one a nasty Chow (them and Shapei's, ugh) and some other little spoiled runt. NEVER a pit bull.

Having said that, we owned a Pit/Lab that was 4 1/2 when we were paid $100 to TAKE him because they knew he'd be killed. NOT good with other dogs.

WE DIDN'T RAISE HIM.

If you are top dog over your pet, he/she should resist their 'animal insticts' while being subservient to you. If you have total control (training from 8 weeks old), he will heel, sit, stay, come, lay down, etc. and learn appropriate behavior (tamed) and can co-exist quite easily.

The biggest biting dog during that time was the ****er Spaniel. Rotties too got a raw deal during that time.

Dog's don't just 'turn on you'. BS! They exhibit these behaviors very early and people reinforce them (sshhhhhhh, pet pet, shhhhhh which they perceive as 'good dog, keep barking'.

That ******** has already demonstrated what a POS he is on so many levels, that his dog's behavior is an extention of his own.

www.TheCrazyCanine.com

Zanne

What should happen is dogs like Jesse's need to be court ordered into rehab! Look at the dogs taken from Michael Vick's sick operation. Many are successfully rehabilitated, so a house pet that hasn't been abused but also hasn't been well trained is an excellent candidate for teaching NOT to attack other living things. It can be done! Ask any licensed behavior analyst.

TheMachine1

Only dogs that have attacked my dogs while I was walking them was pitbulls(at least 3 times I can remember). I'd still rather see their human owners put down.

namers

Oops, that's WAS, I'm retired; too many ignornant dog owners!

Nicole B

I believe that Jesse should be ordered to take more obedience classes with his dog. So many times people get a pitbull and never take the time to properly train and socialize them so that they grow up to be good dogs. I myself have a pitbull, and from day one I was exposing her to new situations and enrolled her in THREE separate behavior and obedience courses. I will admit that pitbulls can be dangerous, but it all depends on how they are not only raised, but how they are treated. Those who want to get a pitbull need to do more research and have at least a little experience handling these powerful dogs. A dog that is left home all day and does not get the proper attention, education, or socialization will always have a larger chance of having behavior problems later on, no matter what the breed. Then you can also look at the fact that there are so many breeders out there who breed pitbulls and other dogs just for profit. If enough consideration into genes is not taken, then you will, no matter how they are brought up, have a dog with behavioral problems.

Sally

The dog should die. But also authorities should make sure his dogs (Pit Bulls) are not around his children or any other children. There are enough facts to prove that the Pit Bulls or Pit Bull mix are dangerous.

GEL

While I disagree that there is a problem with this "breed" of dog, I have to say that if it has done this before (apparently it has) then, yes, something has to be done about the dog (it wouldn't matter what breed it is though). Jessie shouldn't be given special treatment about it either.

autumn

It's his fault not the dogs.. he should train them better.. and for the jackass that hates bull dogs.. GO TO HELL... can i put u down cause i dont like you?????

MIDNIGHT TOKER

I do not know alot about dogs but it seems to me its the owners fault not the dog.Its how they are raised and treated and cared for determines the nature of the dog.I have been chased many times when I was a kid by dogs that were not pit bulls but they(pit bulls) seem to get most of the blame.We had a beagle that bit about every kid on the block when I was a kid.She was never mistreated but she was very protective of our family and if you came into our yard you better watch out.This should be handled on a case by case basis when a dog attacks a human or another dog and in some cases the dog should be put down

Bridgette

the life of a dog and life of a person are interchangeable depending on the dog or person. how ever a violent dog just like a violent person needs to be dealt with in an appropriate manor. once a dog gets a taste for blood there is little you can do to fix it. Jessee's dog should be put down so that another family doesn't loose a vital member for there family like there pet or even a child.

Allison

I think because this dog has attack , yes I think it should be put down. It could attack a child or anything next. BUT I don't agree there should be a ban on them. Not all dogs are the same. My Mum and Aunt were attack by German Shepard's, does that mean every Shepard should die ? I've read about Roti's mauling people does that mean they should all be banned ? No !
Only dogs that have the attack instinct should be put down !!

PaulWS

That "activist" should die.