Anti-Pitbull Activist -- Jesse James' Dog Should Die

6/10/2011 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

One of Texas' most outspoken anti-pitbull advocates is lashing out at Jesse James' dog -- after it nearly killed another pooch last weekend -- telling TMZ, Jesse's pit "should be put down without exception."

0609_man_jesse_james_ex_tmz_2

As we previously reported, one of Jesse's pitbulls escaped his bike shop in Texas and attacked another dog (below) ... which then had to be rushed to a nearby vet for emergency care.

0609_james_dog_wm

Douglas Wolfe -- one of the leading advocates for banning pitbulls across the state of Texas -- tells us, "This attack shows that even seemingly responsible owners with the means to manage and care for their animals cannot control this unpredictable and inherently dangerous type of dog."

Wolfe adds, "Any animal that attacks and kills or injures another animal or a person should be put down without exception and tested for rabies regardless of who or what the owner is."

"No animal's life is worth the life of any person."

Pitbull ownership is a VERY heated issue in Texas right now, where Douglas and other activists have proposed a bill to ban pits throughout the state.

anony

Anyone who owns a pit bull is a moron. These dogs have been biologically bred to MAIM.

sarah n

so sad :(

I have a dachshund that I don't trust around other dogs, or kids. I had to learn the hard way, you need to socialize the hell out of your dogs, start young. Or you will get a monster, no matter what size. my other dachshunds that were socialized are the greatest.

Firefly

If we have a murderer amongst us that is habitual and will not change we give that person the death penalty. This is a dog that has attacked before and therefore should be put down. In other words this dog should get the death penalty because he is a habitual attacker.

Shread

Why kill the Dog? It's ALWAYS the Owners fault. They raise them, train them etc. IMHO, they should beat the owners and muzzle them NOT THE FRIGGING DOG. These wannabe Thugs that walk around with Pitt Bulls acting all Gangsta should be thrown off a Bridge. Horrible people that deserve to be caged and starved.

Boo

My father was a vet so I have rescued horses, dogs, cats and birds all my life. Currently one of the dogs I rescued is a pitbull and she's wonderful. Wolfe and people like him are nut jobs. If they really cared about pitbull attacks why not do something about the fact they are being overbred for dog fighting and advocate five year sentences for people who get caught fighting vs trying to attempt to bully normal dog owners. The amount of pitbulls in shelters would drop significantly. JJ's dog should not be killed for getting into a fight with another dog, that's idiotic. However JJ should be fined for having his dog off leash even if it got out accidentally.

annonumus

You know whats funny......theres a chuiuaua (sp) down here in austin who has to wear a dangerous animal tag thats bigger than its head......for nipping a kid whos taunting it. then theres this guys pitbull who almost rips off a dogs head and they are like aww its ok..........i think thats bs

Jenny

I love how after one of the many, many (key word being many...as in, it happens often) pitbull attack stories, it's always "the owner is irresponsible." Face it, those dogs are a danger to others. Any dog can get pissed off and lash out, but could a beagle or a ****er Spaniel rips someone's face off? Are they too strong and powerful for a grown man to stop an attack? No. I don't understand how anyone would want the liability of owning one of those things.

Violette-Blue

Sorry, but I feel we should be putting down a lot of humans who kill also then. We let child murders, molesters and abusers go free. Animal abusers & murders go free or get a tap on the wrist. Humans that rape, torture, kill and even mutilate other people get go free. If it's okay to kill an innocent animal, then it should be okay to kill a human-being. Why is it that the human race feels they are the superior to all. We are not!

Rudy

All breeds have inherent characteristics that have been bred into them for specific purposes. These breed characteristics will also vary in intensity from litter to litter and dog to dog. Pitbulls are a large, powerful breed that can have strong prey drives and agression issues, but it varies from dog to dog.

It seems that we don't know what to do with this breed and everyone involved suffers as a result. Too many dogs, cats and people are attacked and too many pitbulls live in misery at the hands of bad owners or in shelters waiting to die. I'm not a fan of breed bans, but we've failed this breed and those affected by this breed. Possibly grandfathering in a breed ban with mandatory spaying/neutering may be the kindest thing we can do.

Britney

Torico

Only the owner should be put down.

Just Me

I can only come to the conclusin, that the pitbull haters on this page and in general, have obvisouly NOT done their research. A quick example I can give you is St. Stubby, the war hero who saved his platoon, what if this pit hadn't been there? I read a story once, sadly, a six week old baby was left unattended with the family pet while the gaurdian went to warm up a it's milk, the gaurdian came back, and the baby had been killed by the pet, the breed, A POMERANIAN!! How many of you pitbull haters heard that story? Not many I'm guessing, the media is so obsessed with hating the pit, that stories like this one fall through the cracks. I sympathize with the dog who had to get stitches, but as a dog lover, I have had to break up fights between my own, it happens, and not just to the pitt. There are many reasons that may make two dogs fight. The pitt is one of the most misunderstood breeds out there. Instead of killing this breed, why don't you go after the idiots who find pleasure in fighting the pitt, and breeds like them, for money. Their the real criminals, not the dog.

yooperbubba

I have been attacked more by German Shepherds than Pits. Pits are like any other dog. They have to be under your control and you are responsible. People get bit by dogs everyday, yet the only ones you hear of are the Pits. Granted if a dog is a mean dog then yes, maybe it should be put down. I have heard of many dog bites in my travels, I can only recall one Pit bite. Those little Yip Yip lap dogs are more likely to bite than a pit.

Just Me

I also agree with Britney, I had the same thought. How bad could it have been for a $250 bill. Why is this other "advocate" even getting involved? I think it's another example of the media exploiting the breed, I'm sure it wasn't the only dog fight that happened, but it is the only one that got reported on the news.

Rudy

@Britney

"I highly doubt this dog was nearly killed. In another article it said that the vet bill was $250. I work in veterinary medicine and $250 is about what it would cost for a minor laceration repair (if not more). Obviously, the dog was injured, however, from my own experience, the bill would be much much higher if the dog was actually injured as severely as some are saying."

I think it depends on the injuries and that particular vet practice. I use several vets for my pets and their prices vary dramatically. Our local emergency vet clinic is actually cheaper than a few of our regular vets.

A gaping neck wound might be less expensive to repair if there isn't extensive internal injuries but it could still be very serious.