Morgan Apologizes

My Gay Jokes Were

NOT FUNNY

6/10/2011 9:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy Morgan just issued an apology  for the homophobic "jokes" he told during a performance in Nashville last Friday -- saying he "went too far" and his act was "not funny in any context."

Tracy Morgan

In the statement, which Morgan sent to several gay rights groups, the comic says, "I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville."

He adds, "I'm not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others."

"While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.

As TMZ previously reported, Morgan ignited a firestorm for the homophobic content in his act -- in which he said he would stab his son if he acted gay.

Back in Morgan's "Saturday Night Live" days, the actor starred in a sketch called" Homocil" -- in which he takes pills to "deal" with the fact that his son is gay.

tmz-top-comments
DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

"He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass"

RichInGB RichInGB

Remember when Richard Pryor would drop N bombs on stage, or Eddie Murphy, or whoever in the 70's and 80's? The whole crowd laughed. I bet if Morgan was openly gay, nobody would give a crap. People have become overly PC, IMO. He's a comedian, it's an act.

Marie Marie

Unless Tracy Morgan participates in the gay parade next month then I will accept his apology. Saying he is sorry is not enough.

tmz-top-comments
Paul Paul

"For those who don't get it....being gay isn't "what you are"...it's "who you are"...and what he did was he meant to destroy the core of a persons spirit....so stop saying gays are being too sensitive...it's way deeper than that....if we're "too sensitive" well your just way too shallow for anyone I'd want to know....and I as a gay man never sit around thinking about what other people do in bed..gay bashers do...to me they are the ones that need some serious help..."

Freshlycrown3d Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people act like this is something new its not.

justmyopinion justmyopinion

come ON..this guy isn't even funny, never was..he talks like a 7-year-old who spews out every curse word he knows just to see if he can get a reaction..that's comedy? NOPE. He's lucky he's friends w/Tina Fey--probably the reason he's still on tv.

dOoOshie dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH... Some people don't like gay people. Some people don't like black people, white people, Christians, Muslims, etc. If you don't like what he says don't listen. Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

Mike44090 Mike44090

Why is it that people are ready to accept Tracy Morgan's apology but when it was Michael Richards rant against black his career was over, Could it be that gay's are STILL considered second class citizens in this country?

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass.

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

RichInGB RichInGB

Marie Marie

nini wanini

Common America!!! Tracy was right!!!!!!

lala

Now we can't make jokes? What happened to freedom of speech? So sick of how people are bullied and balcklisted if they dont accept the forced cultural norms.

Its so sickning how silenced people are becoming! Apology not accepted! You shouldn't have apologized!

Rake of Truth

Sam Kinison http://youtu.be/gDL7fN8mS4A

Nuff said...

michael l.

Yes, Tracy Morgan has the right to rant about gay people onstage, call them *******, declare that he'd kill his son if he "talked gay," whine about Obama cow-towing to them and all that. Everyone else with a soapbox has that right to say offensive things all they'd like.

But at the same time, everyone else has the right to be offended and go "Dude, not cool" in response to it and uphold some kind of standard of tact. Nobody's taking away his right to be a bigot going for low-hanging fruit in his "comedy" routine, they're just showing him that if you go beyond the boundaries of good taste, you're going to look like a fool and be treated as such.

And since someone compared this particular homophobic rant to some rants by another comedian... Comparing Tracy Morgan to George Carlin is like comparing Ludwig van Beethoven to the guy who writes cat food jingles.

RyanW

here we go.. more people getting BUTT-Hurt (pun intended?) hes a comedian there suppose to be crazy and offensive come on now.. hes a comedian who gives a crap.. people just look for reasons to whine and rant.. and make a big scene or $$$.. its pathetic.. freedom of speach people! Can't take it? move somewhere to where they don't allow it.. whiners are ruining america!.. Some of this could be Tolerated and les*****ed on if it wasn't forced down peoples throats.. but in this instance! its a COMEDIAN! who gives a crap.. like others said.. don't like him dont listen to him.. shouldn't have to watch what we say 24/7 just because someones sitting with a radar ready to cry! if so take FREEDOM OF SPEACH out of the constitution!

JesusIsWhite

So it's cool as long as it's a joke? Fine...anyone know any coon jokes?

j pardee

Yes he said some horrible things, but he has officially apologized so lets accept it and MOVE ON! People are so worried about PC'ness today that you can't even fart in public without someone being offended and tweeting to the world about a horrible human being would do such a thing! We need to relax!

george clooney

So, please let me know a couple of things. First, when did Americans give up its 1st Amendment and the right to speech? Do no fill me with a bunch of rhetoric and bs...seems the gays and blacks own the 1st Amendment. 2nd...I have heard many times GAY comedians (an asian and white females) bash heterosexuals, and I surely do not see the HOMO Crowd demanding any apology from them, so what is what with this picture. I really do not care what a person says because we live in a time where NONE OF YOU HOMOSEXUALS care about anything but YOUR RIGHTS and you bash everyone else. This has really gone over board and you think you can just make everyone pay and suffer for their 1st Amendment right to free speech? Screw you! Also, that guy at TMZ staff who today acted like his son was stabbed to death because of Tracy's statement....give me a break...are you kidding me? When do heterosexuals get to have a parade? Tell me where a city will allow HETEROSEXUALS to have a parade and flip the bill for it? You hypocrites!

RyanW

I'm white should me and all the other white people make a scene and complain about every anti-white joke he told that night? how about his fellow african americans? should they Complain and cry for apology.. should everyone he told an offensive joke Complain and make a scene? if your offended you odvisouly know NOTHING about tracy morgan's comedy! YOU MESSED UP GOING.. next time check out the person your going to see.. don't blame the craft.. blame yourself.. fyi im not against gays or any races.. this is common sense.. just more people trying to ruin it for others because they can't handle guilt and feeling different.

DizzKid

Some people seriously need a sense of humor. It's not like he pull a Kramer and meant what he said. He a COMEDIAN!

I agree with RyanW. There no point in having Freedom Of Speech in the constitution, if you can't say what you want about people. It seems like it's ok to talk about your own, but anyone else? It's a issue. WTF?

Rake of Truth

"I'VE HAD IT UP TO HERE WITH THIS "PC" ****! Why can't we just laugh at ourselves? Why, when a comedian does a joke on anything even vaguely controversial, do certain people moan like somebody let one rip during an audience with the Pope? I mean, come on, who actually moans at a joke? Who is responsible for that? Well, quite frankly, I'm pinning it on the gays, okay.

Now, now, I know there's some reflexively irate homosexual in the crowd thinking, "How dare you, Miss Thing?" And what I'm saying to you is this: I think so little of the variations in human sexuality that I refuse to treat you like a Faberge egg. You are part of the human collective. Come, join in our reindeer games. You too can be poked fun at. And that goes for the whole spectrum of special interest groups out there wandering the freakazoid Serengeti plain."

-Dennis Miller

rickyc904922

honestly ppl are blowing this up more than it should. he is a comedian thats what he does. why is no one complaining bout all the other jokes he said bout blacks whites and what not?????????

kurious kitty

it has nothing to do with laughing at ourselves or being pc--saying your going to kill your kid if he is gay really isnt that funny IMO, especially when there are kids on the internet killing themselves over bullies comments..wake up ppl..IMO the best comedians are the ones that make fun of themselves or everyday occupancies, not others, for a laugh..richard pryor was always good at that and so is robin williams and bill cosby..

Jason

WHAT???? I always thought Tracy Morgan was a BIG OLE MO himself ;-)

djmike

where the hell is my comment?....it is by far the most important of all of them.