Morgan Apologizes

My Gay Jokes Were

NOT FUNNY

6/10/2011 9:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy Morgan just issued an apology  for the homophobic "jokes" he told during a performance in Nashville last Friday -- saying he "went too far" and his act was "not funny in any context."

Tracy Morgan

In the statement, which Morgan sent to several gay rights groups, the comic says, "I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville."

He adds, "I'm not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others."

"While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.

As TMZ previously reported, Morgan ignited a firestorm for the homophobic content in his act -- in which he said he would stab his son if he acted gay.

Back in Morgan's "Saturday Night Live" days, the actor starred in a sketch called" Homocil" -- in which he takes pills to "deal" with the fact that his son is gay.

tmz-top-comments
DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

"He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass"

RichInGB RichInGB

Remember when Richard Pryor would drop N bombs on stage, or Eddie Murphy, or whoever in the 70's and 80's? The whole crowd laughed. I bet if Morgan was openly gay, nobody would give a crap. People have become overly PC, IMO. He's a comedian, it's an act.

Marie Marie

Unless Tracy Morgan participates in the gay parade next month then I will accept his apology. Saying he is sorry is not enough.

tmz-top-comments
Paul Paul

"For those who don't get it....being gay isn't "what you are"...it's "who you are"...and what he did was he meant to destroy the core of a persons spirit....so stop saying gays are being too sensitive...it's way deeper than that....if we're "too sensitive" well your just way too shallow for anyone I'd want to know....and I as a gay man never sit around thinking about what other people do in bed..gay bashers do...to me they are the ones that need some serious help..."

Freshlycrown3d Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people act like this is something new its not.

justmyopinion justmyopinion

come ON..this guy isn't even funny, never was..he talks like a 7-year-old who spews out every curse word he knows just to see if he can get a reaction..that's comedy? NOPE. He's lucky he's friends w/Tina Fey--probably the reason he's still on tv.

dOoOshie dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH... Some people don't like gay people. Some people don't like black people, white people, Christians, Muslims, etc. If you don't like what he says don't listen. Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

Mike44090 Mike44090

Why is it that people are ready to accept Tracy Morgan's apology but when it was Michael Richards rant against black his career was over, Could it be that gay's are STILL considered second class citizens in this country?

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass.

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

RichInGB RichInGB

Marie Marie

NationalComedyRadio

Dear Gay Community,

Grow the f*ck up. Comedians are just like you and me, sometimes we make jokes at the expensive of others because it is funny. This is what comedy is....we should not have to worry about the thought police coming to destroy our lives because of an off color comment...believe me, you do not want to live in the world that you are creating. The worst thing for comedy is when the joke teller has to censor himself in fear of being blacklisted. Should I start to monitor all gay comedians to make sure that they don't tell any 'straight' jokes? No, because I am a f*cking adult that can take a joke. Gay, black, jewish, white, chinese whatever you are there is something funny about you....it is the comedians job to identify it and exploit it for the sake of comedy.

TheHOLETruth

big bad brother man.. talk'n poop, I'm not apologizing to nobody. dude is not even a little bit funny, trying to hold on the thread of celebrity that's left so he thought since he has denigrated his own race and they stupidly don't give a damn-and that's played out, maybe gays will be a easy target...

...what they gonna do?

Next question

justin

I am a working stand-up comedian. I have had a chance to open for Tracy on more than one occasion. Tracy is not a hateful person by nature. He is mentally unstable. I mean this with no disrespect. He has a problem. Its all fun and games when he goes on a show with his shirt off or dresses in drag or any of the bafoonary that he does that makes the collective black community shake its head. They allow him to speak at award shows when 30 rock wins so everyone can say" look at the silly negro."
The truth is Tracy does not act. He is the same foolish character in everything he does because he is just that,foolish!
To be upset when someone like Tracy Morgan says something stupid is like beating your dog for crapping on your carpet. You let him in the house.

chefadam

Take it like a man!

chefadam

Lay low Tracy the Gay mafia, nuff said.

Ethan

I still feel betrayed. That used to be one of my favourite shows :'(

rd1981

He's very funny most of the time because he has his own perspective. We only laugh at jokes because they're the truth. I don't get why people relate not liking gays to racism. They don't have anything related. Gay people should feel ashamed, and I think people who agree with them aren't doing them a favor. The wages of sin is death, not physical, but they're missing out on a better life. God made laws to protect us, we might not understand it right now but we will definitely find out one day. I don't like gays or lesbians, I think it's sick.

sunshine

Sincerity is found in the action. He said he was apologetic. Now let it go...I believe him.

sunshine

homosexuals are too sensitive about their awkward sexual indulgence. They know that their way of sexual pleasure is not natural, so they fuss, and complain, and make any and every excuse to divert attention away from their un-natural way of seeking and giving sexual pleasures.

sunshine

Yeah, I agree to that, gay does mean, 'funny' 'happy' and i guess, homosexuals are not really gay afterall; they're just homophobic homosexual cry babies thay need a coral of 'woe-is-me' angles to feel better about themselves. Oh well, better hollar atta heterosexual.

Black Becky

Raymond Charles 14 hours ago

Tracy Morgan will not be fired by NBC, and the mainstream media of CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, and the New York Times WILL NOT be critical of him in any way. Just as Kobe Bryant did not suffer any consequences for his comments, NOTHING is going to happen to Tracy Morgan because he is black. Blacks can say anything they want, about whomever they want with impunity because the mainstream media are cowards and are afraid of being called racist. All the aforementioned news entities are hypocritical cowards because they cannot just report what the truth is without first contemplating how there reporting of a story will be perceived. This story would be Page 1 for weeks if any white comic said it; but since Tracy Morgan is black, it's OK with the press. With the mainstream media, ideology and race will always precede the truth; IE: Political Correctness! Political correctness is a social cancer. It impedes truth in conversation and allows the underworld to engage in inflammatory rhetoric with impunity.

****************

that is not true, google Isiah Washington.

Black Becky

Being born gay is not a choice but choosing to live the gay lifestyle is one. A gay person could walk down the street and no one would no or care that they are gay.

Black Becky

i meant know.

joey b

I think this apology is bull**** because he should not apologize for anything he said. The only reason he apologized is to shut all you f*gs up because everyone knows that you will forgive him because he said sorry that's all. We all know the apology don't mean anything it just that he said the word "sorry". All you f*gs and l*sbos will just find something else to complain about in a couple days and this goes out to the people who aren't gay too and just think if you post a comment you are doing something right because you people are hippocrits because you would be the first people to disown your son or daughter if he or she was gay so to all shut up and don't listen to what he has to say or go to his show because there are plenty of other people who will go and see him make that joke and laugh. And if he said something like he would kill his for acting white, mexican, black, chinese, arab or any race we would not even have this problem. So stop your bitching all you f*gs

realityone

Get over it people... We all have to be able to laugh at ourselves. Its a comedy act. Guess what? He has the right to be disappointed with HIS son if that is how he feels and you paid to see him express his views as a comedian. How many Gay/Lesbians didn't come out the closet because they were ashamed or wondered how family/friends would respond. Now that being Gay/Lesbian is openly "accepted" or enough folks have come to the forefront do you now want to cry everytime someone says something negative about it. Comedy is just that Comedy. Don't like the material dont go to the show. Sam(R.I.P), Dice clay and many other "controversial" comedians have said way worse... We live in the butt hurt(no pun intended) age where everyone is so PC and sensitive. We have become our own sensorship police... NO government needed... If he were gay.. non would care... He if dropped the N word or cracked jokes about fried chicken it would be the funniest **** ever... Comedians bash ALL groups.... Laugh and dont take it to heart... Be proud of who you are!!!!! "insert rainbow here"