Morgan Apologizes

My Gay Jokes Were

NOT FUNNY

6/10/2011 9:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy Morgan just issued an apology  for the homophobic "jokes" he told during a performance in Nashville last Friday -- saying he "went too far" and his act was "not funny in any context."

Tracy Morgan

In the statement, which Morgan sent to several gay rights groups, the comic says, "I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville."

He adds, "I'm not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others."

"While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.

As TMZ previously reported, Morgan ignited a firestorm for the homophobic content in his act -- in which he said he would stab his son if he acted gay.

Back in Morgan's "Saturday Night Live" days, the actor starred in a sketch called" Homocil" -- in which he takes pills to "deal" with the fact that his son is gay.

tmz-top-comments
DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

"He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass"

RichInGB RichInGB

Remember when Richard Pryor would drop N bombs on stage, or Eddie Murphy, or whoever in the 70's and 80's? The whole crowd laughed. I bet if Morgan was openly gay, nobody would give a crap. People have become overly PC, IMO. He's a comedian, it's an act.

Marie Marie

Unless Tracy Morgan participates in the gay parade next month then I will accept his apology. Saying he is sorry is not enough.

tmz-top-comments
Paul Paul

"For those who don't get it....being gay isn't "what you are"...it's "who you are"...and what he did was he meant to destroy the core of a persons spirit....so stop saying gays are being too sensitive...it's way deeper than that....if we're "too sensitive" well your just way too shallow for anyone I'd want to know....and I as a gay man never sit around thinking about what other people do in bed..gay bashers do...to me they are the ones that need some serious help..."

Freshlycrown3d Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people act like this is something new its not.

justmyopinion justmyopinion

come ON..this guy isn't even funny, never was..he talks like a 7-year-old who spews out every curse word he knows just to see if he can get a reaction..that's comedy? NOPE. He's lucky he's friends w/Tina Fey--probably the reason he's still on tv.

dOoOshie dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH... Some people don't like gay people. Some people don't like black people, white people, Christians, Muslims, etc. If you don't like what he says don't listen. Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

Mike44090 Mike44090

Why is it that people are ready to accept Tracy Morgan's apology but when it was Michael Richards rant against black his career was over, Could it be that gay's are STILL considered second class citizens in this country?

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass.

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

RichInGB RichInGB

Marie Marie

Previous 15 Comments | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

Santa

To apolojize for something you done on purpose or meant to say is not an apolojy, All too often people say or do something they meant to do or say and use the words "I'm sorry" to smooth thing's over.

Roxanne

all of you need to grow up about this gay mess. he is a comedian! and for the record, it is a CHOICE to be gay. to say u are "born gay" is a total disrespect to God (if u believe in God) and if u don't believe in God then you're messing up nature and human evolution. how can u reproduce if ur a girl with another girl or a guy with another guy?? *sigh* ppl grow up.......

Big Mike

I am irritated that he apologized. If you want to say it, say it. Don't back down. That crap was funny. I could give a damn if someone got offended over a comedians joke. Who are these speech police that decide who is allowed to be offended and who is not. This is America, say whatever you damn well please.

disinformatique

Hey Tracy, you can tell jokes about us straight guys/girls. We won't ask for an apology.

CougarHunter

Like most edgy Black Comedians, once they run out of offensive jokes about white people that they get away with because of whit guilt, they really have nothing left.

josh

Have a sense of humor jeez. Comedians have ripped on every race and problem that anyone could possibly have, all in an effort to lighten those tense situations. The second, sorry, the nano-second anyone starts making fun of the gay culture, everyone whines. Now if gay people would like to be associated with whining and not being able to take criticism, than that's their problem, lacking a sense of humour that many of us have developed as a security instinct to ward off prejudice. I'm tired of hearing gay people whine about every little thing people say about them. Like a bunch of tattling children that can't handle criticism at all. Get over it, you want equal rights? OK, no more Pride Parade, sexual harassment, or lewd conduct on a major street in a major city. Equality means holding back, not being flamboyant. Every controversial group has tried this to one degree or another, the difference is gay people have never been punished for it. If you want respect, play the game and stop acting like a dramatic teenager that was spoiled as a child. Oh and Tracy Morgan is hilarious, he made no specific point of JUST touching on gays, he has touched on a lot of things thank you. You Gay People.... You whine waaaaaayyyy too much and then expect respect. How ******* childish.

panda

your still a hatefull ass going around saying that your sorry is bull****. you still feel that way the only diff is that your gonna keep your mouth shut from now on

ITSTIME YOUKNOW

Morgan, please don't give a damn about those un-godly people who didn't find your joke to be funny. I watched your performance and almost fell down from laughing. Dude Gays are wrong, sinful, and a list of other words. It's about time gays understand that no matter what, being attracted to the same sex is not right. Can you Gays answer these questions please- Do you believe in GOD? Do you believe being gay is pleasing to GOD??

And to Tracey Morgan, joke nothing seems to be wrong with your joke, but just remember these people have feelings as well.sigh.(to me this is harder said than done)

closetfreak

Thanks so much for this valuable tip. Even I can do sex my self without partner in my home.

Big Doyle

Tracy should have never apologized. They choose to be queers they have to expect people to make fun of them. They are easy to make fun of, well,.....because they are queers. I have a lot of jokes that I tell and people laugh but I guess Hollywood isn't open minded enough. You would think that in 2011 they would except it.

Big Doyle

You ******* should lighten up. This is 2011 and you should except it now. You should have an open mind about jokes.

sandy

Great stuff, btw. Check out this video, it's related to your post! http://youtu.be/NBFlc-RP9M0

Cobra

Mabey he would stab his son not for being gay it's just for all the whining and attention gay people bring to themselves.

Previous 15 Comments | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19