Morgan Apologizes

My Gay Jokes Were

NOT FUNNY

6/10/2011 9:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy Morgan just issued an apology  for the homophobic "jokes" he told during a performance in Nashville last Friday -- saying he "went too far" and his act was "not funny in any context."

Tracy Morgan

In the statement, which Morgan sent to several gay rights groups, the comic says, "I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville."

He adds, "I'm not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others."

"While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.

As TMZ previously reported, Morgan ignited a firestorm for the homophobic content in his act -- in which he said he would stab his son if he acted gay.

Back in Morgan's "Saturday Night Live" days, the actor starred in a sketch called" Homocil" -- in which he takes pills to "deal" with the fact that his son is gay.

tmz-top-comments
DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

"He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass"

RichInGB RichInGB

Remember when Richard Pryor would drop N bombs on stage, or Eddie Murphy, or whoever in the 70's and 80's? The whole crowd laughed. I bet if Morgan was openly gay, nobody would give a crap. People have become overly PC, IMO. He's a comedian, it's an act.

Marie Marie

Unless Tracy Morgan participates in the gay parade next month then I will accept his apology. Saying he is sorry is not enough.

tmz-top-comments
Paul Paul

"For those who don't get it....being gay isn't "what you are"...it's "who you are"...and what he did was he meant to destroy the core of a persons spirit....so stop saying gays are being too sensitive...it's way deeper than that....if we're "too sensitive" well your just way too shallow for anyone I'd want to know....and I as a gay man never sit around thinking about what other people do in bed..gay bashers do...to me they are the ones that need some serious help..."

Freshlycrown3d Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people act like this is something new its not.

justmyopinion justmyopinion

come ON..this guy isn't even funny, never was..he talks like a 7-year-old who spews out every curse word he knows just to see if he can get a reaction..that's comedy? NOPE. He's lucky he's friends w/Tina Fey--probably the reason he's still on tv.

dOoOshie dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH... Some people don't like gay people. Some people don't like black people, white people, Christians, Muslims, etc. If you don't like what he says don't listen. Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

Mike44090 Mike44090

Why is it that people are ready to accept Tracy Morgan's apology but when it was Michael Richards rant against black his career was over, Could it be that gay's are STILL considered second class citizens in this country?

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass.

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

RichInGB RichInGB

Marie Marie

Wicked

Tracy Morgan will be forgiven, Kobe Bryant gets a free pass, yet Michael Richards and Mel Gibson had their careers destroyed. This double standard that people dutifully accept is disgusting.

gimmeshelter

Gsharon 710

Are you all crazy..Call child protective services? In Bernie Mac comedy show, he said he would hit a kid on the side of his head with a hammer for being bad. Now do you really think he would have done that?

COMEDY PEOPLE, COMEDY... YOU KNOW SORT OF LIKE THE WAY PEOPLE SEE HOMOSEXUAL ACTS.

I know one thing, you have managed to set all gays up for violence when you should have minded your own business. You will N E V E R be liked or tolerated by majority, however you did manage to have low complaints about your lifestyle until your ignorant demands became trashy news.

huppmoile

Get your checkbook out, you unfunny freakshow.

Ace

don't condone what was said, but he's a comedian.....they should be allowed to say whatever they want seeing as they are "jokes" after all -.- absolutely no difference between what he is doing and what rihanna did, all done in the name of artistic freedom.....neither should have been done maybe, but neither should be stopped either, it's just an opinion so stop boo-hoo'ing.....

Rogue Warrior

Gsharon 710 3 minutes ago

-------------------------------------------------------

You write a lot of good comments that I completely agree with!

Tanya

I agree with what LoudMouth said

Rogue Warrior

On the vote, where is the not needed option?

Utahn

Does it really matter if he is sorry or not? Or if Kobe Bryant, or Perez Hilton was... or anyone else that has apologized? The minute they say something, and a particular group gets pissed off about it, they demand a public apology. And the offender almost always does apologize. So I guess the question is: Do these special interest groups think they are accomplishing anything by DEMANDING an apology? What is more important to them? To get an insincere apology to satisfy their whiny agenda, or actually educating the public on their particular plight without coming off as whiny and demanding?

Mike44090

Mike

What kind of dumbasses are voting yes?

Paris K

If he admits that he wasn't funny, do the people who shelled out $$$$ to see a comedy show get their money back? Over rated and very lucky to have the career he has.

Bruin

Can you say spin doctor??

Doug

Why would anyone accept his apology? Why, for that matter, do these "So Called" stars and other public figures think it is ok to say something and then, after getting so much public flck for it, issue an apology? I never accept ANY of these apologies. As far as i am concerned, they have shown what they are truely made of and what they truely believe. They aren't actually sorry for what they said becuase they BELIEVE what they said. They are only sorry becuase people are outraged and it might dent their pocketbooks. I say screw them...don't believe them. Instead use your voice and/or dollars to never support them again.

psh

go apologize to your son. haha