Morgan Apologizes

My Gay Jokes Were

NOT FUNNY

6/10/2011 9:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy Morgan just issued an apology  for the homophobic "jokes" he told during a performance in Nashville last Friday -- saying he "went too far" and his act was "not funny in any context."

Tracy Morgan

In the statement, which Morgan sent to several gay rights groups, the comic says, "I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville."

He adds, "I'm not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others."

"While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.

As TMZ previously reported, Morgan ignited a firestorm for the homophobic content in his act -- in which he said he would stab his son if he acted gay.

Back in Morgan's "Saturday Night Live" days, the actor starred in a sketch called" Homocil" -- in which he takes pills to "deal" with the fact that his son is gay.

tmz-top-comments
DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

"He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass"

RichInGB RichInGB

Remember when Richard Pryor would drop N bombs on stage, or Eddie Murphy, or whoever in the 70's and 80's? The whole crowd laughed. I bet if Morgan was openly gay, nobody would give a crap. People have become overly PC, IMO. He's a comedian, it's an act.

Marie Marie

Unless Tracy Morgan participates in the gay parade next month then I will accept his apology. Saying he is sorry is not enough.

tmz-top-comments
Paul Paul

"For those who don't get it....being gay isn't "what you are"...it's "who you are"...and what he did was he meant to destroy the core of a persons spirit....so stop saying gays are being too sensitive...it's way deeper than that....if we're "too sensitive" well your just way too shallow for anyone I'd want to know....and I as a gay man never sit around thinking about what other people do in bed..gay bashers do...to me they are the ones that need some serious help..."

Freshlycrown3d Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people act like this is something new its not.

justmyopinion justmyopinion

come ON..this guy isn't even funny, never was..he talks like a 7-year-old who spews out every curse word he knows just to see if he can get a reaction..that's comedy? NOPE. He's lucky he's friends w/Tina Fey--probably the reason he's still on tv.

dOoOshie dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH... Some people don't like gay people. Some people don't like black people, white people, Christians, Muslims, etc. If you don't like what he says don't listen. Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

Mike44090 Mike44090

Why is it that people are ready to accept Tracy Morgan's apology but when it was Michael Richards rant against black his career was over, Could it be that gay's are STILL considered second class citizens in this country?

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass.

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

RichInGB RichInGB

Marie Marie

Dee

@JesusChristgivesyoutheanswer
I agree with JesusChristgivesyoutheanswer TOTALLY!!!

Piper

This is completely racist! Why is that Eminem can get away with making homophobic comments but Tracy Morgan and Isaiah Washington have to apologize for making the same comments. I don't see anyone putting pressure on Eminem to apologize for all those years when he was making anti-gay slurs. Why do black people have to prove themselves to gay and lesbian people? This is completely hypocritical. Shame on you, Tmz.

Street Smart

Tracy is a comedian
get over your sensitive selves

get a life losers

sandy

I'm glad Tracy apologized for hi*****eful comments. I accept because I believe folks can sometimes get on a roll and go too far. God knows we have enough hate and violence already in the gay and lesbian community and this kinda stuff just adds to it. I hope he drops this routine altogether, cuz it's not funny.

Buck Boy

**** his tired black azz! He can go to hell and rot. Had he been white and said it about blacks..........he would be out of a job and shunned for eternity. Stop letting these turds get away with this.

fstblk

Harvey is always making remarks about black people, and some of the remarks that are made on this site about blacks he does'nt delete.When Harvey was in thr closet he was afraid of being outed. Now that he's out he takes revenge on people.Life has a way of catching up with all of us Harvey.I'm not even a lawyer and i know that.

last laugh

The funny thing is I always thought tracy morgan was gay. He sure looks gay!

Mike

p*ssy. Shouldnt have apologised.

Kathy

It seems public people can say ANYTHING THEY WANT. If they are called on it, all they have to do is apologize and all is forgiven. I don't agree with that.

Also, comedians think they can say anything they want, as long as its a "joke." I don't agree with that.

GOLLY

Tracy:

I found your jokes to be very funny. I am going to demand that you apologize to me because you caved in to the biggest bully in hollywierd: glaad, and apologized. What a wuss. You must be gay to have so quickly become glaad's biatc#.

Good luck to all of those in hollywierd who keep giving up your fundemental freedom of speech. Your rolling over and taking it up the back side just goes to prove that you are all gay.

Kathy

This guy has a fantastic agent, because I don't think he has any talent--he is NOT funny and he can't act.

CB

He ranted in the South because he knew that it would be accepted with the Republican State and anti-gay sentiment. If he had pulled the same crap in California or any State that supports equality, he probably would have played to an empty house.

Apologies of this nature are becoming too common. As with Michael Richards, he apologized, yet the (supposed) Black heirarchy wouldn't accept it and felt it was shallow. The same here. I could care less about the race of the individual or profession, it's the hateful words that were used, not just against the gay community but his own flesh and blood. Robin Williams is funny, Tracy Morgan is NOT!

Ashley

Tracy you shouldn't have given in and apologized to these deviants.

Jah36

What a p*ssy. There was nothing to apologize for and he does not have a fear of h*mosexuals. Everything he said is true...he hit the nail on the head. These people are sick and need help. The depravity of society MUST STOP!! Wake up people.

iseebothsides

This is ridiculous. There is absolutely no need for Tracy to apologize. Does anybody else find it ironic that no one has complained about him using the "N" word in the same sentence? So is Gay the new Black?