Morgan Apologizes

My Gay Jokes Were

NOT FUNNY

6/10/2011 9:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy Morgan just issued an apology  for the homophobic "jokes" he told during a performance in Nashville last Friday -- saying he "went too far" and his act was "not funny in any context."

Tracy Morgan

In the statement, which Morgan sent to several gay rights groups, the comic says, "I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville."

He adds, "I'm not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others."

"While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.

As TMZ previously reported, Morgan ignited a firestorm for the homophobic content in his act -- in which he said he would stab his son if he acted gay.

Back in Morgan's "Saturday Night Live" days, the actor starred in a sketch called" Homocil" -- in which he takes pills to "deal" with the fact that his son is gay.

tmz-top-comments
DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

"He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass"

RichInGB RichInGB

Remember when Richard Pryor would drop N bombs on stage, or Eddie Murphy, or whoever in the 70's and 80's? The whole crowd laughed. I bet if Morgan was openly gay, nobody would give a crap. People have become overly PC, IMO. He's a comedian, it's an act.

Marie Marie

Unless Tracy Morgan participates in the gay parade next month then I will accept his apology. Saying he is sorry is not enough.

tmz-top-comments
Paul Paul

"For those who don't get it....being gay isn't "what you are"...it's "who you are"...and what he did was he meant to destroy the core of a persons spirit....so stop saying gays are being too sensitive...it's way deeper than that....if we're "too sensitive" well your just way too shallow for anyone I'd want to know....and I as a gay man never sit around thinking about what other people do in bed..gay bashers do...to me they are the ones that need some serious help..."

Freshlycrown3d Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people act like this is something new its not.

justmyopinion justmyopinion

come ON..this guy isn't even funny, never was..he talks like a 7-year-old who spews out every curse word he knows just to see if he can get a reaction..that's comedy? NOPE. He's lucky he's friends w/Tina Fey--probably the reason he's still on tv.

dOoOshie dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH... Some people don't like gay people. Some people don't like black people, white people, Christians, Muslims, etc. If you don't like what he says don't listen. Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

Mike44090 Mike44090

Why is it that people are ready to accept Tracy Morgan's apology but when it was Michael Richards rant against black his career was over, Could it be that gay's are STILL considered second class citizens in this country?

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass.

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

RichInGB RichInGB

Marie Marie

steven katona

this was a hate crime and an investigation should commence. there is no need for more words. he should be investigated. who's next the jews? how many other groups will he be allowed to attack? he threatens the very peace of the united states. he's a terrorist and should be charged. i'm calling tracy out! you want some sucka?

sw

Look, he's a comedian and got carried away with his act. Even if he doesn't like gay people that's his choice.I'm gay man and can move on from this. I still think he's a funny guy.

Robert Aaron

Freedom of speech can not apply when it incites violence. As for the apology, he is only sorry that his jokes received this much negative attention. I am 28, Gay and all for funny gay jokes, but suggesting its OK to kill your child because he is gay??? Enough gay teens have died these past few years over this crap. Grow up America!

Johnny Carcinoma

Tracy Morgan is hysterical and these comments were funny.

People don't get him, and that's OK too.

Only a complete dullard would imagine his comments were serious.

washout22

Anyone that is defined by an peverse sexual action deserves the criticism. If you choose to live in "brown town" then you will be laughed at. To be defined for the actions of sodomy and felatio is going to bring laughs anywhere. You need to find girlfriends and quit grossing out the normal people. We will never accept that type of behavior. We mayh tolerate it, but never accept it as normal behavior and even if we did accept it as normal it would never make you feel normal.

Chatter

I find it real interesting how everyone is so upset over the gay jokes, but no on in the media even bothers to mention the use of the word "******". If a white comedian said the same things, "Rev" Jackson and his stooge, Sharpton, would be marching in the streets. Yes, folks.....Racism is rampant...just not where you'd expect to look.

Now...the catch: I don't have a problem with what Morgan said. I don't agree with it, it was distasteful, and yes...hateful. But as a combat veteran, I've fought for everyone's right to free speech. I wouldn't go see this loser's show, but if others want to, then so be it. How soon until more "hateful" words get added to that "list" of things we're not allowed to say?!? How big will the "list" become?!? This is a slippery slope, folks. I find Argyle sweaters offensive...but I'm not going to protest every time I see one. Get a grip people. You're going to run in to a lot more things in life that you might disagree with.
Sometimes, it's ok to "agree to disagree"!

Meemee2000

People HAVE gotten over Michael Richard's rants so your point is moot. Sh*t happens. People get over it.

devlzadvocate

Certainly the redneck crowd cheering him on in a state that just passed ant-GLBT civil rights laws didn't coax him to keep going.

Freedom of speech does not include everything. You still can't yell FIRE in a crowded theater. You can't advocate killing people.

MoonDust

This site is just becoming like Perez hilton, reason why I don't visit his site anymore.

Grace

People would have thought it was funny if Tina Fey said it but make a big deal with this guy. Hypocrital. But having said that nasty jokes are never good for anyone. They are meant to put down. (I don't like gay jokes, priest jokes, political put downs on either side of the aisle, etc)

devlzadvocate

Chatter, OH PLEASE! Comparing an argyle sweater to the murder of a child. That is just plain stupid.

dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...
Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

John

I came out in the late '70's. There was no "Glee" no "It Gets Better" We had to navigate a much less accepting society. Politically Correct, or PC came in the '80's.

Tracy Morgan said some hateful things, but the reaction reads just a*****eful.. Gays should focus on their individual happiness, find partners, and stop trying to replicate straights Marriage may be a "right" but I feel "wedded bliss" would just make lawyers rich.

John

washout22

If they have to be like that...make sure you make tham wash their johnsons so you at least wont be recognized as a dirty c### s###er.....LOLOLOLOL