Morgan Apologizes

My Gay Jokes Were

NOT FUNNY

6/10/2011 9:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy Morgan just issued an apology  for the homophobic "jokes" he told during a performance in Nashville last Friday -- saying he "went too far" and his act was "not funny in any context."

Tracy Morgan

In the statement, which Morgan sent to several gay rights groups, the comic says, "I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville."

He adds, "I'm not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others."

"While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.

As TMZ previously reported, Morgan ignited a firestorm for the homophobic content in his act -- in which he said he would stab his son if he acted gay.

Back in Morgan's "Saturday Night Live" days, the actor starred in a sketch called" Homocil" -- in which he takes pills to "deal" with the fact that his son is gay.

tmz-top-comments
DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

"He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass"

RichInGB RichInGB

Remember when Richard Pryor would drop N bombs on stage, or Eddie Murphy, or whoever in the 70's and 80's? The whole crowd laughed. I bet if Morgan was openly gay, nobody would give a crap. People have become overly PC, IMO. He's a comedian, it's an act.

Marie Marie

Unless Tracy Morgan participates in the gay parade next month then I will accept his apology. Saying he is sorry is not enough.

tmz-top-comments
Paul Paul

"For those who don't get it....being gay isn't "what you are"...it's "who you are"...and what he did was he meant to destroy the core of a persons spirit....so stop saying gays are being too sensitive...it's way deeper than that....if we're "too sensitive" well your just way too shallow for anyone I'd want to know....and I as a gay man never sit around thinking about what other people do in bed..gay bashers do...to me they are the ones that need some serious help..."

Freshlycrown3d Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people act like this is something new its not.

justmyopinion justmyopinion

come ON..this guy isn't even funny, never was..he talks like a 7-year-old who spews out every curse word he knows just to see if he can get a reaction..that's comedy? NOPE. He's lucky he's friends w/Tina Fey--probably the reason he's still on tv.

dOoOshie dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH... Some people don't like gay people. Some people don't like black people, white people, Christians, Muslims, etc. If you don't like what he says don't listen. Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

Mike44090 Mike44090

Why is it that people are ready to accept Tracy Morgan's apology but when it was Michael Richards rant against black his career was over, Could it be that gay's are STILL considered second class citizens in this country?

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass.

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

RichInGB RichInGB

Marie Marie

devlzadvocate

dooshie, okay, but you cannot advocate for their murder. no. sorry. you. cannot.

devlzadvocate

washout22, why are you concerned? you eating?

Carl

The people screaming about freedom of speech seem pretty clueless about what freedom of speech is. Is the government investigating this or making any comments on the situation? Of course not, because his freedom of speech is protected from government intrusion. Freedom of speech does not protect you from private citizens and organizations from using THEIR freedom of speech to criticize you.

devlzadvocate

Dooshie - I'm sure Harvey Levine, who owns TMZ and the website you are on would be interested in your comments. I think he might disagree with you.

jojochicago

The jokes were hilarious! Everybody so sensative. Get over yourself! I wouldn't have apologized.

devlzadvocate

That's right. Stabbing children is hysterical!

HumanNature

I KNOW THAT WE "ALL" JOKE!!!

BUT WHAT IF YOUR SON IS "GAY", TRACY MORGAN????

WOULD YOU HARM YOUR OWN "CHILD"???

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freshlycrown3d

Rogue Warrior

fstblk about an hour ago

Harvey is always making remarks about black people, and some of the remarks that are made on this site about blacks he does'nt delete.When Harvey was in thr closet he was afraid of being outed. Now that he's out he takes revenge on people.Life has a way of catching up with all of us Harvey.I'm not even a lawyer and i know that.
===========================================================
Wow, you know you're right. That was a fear of his and now his life's work is dedicated to "outing" the shena****ns of the celebrities. Interesting.....

en Todo Momento!!

damn. the gays/hommos must be exhausted from being bombarded with insults from all sides!! it took them a WHOLE WEEK!!??? to respond to tracy morgan's slurrant??! it's like a gay-bash blitz krieg. wonder if that is what poland ever felt like...nah, i highly doubt.

en Todo Momento!!

maybe if his daughter was a lsbo tho, he would ask if he could watch. you knever know...:DDD!!

sickofher

Everyone is to sensitive in this country, get over it! Freedom of speech people. You can't please everyone, espically the loser liberals, oh wait....weiner

T. Bag Jones

I'm gay and I'm not sensitive to 'jokes' Tracy Morgan tells...just like I'm sure he's not sensitive to the black jokes I tell. I mean, if my son turned out to be gay I wouldn't mind...but if he turned out black I'd stab him.

Q: Two black guys decide to jump off a building; who lands first?
A: Who cares?

Q: A black guy and his black girlfriend are in a car. Who's driving?
A: The cop!

Q: Why are black peoples nostrils so big?
A: Because that's what God held them by when he was painting them.

Q: What do you get if you search for babboon in dictionary?
A: You get a picture of Robert Mugabe.

Q: What is black, purple,and yellow?
A: A black person goin to church.

Q: How do they make roads in South Africa?
A: They make the black people lay down and have every other one smile.

Q: What do you call a black guy who goes to college?
A: A Basketball player.

Q: How can you tell a black person is lying?
A: His lips are moving.

Q: Why are there more black folk then Indians?
A: Because we haven't played Cowboys and Black folk yet!

Q: How do you break up the "Million Man March"?
A: Fly overhead with helicopters and drop job applications.

Q: Why did the black man wear a tuxedo to his vasectomy?
A: He said: "If I'ze gonna be im-po-tent, I wanna looks im-po-tant."

Q: What do they do with blacks after they die?
A: Gut them and use them as wetsuits.

Q: What does it mean when you see a bunch of blacks running in one direction?
A: Jail break

Q: What do you call 4 black guys in a car?
A: Tinted windows.

Q: Why are black ladies pocket books so big?
A: They have to put their lipstick some where.

Q: What do u call 1,000 black people on a plane back to Africa?
A: A good start.

Q: Why are all black people fast?
A: Because the slow ones are in jail.

Q: What's long and hard on a blackman?
A: The first grade.

Q: What do you call a bunch of blacks falling down a hill?
A: A mudslide .

Q: What did the black kid get for christmas?
A: Your T.V

Gee I'm sorry...my jokes are not funny in any context.

Chatter

@ devlzadvocate....

Are we off our meds today??? Where did you get "murder of a child" from? You're making some pretty wild connections there. Been watching too much Glenn Beck?!?

john

Does this mean that the gay and lesbian community cannot laugh at any jokes directed at the straight community? fair is fair right ?
if you can laugh at others then you should be able to have gay and lesbian jokes told about you Talk about being a "pitcher" and not a "catcher".