Morgan Apologizes

My Gay Jokes Were

NOT FUNNY

6/10/2011 9:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy Morgan just issued an apology  for the homophobic "jokes" he told during a performance in Nashville last Friday -- saying he "went too far" and his act was "not funny in any context."

Tracy Morgan

In the statement, which Morgan sent to several gay rights groups, the comic says, "I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville."

He adds, "I'm not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others."

"While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.

As TMZ previously reported, Morgan ignited a firestorm for the homophobic content in his act -- in which he said he would stab his son if he acted gay.

Back in Morgan's "Saturday Night Live" days, the actor starred in a sketch called" Homocil" -- in which he takes pills to "deal" with the fact that his son is gay.

tmz-top-comments
DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

"He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass"

RichInGB RichInGB

Remember when Richard Pryor would drop N bombs on stage, or Eddie Murphy, or whoever in the 70's and 80's? The whole crowd laughed. I bet if Morgan was openly gay, nobody would give a crap. People have become overly PC, IMO. He's a comedian, it's an act.

Marie Marie

Unless Tracy Morgan participates in the gay parade next month then I will accept his apology. Saying he is sorry is not enough.

tmz-top-comments
Paul Paul

"For those who don't get it....being gay isn't "what you are"...it's "who you are"...and what he did was he meant to destroy the core of a persons spirit....so stop saying gays are being too sensitive...it's way deeper than that....if we're "too sensitive" well your just way too shallow for anyone I'd want to know....and I as a gay man never sit around thinking about what other people do in bed..gay bashers do...to me they are the ones that need some serious help..."

Freshlycrown3d Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people act like this is something new its not.

justmyopinion justmyopinion

come ON..this guy isn't even funny, never was..he talks like a 7-year-old who spews out every curse word he knows just to see if he can get a reaction..that's comedy? NOPE. He's lucky he's friends w/Tina Fey--probably the reason he's still on tv.

dOoOshie dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH... Some people don't like gay people. Some people don't like black people, white people, Christians, Muslims, etc. If you don't like what he says don't listen. Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

Mike44090 Mike44090

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass.

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

RichInGB RichInGB

Marie Marie

HER

Why does everyone keep comparing this to what Michael Richards did?? Tracy didn't single out anyone in the audience and attack them personally like Michael Richards did. I agree that the special interest groups that "demand" things just bring themselves under more fire!!!

ashley

TRACIE SHOULDN'T APOLOGIZE! FREEDOM OF SPEECH, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SPEAK YOUR MIND OR MAKE JOKES ETC, NO ONE EVER SAID THERE WAS A RIGHT TO NOT BE OFFENDED. STFU PEOPLE, GET OVER IT, TOUGHEN UP. THIS IS AMERICA DAMN IT!!

johnjohn

Ralphie mae did almost the same jokes years ago and nothing was said about that. Suck it up and take a joke!

Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people acting like this is something new its not.

JackBQuik

Tracy did not wuss out or apologize for what he said. He apologized if his choice of words offended anyone because that was not his intention. He is a comedian and was expressing his feelings if he found out his son was gay. He echoes millions of Dads who feel the same way. While his comment about taking it up the wazoo was distasteful, if you think about it, there is some truth in that scenario. Shuddup if you can take pain up the wazoo, you can take anything. His comments were different from Michael Richards who basically told the entire Black (African American if preferred) community that they should be strung up and lynched. Nothing funny about slavery and lies. But it's funny that we haven't heard from Richards since that comment.

RED

Tracy was on a flight one time.
Saying, here comes the black guy, the whities better lookout?
He kept it up the whole flight. The white women don't want to sit next to me?
What was that all about.

en Todo Momento!!

and anyways...it wouldn't be nice to stab your son for being gay, because you should probably stab the man who molested him...if ya know what i'm saying...(delete to come soon????..go figure...)

thekabsin

I can't believe people are comparing this to what "Kramer" did. Kramer lashed out at specific people and called them ******s. Tracy Morgan did not single out anyone and did not direct hateful words towards any specific individual. He is a comedian, responsible of reflecting social views and expressing his absurd perspective of his surroundings. If he truly feels this way I am fine with it. I don't care what gay people do, don't care what you have sex with. What it all boils down to is that man and woman are biologically built for one another. If your brain is telling you to not reproduce then hey, do your thing but stop demanding special treatment. This apology is hallow and I am actually upset that he apologized but I am sure the people that pay his bills would fear the gay groups and the backlash of allowing him on 30 Rock without some sort of apology. I think that this is disgusting. Eddie Murphy on Raw talks about how he is afraid of his girlfriend hanging out with homos because he doesnt want her to kiss her gay friend and come home and kiss him and give him aids. Is this routine really all that offensive and why is it such a big deal suddenly? I love gay people btw, I don't think that it is right but it doesnt mean I can't respect them as a human being and my gay friends respect my views as much as I do theirs. We all live and die and there truly is no standard

Rogue Warrior

Th above article is written by a black man who has worked for GLAAD. I think you'll come away with the same feeling I did, they're a bunch of hypocrites who discriminate themselves.

Paul

DetroitRocks

lynda sacks

HI!
My name is Lynda . I am Canadian-born in Mtl.I moved to LA one year ago and have been a loyal TMZ fan since day 1.I have many geusts who come to stay with me in my new home whom I have taken on your bus tour.My most recent was with Van- who is SUPER ! We had a great time.Now -I am trying to link your TMZ Facebook clips to my Canadians - AND THEY CAN'T OPEN THEM. Instead of opening them up to Canada--why not do a TMZ - Canada version ? Don't count us out.WE ARE INCREDIBLY LOYAL AND LOVING FANS AND RIGHT NOW I AM SO DISAPPOINTED..my girlfriends cant even see Adrienne drinking her $$$$$$ champagne.! COME ON GUYS -- HARVEY -WHAT IS GOING ON ? PLEASE ADVISE AND THEN FIX THIS OR AT LEAST LET ME KNOW WHYYYYY ? ::((

DEVASTATED CANADIAN FAN.:) living in the Grove.

Shannon

@ Mike44090, It is not that gay's are second class citizens, but that they are understanding people that know when to accept an apology. Maybe black's aren't there yet...

Mike44090 wrote: "Why is it that people are ready to accept Tracy Morgan's apology but when it was Michael Richards rant against black his career was over, Could it be that gay's are STILL considered second class citizens in this country?"

Rogue Warrior

T. Bag Jones 7 minutes ago

I'm gay and I'm not sensitive to 'jokes' Tracy Morgan tells...just like I'm sure he's not sensitive to the black jokes I tell. I mean, if my son turned out to be gay I wouldn't mind...but if he turned out black I'd stab him.
=============================================

LMAO at the jokes, doubt they will stay up though.

Harvey should run a poll on whether or not TMZ'rs think TMZ has become a platform for GLAAD's agenda????? Harvey seems to be in bed with them.....

ghfghfg

who wrote those jokes? Gay jokes suck ... Poor people jokes are the funniest ive ever heard, and race jokes when making fun of their own race.