« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Super Bowl Hero: Gay Marriage Will Lead to 'Anarchy'

6/16/2011 6:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ex-NY Giants receiver David Tyree -- who made the LEGENDARY helmet catch in Super Bowl XLII -- is coming out against gay marriage HARD ... claiming it's the first step on the road to "ANARCHY."061511_david_tyree_still

Tyree made the statements during an interview earlier today with the National Organization for Marriage -- a faith-based anti-gay marriage group.

During the interview, Tyree is asked about the push to legalize gay marriage in the United States -- and says if it happens, "This will be the beginning of our country sliding toward ... it's a strong word, but anarchy."

0615_David_Tyree_GETTY
To reinforce his point, Tyree says, "You can't teach something that you don't have ... so two men will never be able to show a woman how to be a woman."

And the kicker, Tyree -- who's black -- says, "How can marriage be marriage for thousands of years and now all the sudden because a minority, an influential minority, has a push or agenda ... and totally reshapes something that was not founded in our country."

FYI -- Tyree's statement comes almost 44 years to the day after interracial marriage was legalized in the United States ... thanks, in part, to the agenda of an influential minority.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Whocaires Whocaires

David Tyree is 100% RIGHT. Do we vilify a gay man for saying a heterosexual lifestyle is wrong? Of course not - that would be bigotry. We can NO LONGER speak up in this country, or disagree with someone or something without immediately being called a bigot or racist. Our country is falling apart - and we're wondering why. Look around us. Anything goes now, and it coincides with the social agendas being forced down our throats.

lalalalauren lalalalauren

Classy. I am so glad he is staying true to his minority roots. Oh wait...

Ed Ed

Now he will get slammed for saying something he believes in. I applaud him for taking a stand against immorality.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Regah Regah

Uh, weren't blacks an influential minority not long ago? I remember people saying the same thing about civil rights of African Americans. He sounds like a rich white guy 50 years ago.

Updog Updog

If marriage is so sacred then we should outlaw divorce.

Nick Benson Sr Nick Benson Sr

Good going Tyree!! Finally someone to stand up for what is right! Real men stand up for what they believe in and don't apologize like the wimps Kobe and Obama! Tyree, you are awesome!

MeMe MeMe

It's wonderful to see such an influential man standing up for what he believes in. We need more like him!

TheMarshmallowMan TheMarshmallowMan

Why does anyone care who someone marries, grow the f up. The strongest empires (greek and rome) embraced homosexuality and only faltered when Christianity took over. Maybe he should pick up a history book.

Phil Alger Phil Alger

Lets get real! It's wrong all you all know it! Marriage is between a woman & a man! Now how would you multiple any other way! Please don't be so stupid to say a surrogate, that just enforces what I said!

Little Lord Rivas Little Lord Rivas

Strong words for a guy who catches balls in his face.

Bee Bee

I applaud this young man for speaking up.

lizzimmer lizzimmer

David Tyree was raised by a single mother and has 2 sisters. Yet SOMEHOW he managed to "learn to be a man". Sort of flies in the face of his asinine logic, no?

Whocaires Whocaires

lalalalauren lalalalauren

Classy. I am so glad he is staying true to his minority roots. Oh wait...

Ed Ed

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

RobP

I don't understand how people can quote history! He thinks our concept of marriage has been around for THOUSANDS of years??? American culture has it's roots at best 400 years ago and now has incorporated almost every other modern culture due to immigration from all over the world? What about the Mormons? What about Sunni Arabs from Saudi Arabia? He said thousands of years - Genghis Kahn had TONS of wives?
That paragraph was from just one of his sentences!

WikipediaBrown

Why does anyone care what this biggot has to say? He hasn't done anything influential in years, since his one fluke play.

connie

Here's my issue with that word "tolerance" that get's kicked around. Tolerance implies that the person being tolerated is doing something misguided or somehow wrong. I don't "tolerate" anybody from the GLBT community, blacks, asians, christians, muslims or any culture, race or ethinicity. I embrace with gratitude the enrichment that people of all different sorts provide to my life, my community and my country (Canada in fact). I save that word "tolerance" when I am referring to biggots, racists and those who would undermine the human rights of any individual who happens be different they are. I "tolerate" these people for their ignorance or misguided upbringings that have led them to hate or fear others who may challenge their personal beliefs.

Muppet

Someone please send this guy information on homosexuality so he can educate himself! These people are no different than he is, they were born homosexual, he was born black. They don't have a choice either!!
I agree that he has the right to his opinion but should that opinion not be an informed opinion??
This man clearly thinks that gay people choose to be gay. In the year 2011 that's really sad!!

JonCav

Ok.. so I will put it to you like this.... I saw someone with a marriage sticker on their car and it was a black woman... I pointed it out to her and said "This is just like me riding around with a stick that reads: Freedom should only be for white people." She immediately was on the defensive and pissed off... Now how do you think I feel as a gay man? Ignorance is intolerable.

Amy

I DO NOT understand how anyone can have a problem with the fact that two adults, that love each other want to be married?! It just makes no sense to me...and don't give me the whole "it's against God" thing! God made gay people and God does not make mistakes! God loves us all.

sunshinerad

i couldn't agree more.

Sarah

Phil, you act like if gay marriage is legalized that EVERYONE will be gay. (Are you worried you may cross over?) If you haven't noticed being gay is not the predominate disposition. Legalizing marriage will not result in no children being born.

Allie

"Marriage should be between two people." That is the only thing needed for a marriage. The idea that marriage is solely for procreation is ridiculous. That's not it's purpose. I can't believe the number of people who agree with this guy! I'm absolutely disgusted how close-minded people are. If it doesn't affect you, why the hell do you care? Live your own life, stay out of others!

Denise Cabrera

It's is ridiculous to use reproduction as a reason for marriage that supports heterosexual couples because many married couples do not have children!! I still haven't heard of anyone fighting against marriages that do not include offspring, because of reproductive complications or choice! It seems to me like it plain old homophobia that is the primary culprit!

TiminPhx

And look at the still they choose to show him. Good to see TMZ is as unbaised as all the other media. Yeah right. TMZ is simply like 95% of the media in the country in that it leans more and more left. And people whine about lonely little Fox News.

I think more of him for saying what he thinks in an obvious Politically Correct world where his isn't the "Correct" opinion.

bewildered bystander

the CHICKEN LITTLE ARGUEMENT HUH?
THE SKY IS FALLING, AHHHHHHHH!
NOT ESPECIALLY WELL THOUGHT OUT BUT HES NOTHING BUT A DUMB JOCK

Mrs. Mathers

elpablo 11 minutes ago Race does not equate to a behavior. We can't control our race, but we can control our behavior. Wise up people!
-------------------------------------------------------------
Really?! I am a bi-sexual woman and I cant control that I am just sexually attracted to women as I am men, you don't just wake up and say hmmmmm I think I want to be different and hated and judged for the rest of my life so Ill be gay. Its like i*****irl really likes you and you dont like her you cant just change and be like I want to like her so I do! and now magically your are attracted to her. And people don't give me that you dont have to have sex speech either! When most people cant even stop cheating on their lover!!!! You have the right to think what you want but you shouldn't have the right from stopping people from getting married when it isn't hurting anybody, it is two consenting adults in love.

skip

marshmallowman will you.......please pick up a history book
any society that embraced homosexuality is destroyed...

Bee

And what's with you people immediately assuming that those of us for traditional marriage are "religious wackjobs"?

The penis is meant to go into the vagina, not where poop comes out.

Makes as much sense to stick it to someone in the ear or up their nose and call it natural lovin'.