Republican Senator: 'F**k It,' Gays Should Marry

6/17/2011 11:24 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Republican New York State Senator Roy McDonald has SHATTERED party lines in support of gay marriage -- telling reporters, "F**k it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing."

0617_roy_mcdonald_bn

The battle rages on in New York to legalize gay marriage -- but McDonald threw his hat in the ring earlier this week ... with the greatest statement of all time, claiming, "You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing."

"You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, f**k it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing."

"I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this."

With McDonald's support, the gay marriage bill is only ONE vote shy of being made into law -- which would make New York the sixth state to legalize gay marriage.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Lyell Lyell

Good for him!!! His constituents should be proud to have a man like him representing them. It's refreshing to see someone who votes their own convictions and not the party line.

Mr. Clean Mr. Clean

Yes! "F*** it, do the right thing" Words to live by!

SUN SUN

The more America continues to turn away from God and his teachings; we will continue in a downward spiral. We are slowly elimintating God from our country, and look at how we are declining as a nation.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Lyell Lyell

Mr. Clean Mr. Clean

Yes! "F*** it, do the right thing" Words to live by!

SUN SUN

mary mary

Another coward buckling under and choosing GLAAD over GOD. Big eternal mistake.

Michelle Michelle

I love the idea of our country growing up, finally we may get to a point where everyone is really equal.

MIDNIGHT TOKER MIDNIGHT TOKER

well they should get the benefits but marriage? nahhhhhhh if everyone was gay we all would be dead....it takes a man and a woman to futher the population......

Kathy Kathy

A Republican who has a mind of his own!!! Never thought I would see that. Good for him!

Lynn Lynn

LOVE it! I wish more politicians would say f--- it and do the right thing!!

roberg roberg

Horrible of him to give up on his morals. He lost himself to being pushed around and bullied into a decision he is clearly not satisfied in making.

lvtolft

I am super impressed. Someone is actually thinking with some sense. Great to hear!

PRO US

Brave guy to go against his party's line on the issue. We need more independent thinkers and fewer "yes men" and conformists.

smashley

This guy's the real deal... if only more politicians followed suit.

villenuv27

I've been a Republican for a long time and I absolutely agree with him. This should be a non-issue. I wish politicians on both sides would follow his lead.

Craig

Good for him! I've become so cynical that I didn't think human beings were capable of standing up for the right thing anymore. What he just did is a very big deal.

Barb

This is a first! A Republican doing the right thing. Well, I give him props anyway, which is more than any Republican would do for a Democrat.

Where's KOOKY?

GOOD FOR HIM! LOVE his attitude! We need more politicians like him from BOTH sides!

gutsygirl

He was elected to speak for the people of his District, not just himself. If that works for them then it's all that matters.

Scientific

No kidding...this guy should run for PRES-O-DENT!!

roberg

Jj

And what happened then? Well...in New York they say
That the hopes of gays grew with one more vote that day!
But as all the supporters of marriage equality know:
In terms of real success, this means one vote down, one to go.

Stupid People Hater

Hell yeah., I wish more politicians talked to reporters like that. **** yeah.

jack-55d79

I really admire that he's done this. That's leadership. Not following the herd for political expediency.

Woot

OMG! I'm so impressed... I'll never forget this guy's name and what he did. I'm neither Republican nor gay, but this is definitely THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

Way to go, Senator McDonald!!!!!

roberg

Since when is TMZ becoming so politically motivated. ONLY if it involves GAY issues! Stick to Hollywood TMZ!