Clarence Clemons Dies

6/19/2011 6:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary saxophonist Clarence Clemons died today of complications from a stroke he suffered back on June 12. He was 69.

0613_clarence_clemons_getty_bn
Clemons, known to fans as the Big Man, was the most famous member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. His music cut through on songs like "Born To Run," "Thunder Road," "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out," and "Dancing In The Dark"... and on and on.

Bruce Springsteen released a statement, saying, "Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage. His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly forty years."

The statement continued, "He was my great friend, my partner, and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band."

Clemons was married five times and had four sons --  Clarence III, Charles, Christopher and Jarod.

0613_CLARENCE_CLEMONS_remembering_footer

jhck

no sax on dancing in the dark!

Duke

He had a hell of a fast ball. Does anyone know how many strikeouts he had?

Barb

Rest you rest in peace Clarence. I will miss your beautiful music. Your family and friends have my condolences.

freedom40

Rest in Peace! Robin Quivers shoulda given you a break...

rICHARD b

We have lost a musical legend. He played an incredible Saxophone. Just listen to Bruce Springsteen's "Born To Run" .
RIP Clarence . :(

Lillyputt

Oh no, Mr big man.My heart weeps knowing that i will never see you on stage again.Thank you for the wonderful gift that you have given us, your music and you.I'll never forget you or the gentleman that you were. Bless you and your family.

whateva

RIP "Big Man" I had the priviledge of meeting you some years back when you opened your club "Big Man's in Red Bank NJ. sorry you had to leave us, will miss that wicked sax.

Sersi

awww so sad, RIP Big Man, my condolences to his family & friends.

cpakins

He was one of the best!

roll3567

the end of an era and perhaps the e street band as well.

rip big man!

Karen

Apparently they are going to start a band in heaven and they needed a saxophonist, so they chose only the best! Rest in peace, Big Man. My condolences to his family.

joey

I will not wait years. The Big man must have a statue in AP asap.it meant too much to me and countless others,Bruce please get him a memorial. I'd like you to make it happen and
soon. I believe it's already in the works, man i'm gonna miss that man.

BLESS HIS SOUL
kenny

Martin

Never heard of the guy....

gazoo

Incredibly sad. The man was a major talent and a class act all the way. The only good thing to come out of this, is this will compel Bruce to write a beautiful tribute song, as he did when Danny Federici passed, with The Last Carnival.
Thank you Big Man for all the joy you gave so freely. You will truly be missed. RIP.

Bettsie

Very sad to hear of the passing of Clarence Clemons a great talent helped so many smaller guy's make it to big stars. We shall not forget him. R.I.P Clarence condolences to his family and friends.