Clarence Clemons Dies

6/19/2011 6:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary saxophonist Clarence Clemons died today of complications from a stroke he suffered back on June 12. He was 69.

0613_clarence_clemons_getty_bn
Clemons, known to fans as the Big Man, was the most famous member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. His music cut through on songs like "Born To Run," "Thunder Road," "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out," and "Dancing In The Dark"... and on and on.

Bruce Springsteen released a statement, saying, "Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage. His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly forty years."

The statement continued, "He was my great friend, my partner, and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band."

Clemons was married five times and had four sons --  Clarence III, Charles, Christopher and Jarod.

0613_CLARENCE_CLEMONS_remembering_footer

Wade Collins

Sorry to hear about the Big Man, he was the best. Not really a Springsteen fan anymore (he became too political and polarized)
but Clarence gave Bruce a traditional 50's rock and roll sensibility which juxtaposed the tripe arena rock of the time. Without Clarence I am not sure Bruce would have ever broke through, as Tenth Avenue Freeze Out says it all. RIP.

llachef

Well...we really lost a good one today. Not only an incredible sax. player but an incredible person. He will be missed but never forgotten.

CarolynAB

Sad news. Rest in peace, and thank you for the music.

mike

A great great man has passed. I will never forget you my friend!

Ziggy

Too Soon....RIP Big Man

winkenstein

His tremendous talent was the only thing that offset Bruce's horrifyingly bad vocals. Godspeed, Clarence.

bring back recent posts

100% Lady Gaga will mention his passing at her performance Sunday at the MuchMusic Video Awards in Toronto...

mary

RIP, will miss you......

QueenOfStarwars

A legend. He'll be missed.

janet

Being from Jersey, never a fan of Bruce Springsteen, you hear the songs on the radio...But what always stood out was the Sax.

R.I.P. Mr. Clemons.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Oh Big Man, Rest In Melody. :(

My condolences to all of his family.

pl

oh no--I saw him with Springsteen in like 1975 when they first came out. My husband worked for their record company. I'll never forget the playing around that they did when they performed "Rosalita." Oh my god, I am soooo sad. What a talent and what a truly great and incredible guy. I am so honored that I got to see him in person more than once - I saw them in Nashville last year and got to take my daughter and son-in-law to see them. Love you Big Man!

Shadyrok

RIP bro...

tlc

So sad...So Missed, So Appreciated!!!

BEAVER The Puppet