Clarence Clemons Dies

6/19/2011 6:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary saxophonist Clarence Clemons died today of complications from a stroke he suffered back on June 12. He was 69.

0613_clarence_clemons_getty_bn
Clemons, known to fans as the Big Man, was the most famous member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. His music cut through on songs like "Born To Run," "Thunder Road," "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out," and "Dancing In The Dark"... and on and on.

Bruce Springsteen released a statement, saying, "Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage. His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly forty years."

The statement continued, "He was my great friend, my partner, and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band."

Clemons was married five times and had four sons --  Clarence III, Charles, Christopher and Jarod.

0613_CLARENCE_CLEMONS_remembering_footer

alice

Just heard the news!!!!!Shocked, earlier in week they said he was making good progress.
saw Big Man in Foxboro Ma. his sax solo in If I Fall Behind brought tears to my eyes......deepest sympathy to his family. The music did die today!!!! Rest in Peace Big Man and thank-you!!!!!

Patsy Allison

My heart is broken.......... We will all miss you Clarence.

Roxanne Stones

well the change was made up and the Big Man left the band...tonight in Jungleland...R.I.P.

I'm so sad. :(

Lorraine

RIP Big Man. The stars are shining a little dimmer tonight. We've lost a great talant and gentle spirit. Thanks for all the music and memories. We will miss you.

crazy christmas pie

. . . .and why does the writer say he suffered a stroke "'back' on June 12th"--as though that were some time ago--that wasn't even a week ago today?!

CloBird

This is disappointing news;how sad. May he rest in peace.

bailey

yeah, i don't really care. lol

The Outsider

Gary Null says that if you take two tablespoons of olive oil a day, you will not get a stroke.

John Sal

awww this is a very sad day for me and my whole family. My deepest regrets go out to Clerance's family and Bruce and the E street Band. I'll never forget the first concert I took my wife to back in 1972 (give or take LOL) at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA. When the band first started playing... Clarence didn't come out on the stage. Then out of no where this BIG MAN in a white suite and white hat and beautiful golden sax came out onto the stage and it was truely amazing.

Since then i have never missed a concert in Philly. I gather my entourge of family and friends (about 20-25) and we attend each and every show. I was lucky enough to share my love for Bruce and the E street Band with my 4 grandsons at the last 4 amazing show they played at the Spectrum.

Tonight will will sit and share our favorite memeories of Clarence and remember the BIG MAN.

May he rest in peace w/ Danny.

wundersmack

Loved you, Big Man. So sad to see you go.

MLS

What a great loss. My condolences to the family and friends. He will truly be missed.

Randi and Lexa Paige

From the moment I met Clarence in 1980 his talent amazed me. He was truely a legend in my eyes. My heart and prayers go out to his family. He will be missed by all.. He personally took an interest in my daughter who is an artist, he opened up his home
to listen to her tracks and shared his do***entary with us and we sat on his couch .as if we were family..
his love of music was as big as his heart... He will be missed but most of all remembered for being an asset to the the E Street Band..God rest his soul.I am greatful for his advice and kindness...He promised me he would climb the GREAT WALL Of CHINA IN Beijing and he did...Known as The " BIG MAN" That he was bigger then life and loved it and lived it... R>I>P

YouDontSay

D A M N

HumanNature

R.I.P BIG MAN!!!

Patsy Allison

My heart is broken. Things will never be the same....... We love you Clarence.