Clarence Clemons Dies

6/19/2011 6:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary saxophonist Clarence Clemons died today of complications from a stroke he suffered back on June 12. He was 69.

0613_clarence_clemons_getty_bn
Clemons, known to fans as the Big Man, was the most famous member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. His music cut through on songs like "Born To Run," "Thunder Road," "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out," and "Dancing In The Dark"... and on and on.

Bruce Springsteen released a statement, saying, "Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage. His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly forty years."

The statement continued, "He was my great friend, my partner, and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band."

Clemons was married five times and had four sons --  Clarence III, Charles, Christopher and Jarod.

0613_CLARENCE_CLEMONS_remembering_footer

Joe NYer

You'll always be THE big man. A job well done. Without your magic of sound and technique, Bruce might never have had the impact he did. perhaps YOU were that impact.

Ugh

Jungleland always brought a small tear to my eye, but listening to it now will be even sadder. R.I.P. Big Man.....thank you for decades of incredible memories

Roxanne Stones

John Sal45 minutes ago

awww this is a very sad day for me and my whole family. My deepest regrets go out to Clerance's family and Bruce and the E street Band. I'll never forget the first concert I took my wife to back in 1972 (give or take LOL) at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA. When the band first started playing... Clarence didn't come out on the stage. Then out of no where this BIG MAN in a white suite and white hat and beautiful golden sax came out onto the stage and it was truely amazing.

Since then i have never missed a concert in Philly. I gather my entourge of family and friends (about 20-25) and we attend each and every show. I was lucky enough to share my love for Bruce and the E street Band with my 4 grandsons at the last 4 amazing show they played at the Spectrum.

Aww man! The Spectrum! I think that was the best venue EVER to see Bruce & the band.

David Jasper

So sad to see him go. may he rest in peace.

Phil

RIP big man..... Where do we go from here? What will we do without those tenor sax notes that cut right through you...no studio musician will ever capture his heart on the stage....an end of a huge era!!

r smith

Rest in Peace Big Man.

Scott Harrah

Rest in peace "Big Man"'. You brought your own style, your talents, and bigger then life personality to a great cast of characters in The E Street Band. You will forever be missed! Thanks for all the great memories!

Cathy

We loved seeing you with Bruce and the boys. Great memories. Heaven now has an angel playing a golden sax, continuing to entertain.

nof

The genius behind seeking Bruce Springsteen out -

And how this one simple act -

Changed CC's Destiny -

A lot of times we don't act on an instinct or a feeling -

And, as a result, die unknown -

We can all learn a lot from the dude -

nof

fstblk

NOELLA!!!! YOU ARE A STUPID UNCARING FOOL!! I SURE HOPE YOU DON'T HAVE ANYMORE SPAWN AS IGNORANT AS YOU ARE.WHOEVER HE MARRIED I CAN BET HE'S GLAD IT WAS'NT SOMEONE AS IGNORANT AS YOU. YOU WILL BE MISSED BIG MAN REST IN PEACE.

Cartman

Man, that sucks.

Rest in peace, bro.

Amalia

Clarence Clemons - you are and always will be The Big Man. I am so pleased to see such positive comments on here for a change (sans some comment about him marrying a white girl - must we always make it about race, people?) Clarence, your music lives on in our hearts and souls! Thank you for being an incredible person.

lana

Clarence was the "Man", I've seen Bruce & E-Street in concert many times. Clarence was always great, sorry that he passed away the day before "Father's Day". Clarence play that sax's in Heaven, will all be listening down here on Earth. Rock On Clarence Love & Peace """""""""river of tears for you; E-Street on Sirius 20 tonight

Minxster

noella - you're an idiot.

billy

The Big Man will live in our hearts forever.