Clarence Clemons Dies

6/19/2011 6:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary saxophonist Clarence Clemons died today of complications from a stroke he suffered back on June 12. He was 69.

0613_clarence_clemons_getty_bn
Clemons, known to fans as the Big Man, was the most famous member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. His music cut through on songs like "Born To Run," "Thunder Road," "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out," and "Dancing In The Dark"... and on and on.

Bruce Springsteen released a statement, saying, "Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage. His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly forty years."

The statement continued, "He was my great friend, my partner, and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band."

Clemons was married five times and had four sons --  Clarence III, Charles, Christopher and Jarod.

0613_CLARENCE_CLEMONS_remembering_footer

Rob

Never heard of him....

CN

5 Wives??? wonder where he will spend eternity

Ellery

Clarence Clemons was the heart of the E Street Band and for me, personified all that was good about the music of my generation. My prayers go out to his family and many friends everywhere, as well as to the band members.

RIP

Rest in Peace

Carrie

What a terrible loss of such a gifted talent. He made that sax soar! Rest in peace, Big Man. You were the best!!

John

I've never heard of him, but from these comments he must have been great. As a gay, Springsteen music never spoke to me. And I wish Gaga would fade away. My sympathy to his family.

Bubba

He had a hell of a fastball. How many strikeouts did he have?

flora68

"CN said, "5 Wives??? wonder where he will spend eternity"

Are you serious?

"CN", I was curious to see what kind of an a-hole would post something that pompous and stupid, so I clicked on your login to read your previous posts.

Just what I thought; you are consistently a hateful moron without a clue about ANYTHING! Nothing you have EVER posted here has contributed anything whatsoever. You are obviously a very miserable, hateful, clueless idiot; all you EVER post are outrageously hateful, judgmental smart-ass remarks; never anything the least bit insightful, nothing even remotely intelligent, nothing funny, nothing worth reading. But that never stops you from shooting off your stupid mouth.

I'd wonder where YOU will "spend eternity", but it's obvious; you'll be deep in the worthless a-hole section. Jerk.

Bubba

You rock, flora68!

flora68

QE2

Yesterday, the Big Man joined the band....

sunshinerad

RIP Clarence. You did big things.

moG

I have loved you for over 30 years Big Man....you will be missed forever. I cannot imagine how much of a loss this is for Bruce. You were "Blood Brothers"

R.I.P.

moG

Hey Rob,

You must be a young punk if you have never heard of him. Typical of your generation.

Adelina