Roger Ebert: 'I Was Probably Too Quick to Tweet'

6/21/2011 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Roger Ebert says he "was probably too quick to tweet" about the car crash that killed "Jackass" star Ryan Dunn yesterday ... explaining that his post was "not intended as cruel."

0621_ebert_bam_BN_01

Ebert just blogged about the situation on his website -- saying, "To begin with, I offer my sympathy to Ryan Dunn's family and friends, and to those of Zachary Hartwell, who also died in the crash. I mean that sincerely. It is tragic to lose a loved one."

Ebert continues, "I also regret that my tweet about the event was considered cruel. It was not intended as cruel. It was intended as true."

Ebert explains that he wrote the tweet based on preliminary reports and admits, "I have no way of knowing if Ryan Dunn was drunk at the time of his death."

"I don't know what happened in this case, and I was probably too quick to tweet. That was unseemly."

0621_ebert_tweet_yesterday

Ebert, however, staunchly defends the message in his tweet -- that people should NOT drink and drive -- saying, "I do know that nobody has any business driving on a public highway at 110 mph, as some estimated -- or fast enough, anyway, to leave a highway and fly through 40 yards of trees before crashing."

"That is especially true if the driver has had three shots and three beers. Two people were killed. What if the car had crashed into another car?"

As we previously reported, Dunn's friend Bam Margera WENT OFF on Ebert last night -- telling the movie critic to shut his "f**king mouth" about Dunn's crash.

Diana

Roger was right about what he said. It may have been too soon, but the truth of the matter is, Dunn was most likely drunk. At his age, the No Drinking and Driving should have been hammered into his head like the rest of us. Thankfully he didn't not crash into another car causing more lose of life. I hope that because he was a celebrity, this will shine more light on Drinking and Driving - which is 100% preventable.

Team SNL

Regardless of what Ryan did, he paid for it dearly, with his life.

I can hardly imagine something more gauche than wanting to prove to the whole world that you are against drinking and driving, choosing as your venue a death announcement.

What provoked this?

Was it a desire to go against that pro-drinking-and-driving lobby in the press that is so powerful? Was it a desire to show how much better a person you were than Ryan? If so, wow! You set your sights pretty high!

In a time of tragedy, grandstanding is truly nauseating.

In our celebrity-crazy world it is beyond sad that experts in film find it necessary to also broadcast about public health, safety etc.

There are people who do that for a living, so let's stick to movies.

washout22

Bam should smash that ugly old dudes crusty corn kernal looking teeth out of his slack jaw. And I cant believe how crude some of the comments that are made on this site. I hope none of the classless loosers on this site dont vote, or we will wind up with another Bush in office. You people are really ignorant, classless, a holes. I'd love to smash your faces in.

Observer

Roger should assume a lower profile. Sorry, but it's hard to look at him in his present condition, much less take him seriously over and above a simple "I offer my condolences to his family."

habsgirl

There was nothing wrong with Roger's statement. real friends DON'T let Jackasses (jackass=someone who'd get behind the wheel after drinking..because that to me IS a jackass)drive drunk. Pretty simple and obvious statement to me. If Dunn wasn't in fact loaded, he was negligent. No one needs to go that fast and it's against the law...guess whichever stupid move he made, he paid the ultimate price...oh yeah and his passenger too...of course the arguement can be made....anyone dumb enough to get in the car with someone drunk or a speed demon gets what they deserve...so glad they didn't hit anyone minding their own business and abiding the law....and how bout the bar...aren't they responsible too?? Roger's only mistake was not blasting them as well.

NikkiP

Technology is not the reason for "Tweeting too quickly." Ebert SHOULD know better. Everyone always wants to be the one to make light of the lesson learned in situations like this when the reality is, we already know the lesson learned, but it's going to continue to happen. Ebert should have said his condolences and left it at that.

Karen

I don't think your message was 'too soon'. If you can help save another life by educating about the dangers of drinking & driving, then I applaud you. I'm terribly sorry for the tragic loss of life in this "situation". I can't call it an accident; however, as a grown man drank & drove & ultimately killed another innocent human being. It's sad all around. I pray some good will come out of this. Perhaps Bam can get involved with using his friend's situation to help educate people about the DANGERS of drunk driving. Praying for the friends & families involved.

Misty

Are you KIDDING ME???? SERIOUSLY??? This DUMBASS goes and DRIVES DRUNK And HIS friends have THE NERVE to get ANGRY and people STATING the OBVIOUS!!! And Ebert has to APOLOGIZE?!?! HE WAS DRUNK --- HE GOT IN HIS CAR --- HE KILLED HIMSELF --- HE ALSO KILLED ANOTHER PERSON --- and it COULD HAVE BEEN MORE!!! I have NO REMORSE for this MORON. DON'T BE STUPID PEOPLE.

Mike

Bam,

It's hard for ebert to shut his ******* mouth! he can't.

Six

Roger Dat, Roger was right on! Dumbass/Jackass died...if it was my kids I would feel awful that their mistake and bad judgement had such a severe penalty, but there usually is a penalty. Let's be honest for a minute, this probably wasn't his first time, and F*&k Bam, he's a b*tch anyways.

Mike M.

Ebert didn't need to inject himself into this and point out the obvious unnecessary tragedy of Dunn's death. It was one of those "it goes without saying" things that Dunn's own actions resulted in this, he could have hurt or killed others, etc. Except Ebert decided to say it, and in a way that everyone (including Dunn's family and friends) would hear.

He's not wrong, but he could have shown a lot more class and opted to not share his opinion publicly. Just because some people value his opinion on movies doesn't mean that everyone will value his opinion on other topics.

kelly

It was cruel and insensitive and I'm sorry that was the intent. Drinking and Driving is wrong. The punishment does not fit the crime and tv stars are not role models for kids, that's their parents job. Dunn and the passenger didn't deserve to die so young and such a violent death. their are killers,cop killers and child rapist that get less punishment and more public/celebrity support. thoughts and prayers go out to dunn and hartwell's family and friends who shouldn't have to hear crap from ebert or anyone else right now.

ols

Ebert, you are still a ******* cyborg! Look at you! I can't wait for your ******* to fall out and all of your innards to follow you ******* jawless freak of nature! Then they can bury what's left next to your lover Gene Siskel. Foreign film loving jackholes. And Lander, you ******* moron, Ryan Dunn is NOT Zach Galifianakis. Get your ******* head out of that cyborg Ebert's failing *******.

Morton Redner

I not only agree with Roger Ebert but I will add to his tweet: Live like a jackass, die like a jackass.

There's a tragic vein of anti-intellectualism in the United States. There always was. It's not entirely reprehensible. For example, think of the quote from Mark Twain: I ain't got no education. I just have to use my head."

But many people, especially uneducated young people, think this concept implies something negative about intelligence. There is no substitute for intelligence. There never was. There never will be.

mindful_indulgence

I took his comment to mean that the people who let Dunn (IF he was drunk) drive shouldn't have let him get in his car with a passenger. While I appreciate his apology, it is premature for all of us to comment on the cir****tances of the accident before all facts are known.

And to the judgmental pieces of crap that are cooing about how awesome it is that two people lost their lives in a tragic accident that was all their own making -- I can't wait until the day a horrible accident befalls your friends or family and you're left to grapple with the reality that one bad decision on your loved ones part took them out. As I'm sure no one on these boards has EVER gotten behind the wheel or into the passenger's seat drunk.