Missy Elliott: I Have Graves' Disease

6/23/2011 7:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Missy Elliott just announced she has Graves' disease -- an incurable autoimmune condition affecting her thyroid.

Missy Elliott Graves Disease

Elliott tells People, she was diagnosed with the disease in 2008 -- and has been receiving radiation treatment to help alleviate symptoms like dizzy spells, lumps in her throat, mood swings, hair loss, and bulging eyes. Missy adds, "You live with it for the rest of your life."

According to Missy, the radiation was a help, but other medication made her pack on the pounds -- which she's been able to counter through exercise.

The disease isn't fatal -- and after treatment, Missy claims things couldn't be going better, "My thyroid is functioning, so I haven't had to take medication in about nine months."

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Hook

Licking ***** will give you alot of things; no surprise there....dyke.

bpatharley

Hang in there Missy. It's something that is not life threatening. I have had it for upteen years, and I live a normal life like the majority of the people on earth. For those of you who know nothing of the disease, GET A LIFE. DUMBA__ES

Jose

I also have Grave's disease and my weight goes up and down like a yoyo. If not taking care of yourself you can mostcertainly die from it. It's no joke but not the end of the world. I wish you the best missy. I had the same reaction she did with the weight lost and the big eyes. I thought i had something else. I was shaking all the time and sweating and dry skin and hair falling out.

MissyFan

I'VE BEEN WONDERING WHY SHE WAS GONE!!
Now I find out my Missy was really struggling. It breaks my heart but I'm so glad to hear she's ready to unleash Block Party.

Pb

For those of you with Graves Disease and say its no big deal you are wrong. How can it not be a big deal when effects every major function in your body? I have Graves Disease and you have to be careful with everything you do. I almost died from Graves Disease and was told by my doctor if I had not came to the dr when I did I would have been dead within 6 months.I have been living with it since 1992. I am glad she doesnt have to take the medication but unfornately I do for the rest of my life. The radiation wasnt bad. I got my treatment in Germany which was a little better. No big deal... when it effects your brain, heart, lungs and every other major function your body has. If you dont think its a big deal then dont take the medicine and see how big of a deal it is. Every six months you have to get lab work to check your levels but its not a big deal. Its safer to say it can be controlled and you can return to your normal activities but its a big deal to me.

irene

ilove miss because were together and me olso i have a gravies so one love sister for another mother

cat

God Bless you missy hope you get better soon

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5