« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Ron Artest: I'm Changing My Name ... RADICALLY

6/24/2011 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Say goodbye to Ron Artest and HELLOOOO to Metta World Peace ... Mr. Metta World Peace to you.

0623_ron_Artest_world_ex

Yes, Ron is going the way of Cassius Clay, Lew Alcindor and Chad Johnson.  Ron's filed a petition in L.A. County Superior Court to change his name to -- World Peace.

FYI, metta means loving, kindness, happiness and all that jazz.

We're told Ron wants to put the new last name -- Peace -- on the back of his L.A. Lakers' jersey.

These name changes are typically granted by a judge unless it would result in confusion or fraud.

Hey, give Peace a chance.

0623_metta_world_peace_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

lala

I like it! His old name made him sound like a criminal: Ron Arrest! This one make him sound all nice and groovy.

Norcalsally

Its good to see people change. When he was with the Kings, he was cited for animal cruelty/neglect when his dogs were found on his abandoned property and my friends saw him slap his wife in front of a club, in front of the cops.

Monica

ron artest or metta world peace? well I wouldn't especially if my name wuz THAT, but i guess it's a hollywood thing... but he is really setting himself up for some pretty high standards if he changes it but actually not any different then our real names lol funny guy!!

ballin

before people below call him an unedcuated athlete maybe you should know he is actually pretty intelligent and was a math major. Maybe you are the one who is uneducated.

realist

Lets Have Peace, **** Rockefeller, **** The rothschilds, and **** the Bilderbergs.

Du

man, its so faaaar

Ron

This is great! Go Ron!

CD

@ *****:
I like your style. But if your comment disappears it might be more due to your screen name, just sayin'.

CD

See, I can't even say it in my comment!

birdman

Its a lot better than Kareem Abdul Jabar i'll give him that.

Cynmac

@Ken - I was thinking World B. Free too. Man, I miss the 70's.

en Todo Momento!!

funny that that guy wallace is never mentioned in the fight that 'occurred'. he's the one who started all of it. what's he changing his name to? ayatolla khomeni?

appraiserman

He may be good on the court, but there is a huge rattling sound between his ears. The guy is a KOOK!

CD

Post-draft:
The Morris twins are adorable- but maybe they should change their names to Majestic and Scientific. Just sayin'.

ed

hope he doesnt decide on the spelling... wurld peess