'Columbo' Star

Peter Falk Dies

6/24/2011 10:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Peter Falk -- star of the TV show "Columbo" -- died last night ... TMZ has learned.

Peter Falk Dead
Falk -- who suffered from Alzheimer's disease -- was 83.

A rep for the family tells TMZ, "Peter Falk, 83-year-old Academy Award nominee and star of television series, 'Columbo', died peacefully at his Beverly Hills home in the evening of June 23, 2011."

The rep continued, "Peter Falk is survived by his wife, Shera, of 34 years and two daughters from a previous marriage."

In addition to "Columbo," Falk starred in "Princess Bride," "Brigadoon" and "The Great Race."

Peter's wife, Shera and daughter Catherine were locked in a legal battle in 2009 over the creation of a conservatorship for Peter and who would control it.  In the end, the judge appointed Shera conservator.

UPDATE: John Finnegan -- Falk's "Columbo" co-star -- tells TMZ, he fell literally FELL DOWN when heard the news ... “I have known Peter for over 60 years ...  He was like a brother for me, he kept the food on the table.  He was the best, great!"

0624_peter_falk_footer
tmz-top-comments-banner
@alroker @alroker

Few were better thanPeter Falk in Columbo or as Vincent J. Ricardo in The In-Laws. He will be missed.

@sethmeyers21 @sethmeyers21

RIP Peter Falk. "The In-Laws" still one of the funniest movies of all time. #SerpentineShelSerpentine.

@stephenfry @stephenfry

Oh no :( Just heard. Peter Falk, who played Columbo, TV's greatest EVER detective, has died.

tmz-top-comments-banner
@AndyMilonakis @AndyMilonakis

Rip Peter Falk. Murder By Death is the sh*t

@DougBenson @DougBenson

Peter Falk was great in THE IN-LAWS and THE GREAT RACE. #RIPColumbo

@JamesGunn @JamesGunn

RIP Peter Falk - one of my favorite actors ever.

@rainnwilson @rainnwilson

RIP Peter Falk - He was one of the greats. Watch 'Wings of Desire' to see him at his best. ,) [one eyed emoticon]

@JoyVBehar @JoyVBehar

So sorry to hear about the passing of Peter Falk.

@Alyssa_Milano @Alyssa_Milano

Rest in peace, Peter Falk. ❤

@alroker @alroker

@sethmeyers21 @sethmeyers21

@stephenfry @stephenfry

Evan Benz

Peter Falk can kiss my ass in hell.
I have NO respect for Police Impersonators.

Being a policeman is a serious job and only REAL cops should be allowed to carry the badge and wear the uniform.

F- YOU Peter Falk.

I hope you rot in hell !!!!!!!!

emerald

Just brought you a link with more info you might enjoy if not already seen it.

Evan Benz I have a feeling he won't be meeting you in hell, but hey enjoy the party, don't forget the marshmallows to toast on your ass lol!!

chaoscam

God bless you Peter, you gave me great memories as Columbo

Neoma

It is like losing an old friend......very sad.....

Face

I wonder if before his passing he turned back around and said "before I go..I just have one more question"

Still one of my favorite moves.

from tunisia

In Tunisia we really love the great actor Peter Folk. “Columbo” is not just a series,it is the art of creating a work by the great Peter Folk and today we really miss this creative spirit and this professional simplicity in the realization and the constraction of history. today you’re gone but you remain forever in our hearts. Peter Folk, we thank you for everything what you have give to our generation and all future generations. you will be missed. we love you. from Tunisia

Deb Fitz

My heart is sad. I have been watching Columbo since 1971 and still watch his episodes a couple times a week. He had a happy life with Shera who I also watched in his programs. She acted in some of the episodes with him.I am so glad you will now be able to mingle with the angels. I know they will enjoy your charm.

Jeannine Wilson

I still pee my pants laughing at him shouting: "Serpentine, Serpentine". And those horrible paintings on black velvet.

Peter Falk will be remembered as one of the greats!

Bobertbobert

Ahhh, he was a jewel who added sparkle to Mad,Mad, ..., The Great Race and was a an excellent antidote to the world he visited. So sorry, P.F.

nobleday

Max in "The Great Race" was soooo good. We love that movie. He and Professor Fate teamed up were the best.

South Beach

I loved "Columbo", a happy memory from childhood. RIP Peter and thank you.

Sal

What a Great Actor He Played that Part Too Good
My Uncle Looked Like Him we gave Him the Nckname COLUMBO

RabbleRouser

You were a great actor and will be fondly remembered.

Shady's Lady

Uhhh, just one more thing..lol.RIP-RIP

monixa