'Columbo' Star

Peter Falk Dies

6/24/2011 10:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Peter Falk -- star of the TV show "Columbo" -- died last night ... TMZ has learned.

Peter Falk Dead
Falk -- who suffered from Alzheimer's disease -- was 83.

A rep for the family tells TMZ, "Peter Falk, 83-year-old Academy Award nominee and star of television series, 'Columbo', died peacefully at his Beverly Hills home in the evening of June 23, 2011."

The rep continued, "Peter Falk is survived by his wife, Shera, of 34 years and two daughters from a previous marriage."

In addition to "Columbo," Falk starred in "Princess Bride," "Brigadoon" and "The Great Race."

Peter's wife, Shera and daughter Catherine were locked in a legal battle in 2009 over the creation of a conservatorship for Peter and who would control it.  In the end, the judge appointed Shera conservator.

UPDATE: John Finnegan -- Falk's "Columbo" co-star -- tells TMZ, he fell literally FELL DOWN when heard the news ... “I have known Peter for over 60 years ...  He was like a brother for me, he kept the food on the table.  He was the best, great!"

0624_peter_falk_footer
tmz-top-comments-banner
@alroker @alroker

Few were better thanPeter Falk in Columbo or as Vincent J. Ricardo in The In-Laws. He will be missed.

@sethmeyers21 @sethmeyers21

RIP Peter Falk. "The In-Laws" still one of the funniest movies of all time. #SerpentineShelSerpentine.

@stephenfry @stephenfry

Oh no :( Just heard. Peter Falk, who played Columbo, TV's greatest EVER detective, has died.

tmz-top-comments-banner
@AndyMilonakis @AndyMilonakis

Rip Peter Falk. Murder By Death is the sh*t

@DougBenson @DougBenson

Peter Falk was great in THE IN-LAWS and THE GREAT RACE. #RIPColumbo

@JamesGunn @JamesGunn

RIP Peter Falk - one of my favorite actors ever.

@rainnwilson @rainnwilson

RIP Peter Falk - He was one of the greats. Watch 'Wings of Desire' to see him at his best. ,) [one eyed emoticon]

@JoyVBehar @JoyVBehar

So sorry to hear about the passing of Peter Falk.

@Alyssa_Milano @Alyssa_Milano

Rest in peace, Peter Falk. ❤

@alroker @alroker

@sethmeyers21 @sethmeyers21

@stephenfry @stephenfry

CJ

So Sad :( Princess Bride is one of my all time favorite chick flicks and Columbo, well do i really need to say more. RIP Mr. Falk

P.S. I saw that another poster was looking for columbo reruns they are on the hallmark channel i think or one of the channels near it.

Rhubino

He did a movie with John Cassavetes called "Mikey & Nicky". Very very unusual but brilliant movie. RIP.

ginny

hollywood, jerk and you wish you had 1/2 the talent any good actor has.

Stephanie

There was NOBODY like Columbo.

RIP Peter Falk - what a legacy you leave!

What Da

What was the last thing that Peter Falk said before he died?
",,,eh, excuse me but, one more question...."

WillOTheWisp

AWWWWW MAYNE!!!!
I really like Peter Falk.
My Condolences to his family and friends.
What the falk is this 'Alzheimer's' crap all about anyways???
It seems like we're hearing about this damn disease every time you turn around!!!
My kinfolks made it into their 90's and 100's, and it was only their bodies that gave out, not their minds.
What the falk are they putting in our water systems and food???
Damn, another great actor gone on into the next dimension!!
R.I.P. Mr. Falk.

fred

He was a good actor and a nice guy , we will be missed !

writenow

Wait...just one more question if you don't mind....

JugEars McKenyan Sr..

Ironically one of his famous quotes was "I'm just trying to get through the day"....he got through 30,295 of them his way. ;(

Drew

Oh, so sorry to hear this news. Mr. Falk, your style will not easily be replaced or forgotten. You were one of the good guys. R.I.P Lieutenant Columbo :(

Jules Destaing

One of the GREATS.
"Just one more thing".....

We will miss you

jim

Peter, OOOO Just one more thing???? . I love you We all LOve YOu. You were like are dad who never gave up , you were like that uncle that never forgot. Peter Just one more thing ????? We Will Never Forget You .

Love Jim :)

CoolKid

Very respectable man and a unique actor. I may be young @ 16 but I've seen a lot of his shows now and he was fun.

RIP - will be missed.

als

RIP Colombo. I loved the movie Pocket Full of Miracles.

The P

R.I.P
For me, the best inspector ever....he is not replaceable